Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I'm not in the UK so this is just cursory research on it (have some interest as I think there is global momentum on this and my country is in discussions of the same) but the UK has implemented acts and regulations with the goal of protecting children online (Online Safety Act 2023, Children's Code). This laws/regulations aren't specifically requiring all platforms to determine whether the user is an adult or minor but because of how they are framed it does to some extent mean it also could apply to all platforms or at least all platforms that aren't actively scrubbing and blocking against the content deemed to create harm to children.

Now Sony could be legitimately looking to proactively comply in good faith, proactively covering themselves from liability or use it as a shield for more data collection, or some of each column. Ultimately that is up to speculation.

So is it optional or not to verify via ID? If it's optional I don't get the outcry.
I also don't understand if it's the PSN alone the controversy. A ton of popular PC games require to sign in through another account such as Bethesda. Same counts for Capcom or EA games requiring to sign in into their accounts

You need to verify ID to make an "adult PSN account." I'm not aware of the functional difference between adult and non adult. According to Sony's FAQ anyways you can make an account without verifying (and choose at a later date), I'm assuming it means it will remain a "minor PSN account."

That tweet, as I mentioned earlier, likely has an agenda and as such leaves that out and incorporates other little phrasing tricks to achieve it's goal.

The outcry is the use of biometrics which sounds sinister. Why does Sony need a copy of my face? But the principle behind it is one that's been used for decades, that we have laws designed to protect minors that require a verification of age, which requires a means to secure the verification against fraud, which is where companies like Yoti come in who will use biometrics as an option for securing identity and validating age.

Face Scan and ID verification is not intended as the first option (although people can choose that if they do prefer). Mobile Phone number verification is intended as the least invasive and controversial option. Hence why Sony's FAQ phrases in the order of Mobile Number, Face Scan, Gov ID.

As I mentioned above that tweet is likely phrased intentionally in the opposite order of most controversial to least - GoV ID, Face Scan, Mobile Number because they have the opposite agenda of driving controversy.

I just heard it in response to screenshots of the verification process on Sony's website. Makes sense to me since it shows up only in the UK.
Well it says 'piloting'. Given Yoti is a UK company, and I haven't heard anything about this new law living in the UK, I'm not convinced it's any sort of legal requirement.

Now Sony could be legitimately looking to proactively comply in good faith, proactively covering themselves from liability or use it as a shield for more data collection, or some of each column. Ultimately that is up to speculation.
Speculating on this, Sony get no data as it's handled via a 3rd party, Yoti. Info is sent to Yoti and they API the result back to the vendor.

I checked the provider, Yoti. Seems they are a UK ID company used by a number of UK companies. ID's are controversial, but at the same time we've had them for decades. How do you prove you're old enough to get in to a night-club, or to buy liquor at the supermarket? Pull out your ID card. Yoti is one of a bunch of companies wanting to digitalise that.

There are pros and cons, which are an RPSC topic.

The gaming importance here I think is when did Sony start doing this and why has it not come to light until people started looking into PSN accounts for Helldivers?! I've never received any mention AFAIK (not that I particular pay attention to Sony emails).
It’s also the first I’ve seen it. My PS account is not UK. I just assumed everyone had similar experience as myself.

In the Sony FAQ it's framed as a "pilot program."
Is this age verification process rolling out globally?

At this time, this age verification pilot is only rolling out in the UK and Ireland.

It may not be in response to any specific law.

From what I've seen though the UK may not the only region that requires age verification?

This is more off topic but you're going to be seeing a general trend in the next few years of governments pushing for more internet regulation with respect to content and minors, which means the old honor system checkbox of proving age will likely not be acceptable anymore. Some companies might be proactive in compliance, some might just be passively neutral, some might be actively resistant.

This is a bit off-topic but sometimes I wonder maybe it's time to start a centralized "proof-of-identity" database by the government. Therefore you only need to provide your identity info to one place.
There are of course both pro and cons. Pros being (mainly) you only need to provide your infos to one place, and cons being the one place likely will attract a lot of attacks and will need to be managed securely.
It can even be done in such a way that the 3rd party service requesting for the proof-of-identity don't even have to know who you are. They'll get an unique ID (hashed with their "service ID" in order to prevent someone from cross referencing who you are) and maybe with some info such as whether you are above drinking age or something and that's it.
The biggest hurdle is probably on how to proof who you are. That is, once you have an account on the proof-of-identity database, how do you proof you are the person you claim you are. Account+password is dangerous. SIM can be swaped via social engineering. Smart cards are cumbersome to use and people will lost access to their cards. Something like FIDO 2 is probably a good start.

There's lots that would be good on a decent centralised (or blockchain) system, except all too often governments are incompetent and not very trust-worthy! There are some things that'd be better as open-sourced and powered by individuals who generally care. One specific case is medical software where the UK is ripped off by scummy software companies (friend on the inside) and the NHS pays through the nose, diverting funds from actual healthcare. I doubt you'd ever get people to agree enough though. For each person who thinks CentralID is a good idea, another will fear the State will use it to track and silence dissenters. Such is our faith in Democracy. Where, of course, where you don't have democracy this isn't a concern...but an inevitability!

Back