Activision Developers take on Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad the CPUs in the x360 and ps3 are so different because that means the common denominator of capabilities will be smaller and we will get lower quality multiconsole releases. Kinda nice though they have equal amount of RAM to offset this.

Still I imagine rather than optimizing 1 program for cell, to get the most out of it, you need optimize a bunch of mini-programs. I guess timing issue will be the big headache. Still I can see a bunch of overworked programmers praying for a MS win this coming gen.

@ cobragt : There is no 8th SPE. Mr. Cell was aware he had an octuplet of kids on the way, but realizing the likelihood of ALL of them being born fit and well was pretty remote, only bought clothers and cots for 7 of them. If all eight are fit and well, one stays at home doing nothing while the other seven join Mr. Cell slugging away at computer games and media enterainments (which they're totally incapable of doing by some accounts)

it's fake.
A real low level, experienced, game coder wouldn't make a so high number of gross mistakes as he/she did.
Any effort devoted to reply to him would be a waste of time, it's better to get some sleep (are you listening Faf? ;) )
G'night!

xbdestroya said:
What is this nonsense? From this alone I'm ready to discount the rest; it's hard to tell what's spin, what's real, and what's lack of information on this guys part in that excerpt. Why is it that everyone lately seems to be such an idiot when it comes to calculating CPU performance. First the ATI guy with 20 GHz and now this double-threaded 480 GFlops nonsense. Not that I'm not interested in where that totally bogus 240 number came from as well...

X360's CPU == 240 Gflop with 1 thread per core, Ps3 CPU == 218 Gflop - TOTAL when you ADD the 2 threads running on the PPE... if we take the same standpoint as sony.... X360's CPU is 480Gflops... thats >2XPs3.... we just need the numbers on the GFX Cards."

all he's saying is the way sony calculated the GFLOPS was ridiculous, then he gave an example of an equally ridiculous calculation for the 360.

scooby_dooby said:
xbdestroya said:
What is this nonsense? From this alone I'm ready to discount the rest; it's hard to tell what's spin, what's real, and what's lack of information on this guys part in that excerpt. Why is it that everyone lately seems to be such an idiot when it comes to calculating CPU performance. First the ATI guy with 20 GHz and now this double-threaded 480 GFlops nonsense. Not that I'm not interested in where that totally bogus 240 number came from as well...

X360's CPU == 240 Gflop with 1 thread per core, Ps3 CPU == 218 Gflop - TOTAL when you ADD the 2 threads running on the PPE... if we take the same standpoint as sony.... X360's CPU is 480Gflops... thats >2XPs3.... we just need the numbers on the GFX Cards."

all he's saying is the way sony calculated the GFLOPS was ridiculous, then he gave an example of an equally ridiculous calculation for the 360.

Problem is that even 240 Gflops is ridiculus number..I believe XCPU's flops number is 115Gflops, even using "Sony"'s method.

I can't resist..sorry :(
1) XECPU it's NOT rated at 240 gigaflop/s, it's half of that figure
2) Sony is not counting 2 times the same flops as he does, I don't know what he's smoking but I want to smoke the same stuff ;)
Seven SPEs alone peak at 180 Gigaflop/s :rolleyes:

give it a rest scooby, the numbers don't add up, in any way, first of all xbox cpu don't have 240gflops , second even with 2 threads per core you can run only 1 thread per vmx , so you can't get double flops anyway, and on top of that M$ gave a PEAK flops number at 112 gflops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back