post something that people usually don't know about your country

argor

Newcomer
post something that people usually don't know about your country
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iceland has deserts

Americans are born with webbed toes and the ability to breath underwater. I'll bet you didn't know that.

Australians are born and immediately placed in the pouch of a Kangaroo and bottle fed Fosters.

Sweden is a highly capitalist economy and beats the US in 7 out of 10 sub-scores in the heritage foundation index of economic freedom.

Estonians once got pretty close to occupying Russia, or at least large areas of it.

Also, icebears are called polarbears everywhere except in Norway :p

Independence Day is no longer a celebration of America's independence from Great Britain. Rather, it's an organized holiday where our father's drink heavily at barbeques and chase their children around with roman candles.

I don't have many country-specific facts, rather a few state-specific ones;

Massachusetts and Maine are the only two states that celebrate Patriots' Day, commemorating the anniversary of the battle of Lexington and Concord during the American Revolutionary War. It's considered a "civic holiday" where most businesses close, so their employees can watch parades for the hundredth time.

Contrary to popular belief, due to the depiction of us in the influx of Boston-based movies, not every Bostonian has a thick Boston accent. We don't all "pahk the cah in the Hahvahd Yahd."

Charlestown is not the bank robbery capital of the United States. Sorry, Ben Affleck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Australians are born and immediately placed in the pouch of a Kangaroo and bottle fed Fosters.
You were right.. up to the point of saying "Fosters".

What I can say is that drop bears kill and maim more tourists in Australia than sharks, crocs and snakes combined.

Massachusetts and Maine are the only two states that celebrate Patriots' Day, commemorating the anniversary of the battle of Lexington and Concord during the American Revolutionary War. It's considered a "civic holiday" where most businesses close, so their employees can watch parades for the hundredth time.

I think it is probably fair to give an employee a day off if it would be the 100th time they saw an annual event :p (Just how hard do Centenarians have to work?!)

The British Monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, owns BP and runs the Bilderberg Group.

It's true - _xxx_ told me so.

She may also be a space lizard.

Not my country per se, but it is my parent's, Pakistan.
Alexander the Great is known as Sikander in the region and there are still place holders in memory of Sikander near where my village is in Azad Kashmir/Jhleum region of the Punjab. (

Algebra was a known mathematical system to the Babylonians - it was the work of Al-Khwarizmi (The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing) that that lay the rules and foundation for modern algebra, moving it away from being tied to arithmetic and geometry. He is thought to be Persian and he did indeed use Indian numerals in his works which were adopted by the Arabs of the time (and thus the rest of the world.) The word algorithm actually comes directly from his latin name - Algoritmi.

One for England too as it is my birth nation :) - "There are more chickens than humans in England."

Since this is in the news at present (price of milk)
nz is the largest exporter of dairy products and meat in the world,
yet the price we pay for these items in the supermarket is higher than a lot of other countries

Back