Post your breaking NV30 news links here!

DadUM said:
Ace's was quoting a peak data transfer using 128-bit bus and 400 MHz of 100 GB/sec. To all those who say 256-bit is a necessity, there are other ways. Don't get caught thinking there is only one way to do things.

A 128 bit bus for Yellowstone would use roughly the same amount of signal pins as a 256 bit SDRAM bus (because it uses differential signalling).

and now we know how fast this is suposed to be and yet we still don't know how fast it is. Slower or faster than the current r300... who knows ? Not I .

no_way said:
http://www.hwupgrade.it/articoli/734/1.html
its italian, i believe :p
Nice find, no_way. :)

Hmm. Colour compression? So they're compressing the complete framebuffer, now?

ta,
-Sascha.rb

Sabastian said:
Even though that the NV30 is rumored to use only a 128bit bus that card looks expensive to build ... relatively speaking of course.

The TMDS is not an integrated one, and it is equipped with a better video decoder Philips SAA7114H, comparing to other VIVO cards. But SAA7114H is only a video decoder, I wonder if there will be a video encoder on the back, or it is built in with the Geforce FX.

But yet, nothing on video acceleration have been mentioned, e.g. MPEG2 decoding, video scaling and deinterlacing, ...

pocketmoon_ said:
So from the italian 'preview' (via bablefish) we have

400Mhz part, 128-bit bus and something called intellisample...

Yes, the Intellisample is the buzzword, IMHO. That seems to cover all the new technologies of the chip (aka Color Compression, Color Buffer Fast Clear, Dynamic Gamma Correction, Adaptive Texture Filtering and new AA-method).

EDIT: The list...

Joe DeFuria said:
....becuase as of today there are no Nv30's running at 500mhz.

I agree with that. IF there are no benchmarks run on actual sample hardware, that only means one thing: nVidia's current sample hardware is not running at target speed. And if it's not running at target speed now, there is no guarantee that the shipping product will reach target speed.

An alternate explanation would be that their drivers are seriously lacking in some way. I consider it far less likely than hardware problems with the hardware delays and all, but possible if you consider that redesigning drivers to be more optimized for the new architecture might have been made a priority to compare more favorably with the R300 (i.e., it might not compare favorably without such changes to the drivers). This is assuming the new architecture has such opportunities for performance gains from driver optimization, which I think is a fair assumption.

darkblu said:
Sabastian said:
maskrider said:

Even though that the NV30 is rumored to use only a 128bit bus that card looks expensive to build ... relatively speaking of course.

holy munchkins! and you conclude that over a piccy? and realtive to what?

Well aside from being a huge card packed with DDRII and nearly twice as many capacitors etc... The Radeon 9700 pro while having a 10 layer PCB seems to be considerably more compact. I am not saying that indeed the NV30 is more expensive to produce but it certainly appears to be a physically larger card.

card_front.jpg

From nvnews IRC channel
<GraphixViolence> We're looking forward to one mean piece of paper
8)

I believe the italian "pre"view has all the infos you are gonna see today. I.e. no benchmarks, no review samples, just more of paper specs and marketing bs.
im going home

Edit: aye, the one and only interesting piece of information was, that it indeed DOES have some kind of gamma-correction built into fragment processor.

Evildeus said:
What's the black connector in the middle/left of the NV30 card?

I guess may be for more video inputs/outputs (if there is a video encoder at the back or a built in one), for sure just a guess.

no_way said:
From nvnews IRC channel
<GraphixViolence> We're looking forward to one mean piece of paper
8)

I believe the italian "pre"view has all the infos you are gonna see today. I.e. no benchmarks, no review samples, just more of paper specs and marketing bs.

Agreed but I'm waiting for the tech papers about those buzzwords...

Back