pre-compiled GLSL

purpledog

Newcomer
As far as I can tell there's no way to pre-compile GLSL code.

I understand the need to make sure the right piece of code is sent to a given GPU+driver but in the other hand this is immensely frustrating not to be able to do basic caching optimization.

And in the end, what's wrong about OS/hardware dependant code? After all, an awful lot of people are dealing with that with C++. Off course that doesn't make anybody's life easier but simply removing it looks like a needless amputation.

But maybe there's a workaround... Any idea?

If not, well, this is a message for the vendors: hurry up! :D

Even if openGL 3 was released and great and everything, it won't be a solution for me as I stuck with the old API at least for a couple of years... :cry:

Still, just out of curiosty, I tried to get some information related to your statement but I could not find anything about pre-compiling glsl shader on GL3. Do you have a reference by any chance...

A "glFX run-time format" is being discussed at the following link, is it what you are refering to?
http://www.khronos.org/library/detail/siggraph_2007_opengl_birds_of_a_feather_bof_presentation/

Anyway... NVIDIA people... Pleeeeaaaaaaase!!!!

Even if openGL 3 was released and great and everything, it won't be a solution for me as I stuck with the old API at least for a couple of years... :cry:

Still, just out of curiosty, I tried to get some information related to your statement but I could not find anything about pre-compiling glsl shader on GL3. Do you have a reference by any chance...

A "glFX run-time format" is being discussed at the following link, is it what you are refering to?
http://www.khronos.org/library/detail/siggraph_2007_opengl_birds_of_a_feather_bof_presentation/

Anyway... NVIDIA people... Pleeeeaaaaaaase!!!!

Hmm, brainfart? :oops:

Cant find it now, either i was remembering the ES thingy or the 3dlabs thingy. IIRC 3dlabs had binary shaders, back then when they did real-men 3d, of course, i might just getting senile.

Exactly, thanks for the ref. I always thought that openglES was more like a subset of openlGL but apparently, to some extent, it is just better!

Anyway, if they can do it for embedded device, they can do it for mainstream CPU... So why the hell don't they do it know!!!

Ok, enough ranting, I guess that's enough noise for today :devilish:

Thanks for your help :smile:

There is no support or planned support for compile shaders in GL. And about GL3 noone... knows when and if it will be released or what it will include, so all speculations are pointless. I personally would be happy if they just release the GL ES 2.0 for desktop, with some improvements and more consistent way to tell if stuff is supported...

Back