Porsche calls Nissan cheaters!

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
Porsche tested their own GTR around nurburgring and claims its impossible to reach the 07:29 time in a standart production GTR.

The best lap time they managed in a stock GTR was 07:54.

Porsche's chief engineers say its impossible make a stock GTR go around the nurburgring in 07:29, unless Nissan used racing slicks, thus not making it a production car.

According to Porsche their Porsche Turbo goes around nurburgring in 7:38, meanwhile their GT2 managed 7:34.

Porsche says the Nissan GTR is a well build car, but its far to heavy to manage the supposed lap time without racing slicks.
Norwegian source (biggest newspaper in norway)

The 997 Turbo has the same amount of horsepower and weights 200kg less, makes no sense why the GTR should be faster.

25 seconds is a bit much to attribute to driver skill I'd imagine at the level those guys should be at.

Between me and an amateur there could easily be a minute (in the amateurs advantage ofc) but between pro's the difference should be much much less.

What about driver skill? :p

While Nissan used their own factory drivers, i doubt the difference between porsche factory drivers vs nissan is that big. Between professional drivers, the differences should be very very small, not only that but factory porsche drivers pretty much live at nurburgring.

Further, Porsche often use Sabine or that other guy (there are two resisdent professional drivers at nurburgring) as independent testers (between the two of them they have 95% of all track records on nurburgring for cars.).

I doubt that driving skill can amount to that much, even thought the track is long. I also doubt that a japanese factory driver is better at nurburgring considering how much time they spend there, and how porsches has dominated the nurburgring 24h race the last 3-4 years.

Yeah I am a bit skeptical about the Nissan GTRs performance. always have been as a matter of fact. Its just sheer physics. That car is a lot of weight to haul around with that engine output to provide those kinds of numbers. I am betting the road car cannot do that but their highly modified factory tweaked with nismo components probably could do that. Still kudos to Porsche to challenge them.

What this tells me is that there's enough people in the world that believe petrol is still too cheap.

I doubt that driving skill can amount to that much, even thought the track is long. I also doubt that a japanese factory driver is better at nurburgring considering how much time they spend there, and how porsches has dominated the nurburgring 24h race the last 3-4 years.

Or they could have used Jeroen Bleekemolen. He just won the Porsche Supercup (911 GT3s). He won 24 hours at Le Mans in a Porsche RS Spyker in the LMP2 class, and he won the LMP2 class with Verstappen at Nurburgring in the Le Mans Series in the middle of august.

I agree, Porsche wouldn't fail on drivers

Cheers

I thought ZR-1 Corvette trounced them all. That guy sure as heck hit the rev limiter a lot of times if that video you posted is the one I am thinking of.

The fact remains the GTR IS much faster around virtually every track it's been tested on so I think it's just soar grapes on their part.

Reason why it can be heavier and faster at the same time is all to do with the computers. It matters not one jot if they "lied" about how fast in goes round the ring as it's proven more than a match for Porsches best on numerous tracks despite costing much less.

Suck it up Porsche :LOL:

I thought ZR-1 Corvette trounced them all. That guy sure as heck hit the rev limiter a lot of times if that video you posted is the one I am thinking of.
Um it says right page I linked to that it beat the zr1's record, which the zr1 took from the GTR, so the viper acr "trounced" them all, and it's not that hard to figure out- the viper has some 1000 pounds of downforce at 150, 10 times the amount a "regular" viper has, neither the z06 nor the zr1 produces any significant downforce, I believe they merely strived not to produce any lift.
I wouldnt be surprised of a ZR-1 would beat the acr on a shorter track that wouldnt make nearly as much use of downforce though.

ps- the vipers gear ratios suck- they are for fuel economy (lol), not performance. the 5th gear is something like a .74, from the 4th gear being 1.0.. so it would likely drop the viper out of the power curve to fain a few mph maybe, plus it takes a bit of time to shift.
Perhaps if they weren't killing the viper off they would produce one with some different gear ratios- close ratios that actually make use of the 6th gear to achieve top speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Viper ACR is a track star. That's all it was designed for. It'd be a great car for track only duty. Just take the time to learn about suspension setup (not so fun!) to get the best of it. The diff between a fun drive and a nightmare can often come down to poor suspension setup with adjustable cars/bikes.

I made a post in that Exige thread showing the diff in laptimes in the pre prod GTR and prod vehicle at a local track I'm familiar with. It was very clear that a ringer was used in the first test. Also, I'll make this point again. Until they goto a control tire test situtaion for super cars testing, it's a craphshoot. Tires mean the world in laptimes....

The fact remains the GTR IS much faster around virtually every track it's been tested on so I think it's just soar grapes on their part.

Reason why it can be heavier and faster at the same time is all to do with the computers. It matters not one jot if they "lied" about how fast in goes round the ring as it's proven more than a match for Porsches best on numerous tracks despite costing much less.

Suck it up Porsche :LOL:

It's all computers - very complicated - you wouldn't understand ;)

I'm betting slicks.

Um it says right page I linked to that it beat the zr1's record, which the zr1 took from the GTR, so the viper acr "trounced" them all, and it's not that hard to figure out- the viper has some 1000 pounds of downforce at 150, 10 times the amount a "regular" viper has, neither the z06 nor the zr1 produces any significant downforce, I believe they merely strived not to produce any lift.
I wouldnt be surprised of a ZR-1 would beat the acr on a shorter track that wouldnt make nearly as much use of downforce though.

ps- the vipers gear ratios suck- they are for fuel economy (lol), not performance. the 5th gear is something like a .74, from the 4th gear being 1.0.. so it would likely drop the viper out of the power curve to fain a few mph maybe, plus it takes a bit of time to shift.
Perhaps if they weren't killing the viper off they would produce one with some different gear ratios- close ratios that actually make use of the 6th gear to achieve top speed.

And then the V-Spec GT-R trounces them all over again with an additional 100hp and lighter weight.:LOL:

Back