post something that people usually don't know about your country

Finland was the only Axis nation that didn´t get totally invaded at the end of World War 2. We flirted with Hitler, things didn´t work out that well. Stalin tried to put us to his pocket twice but found out this hedgehog had spikes... made of moneys! Paid massive war reparations to Stalin... Now every Finn is wondering if we could declare and win a war against Sweden. After all we did win them in hockey world championships finals twice!

The Welsh are awesome. Ask some bloke for the time and ten hours later you're both passed out near the dart boards in a pub along with twenty other people. Very friendly place.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little known fact about New Zealand is that its a part of Australia.
or you could say oz is the west island of nz! though true it used to be part of oz.
actually the north island/ south island of nz have never been officially called that

Although the island has been known as the North Island for many years,[3] the New Zealand Geographic Board has found that, along with the South Island, it has no official name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_island
the New Zealand Geographic Board is really on the ball, its only taken them what 150 years to realize

*insert Irish and Scottish also - not that they are unliked by the Welsh, but that they have similar attitudes toward the English.

The noon bell commemorates the Hungarian victory over the Ottoman Turk in 1456 by Janos Hunyadi at Nandorfehervar (today known as Belgrade), throughout the Christian world, as has been ordered by the Pope.

The list of important inventions by hungarian people is far too long for this post; some of them include:
- pretty much the computer, by Janos Neumann
- vitamin C, by Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
- the Rubik Cube by Erno Rubik
- holography
- the ballpoint pen
- nuclear chain reaction, and the hydrogen bomb too

Ironically, most of these people emigrated from Hungary before their discoveries and inventions.

Okay, that was a discovery ;) People learned to take lemon juice for long sea voyages a long time ago, but they did not know why they had to do it.

You could also ask if there were any nuclear reactions before Leo Szilard ;)

Okay, that was a discovery ;) People learned to take lemon juice for long sea voyages a long time ago, but they did not know why they had to do it.
Yeah, I've been called a Limey by americans on occasion. I guess it's from when we used to go and visit to make sure the kids were taking care of themselves alright.
You could also ask if there were any nuclear reactions before Leo Szilard ;)

I thought about that but I might have had to use long words and confuse myself.

In England, it is illegal to be drunk in a pub.

A token one for my country of residence:
In German they use the same word for 'if' and 'when'. I still haven't got my head round how to say to someone "If I X then Y" or "When I X then Y" specifically.

A token one for my country of residence:
In German they use the same word for 'if' and 'when'. I still haven't got my head round how to say to someone "If I X then Y" or "When I X then Y" specifically.

Simple: Use "falls" for "if", "wenn" for "when".

Simple: Use "falls" for "if", "wenn" for "when".

Why haven't my German teacher or native partner been able to tell me that! :devilish:

Thanks! :smile:

Falls ich machen das oder wenn ich machen das. Richtig? Sie haben die selbe stellung in ein satz?

Last edited by a moderator:
All over the world there are old laws that are never enforced any more (and even contrary to newer laws) but still on the books.

Back