PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably a stupid question but, where are the air intakes on this thing? From the images I can only see the roster on the back and I assume that the whole back side is out take?

Why would it be so difficult? Look at the minuscule size of a MacBook Air/Pro. The PS4 is many times thicker - Sure there are disc drives in the PS4 but still...

Sony has always been first and foremost a hardware company and they have always been pretty competent when it comes to engineering relatively small but powerful hardware.

Somewhat related, but I have read many previews on the newly announced Vaio Pro ultrabooks and all of them are extremely positive on the build quility, dimensions and weight, touting it as incredible piece of engineering, especially the 11" version. One of the previews I've seen said that when they got handed the ultrabook, they thought it was a dummy..

Also somewhat related, Jack Tretton said on GT that this is the work of Sony as a whole. This resonates the rumours of an upcoming 21 megapixel Sony Cybershop phone. Sony has various devisions, from movies to tv to cameras, but they create individual products. Sony's goal is to combine the expertise of the whole company into their products, and the 21 megapixel cybershop phone will be a compined effort of Sony Imaging and Sony Mobile.

With so much talent in house, I indeed think the PS4 design is a combined effort, with a lot of input from various Sony divisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the intake vents vents.....

9011342661_938543f0d8_k.jpg

I would assume they're on the top part of the over hang too...

And it works like this.......

ps4_hrdware_large10_1.jpg

^I was thinking there were probably intake vents on the upper or bottom part of the sides... allows them to have a sleek, vent-less design when viewed from the front or looking down on it. Wasn't the biggest fan of the design originally, but it's growing on me.

Looks a bit cheap to me, has a very plastic and toy-like feel to it. I much preferred the fat PS3's look, which was a lot more high end than this. The One also has a high end look, albeit from the 80s :)

Rhombus. Anyways, can't please everybody. And I really don't care what a console looks like. So our votes just cancelled each other out.

However, this is a tech forum. Not a beauty forum. I'm wondering how the form factor feeds into the cooling system.

It's not a rhombus, they have equal length sides. It's a parallelogram, or more accurately a rhomboid (but no one calls things rhomboids).

After spending 10 minutes looking at their hi res Flick.r gallery, I think it looks decent; it's definitely a Playstation design, you won't be mistaking it for an Apple or Nintendo product that's for sure.

I'm guessing it's something that will look better in real life than in pics.
Kudos to them for going with a design with an unusual geometric shape rather than the usual rectangles/squares with either straight or rounded edges/corners that are prevalent in consumer electronics.

Finally have time to sit through the entire video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpCdtjTrAo

It's rather familiar (admittedly responsive) AR, gyro stuff.

As expected, they also show tablet integration for a simple AR + user created content demo. IMHO, it may be easier (less tiring) to sculpt with a tablet as opposed to using Move.

Same comment as before. Should have made iPad/Android version of Wonderbooks (instead of paper version).

There's a brief moment of the robot scanning the user. Hope they expand on that more.

Finally have time to sit through the entire video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpCdtjTrAo

It's rather familiar (admittedly responsive) AR, gyro stuff.
Never thought I'd say this, but that's actually prettty awesome.

The fact that the advanced reality stuff is working that nicely/responsively nearly half a year before release is very encouraging to see.

Some very interesting, creative use of the DS4's input features, too. Loving it.

They really need to announce a PS4 + PS4Eye + PSVita bundle for 599€ and sell it as the perfect all-around play-everything-everywhere-everytime-Christmas-present for the entire family. Some very good and diverse value proposition right there.

Some people over in Japan noticed this.

083addc3.jpg

Don't have to translate the golden ratio and the silver ratio do I?

oh I just did lol.

Some people over in Japan noticed this.

083addc3.jpg

Don't have to translate the golden ratio and the silver ratio do I?

oh I just did lol.

am I looking at that picture wrong, or did they get the wrong side up for the vertical image...it should be the other way around?

Just confirms that the PS4's design is very though-out.

It's the design of the vents that really convinced me, though. Looks sleak and very functional. Perfect to put it in a rack (no vents that would be obstructed at the sides or at the top, hot air directed to the back.

Great.

I also really liked that they put the (kind of shy) designer into the spotlight during their conference (if ever so shortly). Nice touch of giving credit to dedicated employees who don't normally get much public attention.

PS4 looks amazing in photos and live video. The renders aren't doing it any justice.

I'm definitely a fan. The original Playstation is my favourtie for nostalgic reasons, but this is the second best looking Playstation (the phat PS2 was the worst).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back