Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

You should have received this notification.

"An Xbox rumour doesn't belong in this thread about PS5. Tweet hasn't been cited anyway to need debunking."

If you didn't get that, it points to a technical fault with the forum.

It may have been a race condition between which action happened first, yours or mine or the other moderators. :LOL:

Mine was more about not using a fanatic as a source to give them any sort of additional coverage.

The cost of making music and films are not the same as making a game? I do not know the numbers, but there are a lot of people involved in getting the game to gold status, could be a another reason.

I not have any numbers, but creating and distributing a disc does not cost much.
For Sony / MS, I am guessing that going from Gold into the store and having it on the shelf is cheaper with physical stuff when you break it down per title. Especially if they do not pay for retail space, but the retail stores covers that and freight. Albeit freight costs are probably very cheap.
It's not cost, it's risk. Those discs you press and ship may or may not sell, and may not sell until you heavily discount them. If you get yourself into a Titanfall 2 situation, where you have a quality product that's sitting on store shelves but not moving, you've manufactured an abundance of supply for something that has little demand, and you've effectively devalued your product. Retailers don't want to be stuck with all that product that isn't moving, so the choice is to either accept the games backs as a return (and then what are you going to do with them), or discount the product through your retail partners to try to sell through what you've already produced. Digital doesn't have this problem. You can deep discount your games for a quick cash infusion if you want at basically no risk, because supply is always only ever as big as demand. Conversely, you can do what Activision does, and sell older B tier titles like Timeshift for $20 forever.

As for why Sony (or anyone else) doesn't want to piss off their physical distribution partners, it's the same reason they didn't release a digital-only console. The # of consumers they would no longer be able to reach without physical distribution is still significant enough that it materially affects their bottom line. Selling more copies on less favorable terms is still selling more copies.
Sony already made a digital only console with PSPGO. I'm pretty sure they had the numbers to back up creation of it, in terms of how many games were purchased digitally, but I think people don't like the idea of not having the option to buy digital. Also, their marketing sucked a bit for it.

Going by my internet speeds I think it'd be quicker to pop to my local, buy and install. Just saying
Not if the day one patch is the whole game. That happens now sometimes.

Price sensitive people may be looking at game subscription services like EA Access or Game Pass, so that may be the route they go. For the price of 3.5 games a year they get access to hundreds and have new games rotating in. Saving the extra $50 to $100 up front is icing on the cake.
Is it 3.5 games a year in cost? EA Access is 29.99USD annually or 4.99USD if you pay monthly. Gamepass works out to 5USD more than Xbox Live if you bundle it. That would only be 60USD per year.

But stores can still sell game codes and store credit (which they do) and therefore still be kept in the loop. They are the only way to get physical items the same day and often will have special midnight events (pre COVID anyway).
As a retailer, at least for where I work, we made almost nothing when we carried digital codes. Like, $1 per code, so if a person got $100 in funds for PSN or whatever, we made $1, unless they bough 2 $50 cards, then we made $2. We looked into it again at the beginning of the year, and things were a bit better, but it was still something like 10% of the sale. I was always impressed that Gamestop let people trade in games for them, because at that point they were essentially paying cash for them, unless they had a much better deal than we got.

So Sony is increasing production to 10 million units in 2020? That's massive. No shortages.

The production run is for all of 2020 which include consoles that won’t make it to retail for 2020 but rather hit the shelves in Q1.

It will still be a bus load of consoles as the ps4 did 7.5 million over its first two quarters if I’m not mistaken.

Last edited:
If I am understood you correctly. The retailer gets stock return, but to avoid that the publisher will discount surplus units to avoid it.
Or do retailers get the discount upfront? Is it a risk free operation for the retailers?

No wonder i prefer digital. I generally thinks the seller on physical stores are annoying, and browsing for things are cumbersome.

With digital, I met no other person. The recommendations also tailored to my taste based on the game store spying me for years.

I never understand PSN game recommendations tho. It's so unrelated

Yes, each to their own - but if you are not a gamer and want to buy a game as a gift it is a valid option . Or if you’re out shopping and just want a quick look at something more interesting than curtains lol

If I am understood you correctly. The retailer gets stock return, but to avoid that the publisher will discount surplus units to avoid it.
Or do retailers get the discount upfront? Is it a risk free operation for the retailers?

Things may have changed, but essentially the more stock you bought the better rate you got - eg a RRP £50 might be £30 each for 10 units or £24 each for 50 - there was a risk an reward to buying.

Due to this risk I set up (what I had not seen before) a pre-order system for the first F1 game, I got everyone to pay a minimum £5 deposit- this meant I could order in confidence.

Stick we didn’t sell would firstly be discounted or adding as bundles with a console then some were returned. It’s much like any other store and physical goods, you need to understand the market and take appropriate risks because you don’t want to buy only 10 of a big hitter as you’d lose sales and margin.

Anyone want to hazard a guess on the production ratio of PS5 Bulge to Bulgeless?

Anyone want to hazard a guess on the production ratio of PS5 Bulge to Bulgeless?
With the expected $50 difference, I suppose they would match the online polls at 65/35 (they'd match the ratio they got from internal market research).

If they try to push the DE with a much bigger loss, like 499/399, I'd say closer to 50/50.

He hints on era he will try the controller with a game probably Astrobot. And he will do an interview of Eric Lempel the marketing director of SIE too.

Screenshot_2020-07-16_at_20.37.28.png

unknown.png

Yeah, multiple sites seem to have something like this, saw one for IGN too.

I wonder if these people went to Sony for their hands on or if they have PS5 hardware.

I wouldn’t be surprised even if they got the controller sent to their homes and could download something to play on the PS4.

I wouldn’t be surprised if games in future would support the new controller on PS4 as well, given that developers can release titles that work on PS4, Pro and PS5 etc.

80/20. I expect the bulk of launch purchasers will want the most feature rich version of the PS5.

maybe, maybe not. I’m liking the look of the digital as the disk slot looks odd and I’ll have X (or XSX) for UHD. I would have thought most early adopters are digital buyers (or the % will be skewed that way). Only retro BC would change my mind at the moment.

Back