Activision Developers take on Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pozer said:
Sounds about right. But we've known from the beginning developing for the cell would require a paradigm shift in programming.

If you had some yardwork that had to be done. Hiring the XeCPU would be like hiring 3 teenagers who each brought 3 slacker friends and they had to share some tools. Hiring the Cell would be like hiring 1 adult who brought his 8 children.

:LOL:

That 240Gflops number seems really strange. That would be 80GFlops per core or 25Flops per cycle and core.

25 = 1 + 3x8..... 1 for the FPU and 8 for every VPU/Altivec unit.

Could the schema about the XBox CPU be true that was posted here weeks ago? This showed more or less 2 fullblown VPU's and one special VPU per core.

If that would be true then the 240GFlops figure could make sense at least as an marketing number like the marketing Gflops from Sony.

He hasn't worked with the hardware so, simple as that. Funny how he's the only dev to complain about the ps3.

Pozer said:
If you had some yardwork that had to be done. Hiring the XeCPU would be like hiring 3 teenagers who each brought 3 slacker friends and they had to share some tools. Hiring the Cell would be like hiring 1 adult who brought his 8 children.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
That's one of the funniest things I've read hear. Are those Cell kids well behaved?

Let me correct that. You have 7 kids to do the work, the 8th kid would be the one that makes sure the other 7 do their job correctly ;)

cobragt said:
Let me correct that. You have 7 kids to do the work, the 8th kid would be the one that makes sure the other 7 do their job correctly ;)
A better analogy would be that one of the kids had a horrible accident with a mower and can't do any work ;)

Why is it that Microsoft and its fans like to post this stuff so much more often?

How can anyone say the method for calculating theorectical flops on the Cell was any different than that of the XCPU? This is the first I've heard claims of such... The entire system flop count is junk on both sides -- they added flops of the GPU and CPU together (and who knows how they feasibly calculated flops on the GPU on either side).

When will people learn not to take things from the xbox forum as gospel?

It's silly -- both sides have lots of stupid rumors...

cobragt said:
DeanoC, you are a dev, do you agree with activision? They seem abit bias
What are some points activision made you dont agree with?

I think its safe to say this isn't from an Activision dev.

Bobbler said:
cobragt said:
DeanoC, you are a dev, do you agree with activision? They seem abit bias
What are some points activision made you dont agree with?

I think its safe to say this isn't from an Activision dev.
I wouldn't doubt it was from a fanboy because if activison is complaining, why isn't Epic complaining and I hear gameinformer reports John Carmack jumping on the ps3 bandwagon and that's exciting.

I've heard similar complaints from a friend who works at Ubi. She does the webdesign for some of their games and was even thanked in Rayman 3. I won't reveal her identity but I'm sure more than a few of you visit her forum every now and again. SHe basically says the Cell is somewhat of a disaster and that is the real reason Kutaragi was demoted.

cobragt said:
I wouldn't doubt it was from a <bleep> because if activison is complaining, why isn't Epic complaining and I hear gameinformer reports John Carmack jumping on the ps3 bandwagon and that's exciting.

A couple days after E3, I emailed John Carmack asking him about next-gen consoles, and this what he replied:

The only comment I feel confident making at the moment is that software development will be much easier on the microsoft platform because of the processor decisions they made. There are pros and cons to the graphics strategies of each platform.

He's talking about the PS3, not Revolution.

P.S: Using an BugMeNot account.

whats his email address

Bobbler

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:09 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is it that Microsoft and its fans like to post this stuff so much more often?

How can anyone say the method for calculating theorectical flops on the Cell was any different than that of the XCPU? This is the first I've heard claims of such... The entire system flop count is junk on both sides -- they added flops of the GPU and CPU together (and who knows how they feasibly calculated flops on the GPU on either side).

When will people learn not to take things from the xbox forum as gospel?

It's silly -- both sides have lots of stupid rumors...

I agree, but I'm concerned though, about the reason why KK was demoted. SO basically, you can get to the theoretical max of Cell, just that it will be a worse time then utilising the VU0 and VU1 to do so.

If this is true, that better have a rabbit out the ass GPU. KK better make those dreams a tad bit more feasible. Cause this is what x-boy fanboys will use to talk more S*** for the coming years

gosh said:
X360's CPU == 240 Gflop with 1 thread per core, Ps3 CPU == 218 Gflop - TOTAL when you ADD the 2 threads running on the PPE... if we take the same standpoint as sony.... X360's CPU is 480Gflops... thats >2XPs3.... we just need the numbers on the GFX Cards."

What is this nonsense? From this alone I'm ready to discount the rest; it's hard to tell what's spin, what's real, and what's lack of information on this guys part in that excerpt. Why is it that everyone lately seems to be such an idiot when it comes to calculating CPU performance. First the ATI guy with 20 GHz and now this double-threaded 480 GFlops nonsense. Not that I'm not interested in where that totally bogus 240 number came from as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back