PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard Leadbetter on the OS:

"So with the PS4 hardware specs mostly done and dusted, the only real questions remaining concern the CPU and RAM resources swallowed up by the operating system. Guerrilla Games' recent post mortem of its Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4 reveal demo suggests that two CPU cores are reserved for the OS (something we're told could change but remains the current working allocation), but the amount of GDDR5 required by background processes remains unknown. What we do know is that 512MB was the target during the time that PS4 was slated to ship with just 4GB of system RAM, with current murmurings suggesting that has doubled to 1GB. At the same time, the Guerrilla post mortem contains a memory map with around 3GB of "spare" memory which could be occupied by the OS. One theory - yet to be confirmed - suggests that the game DVR - which records footage as you play - may be writing to a RAM disk, saving on hard drive bandwidth. 15 minutes of 1080p h.264 video could swallow up anything up to 1GB of RAM, but some might say that it would be something of a waste to utilise high performance memory on an application like this that would require at most around 2MB/s of bandwidth (PS4 GDDR5 tops out at 176GB/s)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Guerilla Games' Herman Hulst was asked by Geoff Keighley if we'd notice a difference in visual in the E3 build of SF compared to the announcement build, seeing as the announcement build was developed with 4GB in mind and final hardware got 8GB. He had an interesting answer, especially since most people think more RAM = better graphics. He basically said that more RAM is beneficial for the scope of a game rather than IQ. Seeing as the scope of launch games is already pretty impressive (open world games with good draw distances), I think reserving more memory wouldn't be a problem.

Richard Leadbetter on the OS:

"So with the PS4 hardware specs mostly done and dusted, the only real questions remaining concern the CPU and RAM resources swallowed up by the operating system. Guerrilla Games' recent post mortem of its Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4 reveal demo suggests that two CPU cores are reserved for the OS (something we're told could change but remains the current working allocation), but the amount of GDDR5 required by background processes remains unknown. What we do know is that 512MB was the target during the time that PS4 was slated to ship with just 4GB of system RAM, with current murmurings suggesting that has doubled to 1GB. At the same time, the Guerrilla post mortem contains a memory map with around 3GB of "spare" memory which could be occupied by the OS. One theory - yet to be confirmed - suggests that the game DVR - which records footage as you play - may be writing to a RAM disk, saving on hard drive bandwidth. 15 minutes of 1080p h.264 video could swallow up anything up to 1GB of RAM, but some might say that it would be something of a waste to utilise high performance memory on an application like this that would require at most around 2MB/s of bandwidth (PS4 GDDR5 tops out at 176GB/s)"

Ha ha, that would be me. Sorry for being a pain in the *ss but it's true !

Just spent the last 10 minutes staring at the back and trying to figure out the internal layout and orientation of the mainboard in the machine.

ps4-hrdware-large10.jpg

What I think

ps4-hrdware-large10.jpg

Ì think you need to turn the PCB upside down, Alstrong. I think Sony did what they did with the original, "phat" PS2, where you had the innards sectioned into two distinct halves, one half with the mainboard and CPU heatsink, and in the other half the PSU on top of the heatsink, both being cooled by the same fan. Then the optical drive and the HDD cage next to the PSU, also above the mainboard.

If that's the situation here, the PCB would be hanging from the top of the case to line up with the ports on the back, giving room for heatsink/fan on the right and PSU on the left. Not sure where the ODD and HDD would go. Haven't seen a disc slot, nor any kind of access cover to an internal drive bay.

if it's internal psu, along with being smaller too, that smokes xb1 design.

i think it looks better too (subject to change of opinion). i think it's growing on me.

It makes me wish for dust covers. At some point I will need to pop open my PS3 to clean it. next gen looks like it's going to be even worse in that regard

you can see the slot loading disc drive on the front towards the left.
Ah yes... There it is. :D Thank you. The recess and the overall matte appearance hid it quite well, or maybe it's simply the way these early pics were shot, I dunno.

Anyhow, I wish the case had not been a parallelogram, or whatever the heck you call one when it's extruded into a 3D shape. I'd have much preferred something akin to the Mac Mini (or as someone on the forum called it, super meatboy-shaped. That's as good a name as any, I think. Overall it's pretty fucking ugly if you ask me. Even worse than the original PS2 TBH. Not sure which console I dislike more, this one or xbone, except MS managed to build something larger AND still include an external power brick, so I think we got the answer to that one right there.

Do we have confirmation that PS4's PSU is indeed internal? I think there's still a bit of ambiguity there.

Anyhow, I wish the case had not been a parallelogram, or whatever the heck you call one when it's extruded into a 3D shape. I'd have much preferred something akin to the Mac Mini (or as someone on the forum called it, super meatboy-shaped. That's as good a name as any, I think. Overall it's pretty fucking ugly if you ask me. Even worse than the original PS2 TBH. Not sure which console I dislike more, this one or xbone, except MS managed to build something larger AND still include an external power brick, so I think we got the answer to that one right there.

Rhombus. Anyways, can't please everybody. And I really don't care what a console looks like. So our votes just cancelled each other out.

However, this is a tech forum. Not a beauty forum. I'm wondering how the form factor feeds into the cooling system.

PR spec says bundle consists of power cord, so yes :)

I am really surprised how they managed to pack everything with the including the power supply in that case.
I wont believe it until I see it. If true its one beautiful work of engineering. Until ofcourse the thing gets overheat and crashes like it did at Sony's Conference
We probably witnessed the first BLOD :LOL:

I am really surprised how they managed to pack everything with the including the power supply in that case.
I wont believe it until I see it. If true its one beautiful work of engineering. Until ofcourse the thing gets overheat and crashes like it did at Sony's Conference
We probably witnessed the first BLOD :LOL:

Why would it be so difficult? Look at the minuscule size of a MacBook Air/Pro. The PS4 is many times thicker - Sure there are disc drives in the PS4 but still...

Sony has always been first and foremost a hardware company and they have always been pretty competent when it comes to engineering relatively small but powerful hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back