Pricing Reality Check!

swaaye said:
This was when Computer Shopper was still 5lbs/issue. (Wish I still had some of those!).

Yup...I bought my first computer (386 SX-20) and many components through good ol' Computer Shopper...including that Media Vision Pro-Audio Spectrum 16 advertised in the first post in this thread. ;)

CPUs are not bad at all. You only pay high prices for the really high end ones. Take for instance that you can get a A64 3000+ for around $130. That's a pretty damn amazing value. Very very good performance, and its cheap. And if you're into OCing the Venice's just simply awesome.

aaah the good ol' Diamond Stealth Pro, I remember that card soooo well. Along with the Diamond Fast Bus motherboard.

Anyone notice Ultima VII going for 49.95?

Skrying said:
CPUs are not bad at all. You only pay high prices for the really high end ones. Take for instance that you can get a A64 3000+ for around $130. That's a pretty damn amazing value. Very very good performance, and its cheap. And if you're into OCing the Venice's just simply awesome.
Look at my signature :p I realize that it is a good deal. That wasn't my point.

I have already linked in another thread to information about this.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showth...794#post629794
Basically it seems that ATI/Nvidia, Intel/AMD have settled in a way for high prices on the high end, and the CPU manufacturers more so, but hey at least AMD is no longer in the Red day in and day out..

My theory on this is kind of crazy but bear with it.
I think that when their products are pretty competitive with eachother for awhile it actually breeds a sort of pricing complacency and when there is one clear winner in the publics eye it makes a price war start, but I believe that like everything it takes a bit of time.

Back