Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The internets is fickle and changes its mind all the time.

PS4: Performance is everything

PS5: Performance doesn't matter

- the internets

To be fair, performance was only one aspect of ps4s success for the majority when compared to xb1. It certainly wasnt everything. Just like now, its one aspect of things, but certainly not the end all.

Maybe to a minority of console warriors they jusr used that as an excuse to troll xbox tho. Especially after 7th and 6th gen of being behind power wise( or having worse versions of multiplats in ps3s case) but coming out on top sales wise. Round and round console wars go

I'm hoping the reason the PS5 is rather large is so it can remain relatively quiet....otherwise welp...
No guarantees. We can only hope the median number of quiet consoles is a very high percentage for both. We won’t honestly know until a million or so units are sold.

I'm hoping the reason the PS5 is rather large is so it can remain relatively quiet....otherwise welp...
Would depend on the fan right ? Xbox is that cube shape so it can have a 120mm or a 140mm (forget which) fan at the top and those can move a lot of air and be quiet . They created a wind tunnel for the air to be pulled through and exhausted. I think depend on how the vents are at the bottom a popular mod or add on might be a second fan at the bottom pushing air through to complement the top fan pulling.

With sony they could go with a larger squirrel fan at one end of the console that sucks air in and pushes it out the other end. Depends on what you can fit inside of the ps5 and how its laid out.

I also wonder how each company will deal with dust. I've cleaned out a lot of ps4s that were utterly disgusting inside

Would depend on the fan right ? Xbox is that cube shape so it can have a 120mm or a 140mm (forget which) fan at the top and those can move a lot of air and be quiet . They created a wind tunnel for the air to be pulled through and exhausted. I think depend on how the vents are at the bottom a popular mod or add on might be a second fan at the bottom pushing air through to complement the top fan pulling.

With sony they could go with a larger squirrel fan at one end of the console that sucks air in and pushes it out the other end. Depends on what you can fit inside of the ps5 and how its laid out.

I also wonder how each company will deal with dust. I've cleaned out a lot of ps4s that were utterly disgusting inside

It's why I think as it stands right now XSX has the better design. Interested to see the PS5 tear-down to see the cooling system..

Would depend on the fan right ? Xbox is that cube shape so it can have a 120mm or a 140mm (forget which) fan at the top and those can move a lot of air and be quiet.

If they place a fan parallel to its wide side, they can fit a whole celling fan in there.

image0.png

Height 108 pixels, width 70

assuming the height is the approximately 39cm figure we know, that's ~25.3 cm deep. My predictions were pretty good!

Can't wait to see the usual teardown!

Hopefully they stop using delta as their supplier or properly forced delta to the same quality as nidec.

Otherwise it'll be a lottery all over again.

The PS5's dimensions may have been influenced by Sony's priorities for manufacturing. I can see some additional space demands for the main board, since GDDR6 seems to have some additional space requirements, and the region for the drive is no longer a separate component and could be closer to the SOC due to the tighter tolerances for distance for a PCIe 4 connection.

The Series X opted to break the board area into two boards, but it also has a more bespoke frame and assembly process. The DF teardown mentions custom machining for the chassis and custom tooling to handle the non-standard depth of the box. The PS5's length (or height, depending on how it's placed) makes it stand out, but I wonder if the other dimensions make it more approachable case for installing a next-gen console motherboard and other components by a process similar to the current gen.

If standing vertical, I think it would be more stable if the power supply and other weighty components were nearer the bottom or center to help counter the height, though I'm curious how much the PS5 would need to keep the horizontal center of gravity in mind given the stand is involved in both orientations.

The PS5's dimensions may have been influenced by Sony's priorities for manufacturing. I can see some additional space demands for the main board, since GDDR6 seems to have some additional space requirements, and the region for the drive is no longer a separate component and could be closer to the SOC due to the tighter tolerances for distance for a PCIe 4 connection.

The Series X opted to break the board area into two boards, but it also has a more bespoke frame and assembly process. The DF teardown mentions custom machining for the chassis and custom tooling to handle the non-standard depth of the box. The PS5's length (or height, depending on how it's placed) makes it stand out, but I wonder if the other dimensions make it more approachable case for installing a next-gen console motherboard and other components by a process similar to the current gen.

If standing vertical, I think it would be more stable if the power supply and other weighty components were nearer the bottom or center to help counter the height, though I'm curious how much the PS5 would need to keep the horizontal center of gravity in mind given the stand is involved in both orientations.

I can't speak for Sony but with the Series X MS pulled in the surface hardware teams. They first did that with the One X but this is the first one the surface team had a lot of input into the design. They have a ton of experience small form factor cooling. You can kind of see the evolution of cooling through the surface pro generations , even in the book and laptop series. They ended up with a really clever solution

Now i'm waiting to see the inside of the ps5.

Can't wait to see the usual teardown!

Hopefully they stop using delta as their supplier or properly forced delta to the same quality as nidec.

Otherwise it'll be a lottery all over again.

I have a hard time believing that the PS5 is going to have any issue with noise.

Prior to the XB1, MS had similar issues with the 360. They readily addressed the issue the very next gen. Given how Sony capped the power consumption of the SOC and was willing to accept a rather large form factor, I can’t see Sony stumbling because of poor quality control of its suppliers. It would be a massive waste of effort.

I have a hard time believing that the PS5 is going to have any issue with noise.

Prior to the XB1, MS had similar issues with the 360. They readily addressed the issue the very next gen. Given how Sony capped the power consumption of the SOC and was willing to accept a rather large form factor, I can’t see Sony stumbling because of poor quality control of its suppliers. It would be a massive waste of effort.
This power cap of the SOC doesnt convince me in performance consistence over the time (seasons, dust)... I still belive in winter the PS5 will perform better or maybe cleaner PS5 will perform better... I think I will not buy day one the Ps5. Maybe also this time I'll wait for the midgen refresh... maybe 3 years. Also I see a bit of lack in memory bandwidth....

This power cap of the SOC doesnt convince me in performance consistence over the time (seasons, dust)... I still belive in winter the PS5 will perform better or maybe cleaner PS5 will perform better... I think I will not buy day one the Ps5. Maybe also this time I'll wait for the midgen refresh... maybe 3 years. Also I see a bit of lack in memory bandwidth....
No, it won't happen. The variable frequency system is based on number of instructions usage, not power usage. The variable clocks are actually not implemented using a power cap.

Ok... with still some doubt. Want to see this in action in real workloads. Anyway developers will know about this cap and at the end of the day the real TF they will be confortable to use will be 8 to 9 IMHO... I think Sony would have better targheting 8.4 TF fixed (a pro2) and more memory bandwith. I know marketing issues requested the >10 TF figure.

I still belive in winter the PS5 will perform better or maybe cleaner PS5 will perform better...
Mark Cerny used the example of ambient room temperature impacting performance and confirmed this is not how PS5's power, cooling and performance system work.

Mark Cerny said:
So how fast can we run the GPU and CPU? With this strategy the simplest approach would be to look at the actual temperature of the silicon die and throttle the frequency on that basis but that won't work it fails to create a consistent PlayStation 5 experience. It wouldn't do to run a console slower simply because it was in a hot room so rather than look at the actual temperature of the silicon die we look at the activities that the GPU and CPU are performing and set the frequencies on that basis which makes everything deterministic and repeatable.

Developers will fix the activity of GPU and CPU in a way that is sustainable... not the max possible... it's a way to unload to developer the responsibility of making games that doesn't break the console in 50 Celsius in India ? Or maybe 40 Celsius in Italy ???

Back