Possession for Revolution

pc999

Veteran
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4530

The latest Revolution Game had been revealed. Published by Blitz Games, Possession will also be released on PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

It seems that Rev will receive quite a few multiplatform games, plus this looks like a demanding title so Rev should have more than 2-3x the GC in terms of specs(
"real-time skin degradation in the zombies with the use of multiple-layered texture and normal maps while a physics-driven limb damage system enables the characters to be mutilated and decapitated as they are attacked.
), Rev looks each time better.

I guess that this news is a result of Rev dev kits starting to get out for more devs.

Edit:Just to not creat a new thread, 1 more rumor

Next Gen Bond game coming

We are looking for the top talented people in the industry to work on the next gen platforms -PS3, Xbox360 and Nintendo Revolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW for a more official suport and comfirmation of higher specs than the 2-3x GC go to the developer official site then technologie and flame and you will see this

Vertex and pixel shader editor
Real-time shaders are an essential part of any cutting edge visual effects system. Flame is an integrated editor for creating and editing vertex and pixel shaders, giving artists and programmers full control over the vertex and pixel pipeline to create an infinite range of surface effects with support for all the latest graphic technologies.

In light of announcements by hardware manufacturers it is clear that shaders play an important role across all emerging console platforms from PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 through Revolution to the PC. With powerful shader editing and preview built right into Flare and the engine, the system is well placed to take full advantage of this exciting technology.

So I guess it is official, we can finally relieve a bit more about the Rev specs

BTW the rest of the engine details

Effects library
The Flare database contains a growing array of ready to use shader effects that can be instantly applied to any asset. Effects such as environmental reflection mapping, detail maps, specular shading, caustic effects, cartoon shading, cubic environment maps and per-pixel lighting.

Multi-layer effects
Complex materials may be composed of several layered texture stages, each fine-tuning the shade of every pixel.

Normal maps
Flame has full support for the generation and application of normal mapped materials, allowing massively high detail characters and models to be displayed using low detail meshes with little loss of perceived detail.

Integrated interactive editing
Flame is an integrated part of the Flare Editor where artists and programmers can instantly preview their changes in real-time.

I'm sorry, as big of a Nintendo fan as I am, how in the world does this confirm higher specs for the Rev? We have no idea what the game will look like on the Rev compared to other consoles. Nor do we know if the game is really pushing the 360 and PS3 at all.

Hardknock said:
We have no idea what the game will look like on the Rev compared to other consoles.

Actually, we do, but our mothers taught us not to use this kind of words in public ;-)

Hardknock said:
I'm sorry, as big of a Nintendo fan as I am, how in the world does this confirm higher specs for the Rev? We have no idea what the game will look like on the Rev compared to other consoles. Nor do we know if the game is really pushing the 360 and PS3 at all.

I hope that you arent making confution between High and Higher(than the 2-3x GC), because I am sure that no overclocked to Gamecube would do vertex/pixel shaders, and "it is clear that shaders play an important role" make us think that there is a good deal of them so it is not only a implementation of that but a (relative) powerfull of that, plus if (like the article say) it can use the full Flame engine ishould be able to do "Effects such as environmental reflection mapping, detail maps, specular shading, caustic effects, cartoon shading, cubic environment maps and per-pixel lighting." all of this.

Plus a action-RTS in a 3D up to 1000 zombies with this knid of features(real-time skin degradation in the zombies with the use of multiple-layered texture and normal maps while a physics-driven limb damage system enables the characters to be mutilated and decapitated as they are attacked), even if they reduce that to 1/10 it should have requirements much more advanced than a 2-3x GC.

I cant see how do you say that this dont mean higher specs than 2-3x GC, but please tell me.

BTW I agre that the game dont look good at all (compared to others games) but it is easy to see that is not even nearly able to be done in current gen, a few links

Hardknock said:

I don't think you're taking enough time to read what PC999 has written.

BTW nice detective work there PC :)

Teasy said:
I don't think you're taking enough time to read what PC999 has written.

BTW nice detective work there PC :)

Thanks for the negative feedback.

But like I clearly stated, we have no idea of what the game looks like on Rev. It could be a completely different and scaled down engine with less effects. This information means nothing as far as the power of the Rev is concerned.

It's best to wait for specs to be released.

Hardknock said:
Thanks for the negative feedback.

But like I clearly stated, we have no idea of what the game looks like on Rev. It could be a completely different and scaled down engine with less effects. This information means nothing as far as the power of the Rev is concerned.

It's best to wait for specs to be released.

What the game looks like isn't the point really, the comment on pixel and vertex shaders playing an important role for Revolution shows that the systems specs are higher then a lot of people think (overclocked GC..).

Having said that, just how much do you think a game like this can really scale? The use of several hundred characters on screen is integral to the game. The fact that those characters are fully destructable with real time skin damage in a massive free roaming city also sounds like its pretty integral to the game.

Teasy said:
What the game looks like isn't relivant, the comment on pixel and vertex shaders playing an important role for Revolution shows that the systems GPU is not simply an overclocked GC.

1) Would you guys let me know who thinks Rev is literally an overclocked GC?
2) Understand that "pixel and vertex shaders" applies just as well to a "souped up x-box" as it does to XBox360 and PS3.

Joe DeFuria said:
1) Would you guys let me know who thinks Rev is literally an overclocked GC?
2) Understand that "pixel and vertex shaders" applies just as well to a "souped up x-box" as it does to XBox360 and PS3.

Thank you. I've been wondering about this "overclocked GC" thing too for a long time. I mean, isn't 360 basically an "overclocked Xbox with a few new things thrown in"? Same for PS3. Obviously the difference between PS2 and PS3 is bigger than Xbox to X360, but still...

If Revolution has decent shaders and new other features and is much faster than GC, it will be as much an overclocked GC as the other 2 are relative to their older versions.

Believe it or not Joe but loads of people around the internet believe that Revolution will be purely an overclocked GameCube since IGN's article. Take a look around if you want to know who, they're just random usernames to me :)

london-boy said:
Thank you. I've been wondering about this "overclocked GC" thing too for a long time.

Where it comes from is some developer comments on the "power" of the Revolution...said something like "overclock the GC 2-3x, and that's about right" or somthing like that. They also said along the lines of "souped up x-box 1."

Now, the "sane" people here interpret that to mean that Rev simply isn't going to have the power of XBox 360 and PS3, which one would typically associate with "10x" the power of previous consoles.

However, when we say this, the Nintnedo "defenders" typically swoop in and say "it won't be an overclocked GC!" Which of course, no one ever said....

People take developer comments too literally and get all defensive about them.

From the rendering side, I fully expect DX9 type shaders (though perhaps not quite as fully featured as Xenos / RSX), just considerably less powerful in terms of throughput. Won't be driving high-resolutions of course, and whether or not they dedicate silicon to "low performance hit AA" is questionable.

Teasy said:
Believe it or not Joe but loads of people around the internet believe that Revolution will be purely an overclocked GameCube since IGN's article. Take a look around if you want to know who, they're just random usernames to me :)

Well, I'm thinking in this forum here...anyone? I mean I'm sure there are loads of people "around the internet" that think Revolution will be more powerful that 360 and PS3 too...

london-boy said:
Thank you. I've been wondering about this "overclocked GC" thing too for a long time. I mean, isn't 360 basically an "overclocked Xbox with a few new things thrown in"?

No, it uses a totally different CPU architecture, and a very different GPU, it definitely can't be described as an overclocked XBox. The people who call Revolution a overclocked GC really believe it is purely an overclocked GC, just GC chips at a higher clock speed. Insane, but true :)

I would take overclocled as "it does the same (results), and only the same, but faster/beter", in that way I would consider the XB--->XB360 not a overclocked version of system the first system.

The definition still may give you the chance to make a overclocked enterteiment system, till some extent (as many think), I guess, but that is not the point.

And taking in account that the infamus IGN article sugest a overclocked in that sense (and put a lot of people thinking that it would be, even many here if you search in a few old Rev threads), I think that this is a good way to prove them wrong, and show that we will probably see games much better (specs based wise) than just a 2-3x GC (TnL) should gave, cant see why people are making such a big deal of that.

Edit: BTW about the Bond game

Joe DeFuria said:
Well, I'm thinking in this forum here...anyone? I mean I'm sure there are loads of people "around the internet" that think Revolution will be more powerful that 360 and PS3 too...

In this forum?, who knows, take a look back at some of the threads on this subject and I'm sure you'll find some. As for people around the net thinking Revolution will be more powerful then 360 or even PS3, I doubt you'd find a single person..

Joe DeFuria said:
Where it comes from is some developer comments on the "power" of the Revolution...said something like "overclock the GC 2-3x, and that's about right" or somthing like that.

FYI "power" was never mentioned.

Now, the "sane" people here interpret that to mean that Rev simply isn't going to have the power of XBox 360 and PS3, which one would typically associate with "10x" the power of previous consoles.

However, when we say this, the Nintnedo "defenders" typically swoop in and say "it won't be an overclocked GC!" Which of course, no one ever said

You know, I don't remember arguing with you on how powerful the console might be or what its features might be, in fact we pretty much agreed on that. So what on earth are you talking about here?

The latest issue of Edge describes the Revolution as an "evolution" of the Gamecube. Of course, this is just a broad statement likely gleamed from any number of sources, but I would not take the existence of programmable vertex and pixel shaders (a feature that's been in consumer level graphics hardware longer than the Gamecube has been around) as evidence of a vastly more powerful solution than what's been hinted at so far.

Teasy said:
No, it uses a totally different CPU architecture, and a very different GPU, it definitely can't be described as an overclocked XBox. The people who call Revolution a overclocked GC really believe it is purely an overclocked GC, just GC chips at a higher clock speed. Insane, but true :)

Oh, well if anything i was thinking of more along the lines of a "GC just faster", not technically an overclock of the GC chips, which i don't even think would be possible without changing the architectures of the chips anyway! :D

Joe DeFuria said:
Which is my point...exactly who are you trying to prove wrong?

IGN and those that belive in IGN (and they are many, even here, just make a search for old threads).

Anyway my second post here just shows that it is not a overclocked GC, yet in my first I ask/hint if we can take "Possession in Rev" as a prove that it should be considerable more powerfull (not as powerfull as the others) than GC, meybe is because of that a bigger confuntion over the thread :oops: (which, as Teasy showed, I think that we should or at least could suposse so).

Back