PlayStation 3 for "early 2006"

If this is true, then that would mean I suppose US/CN release in early Q3 2006 followed by PAL release later that quarter.

Lovely. :?

Yup, and such be a lot of people figuring. Conflicting info from some Sony releases (as would be expected), but it's all in the realm of speculation anyway. Plus, in my mind the difference between December 2005 and "early 2006" is very small, though people seem to put a lot of importance in it. Frankly, if anyone was launching in early 2006 I'd expect them to push a bit to get some kind of release SOMEWHERE by holiday 2005--it grabs holiday attention, fuels demand for a broad release, and can really play havok with opponents' sales over that period. (Of course also your own holiday sales of the previous gen in that period, which would be the only reason I can see to avoid it. Timings and scale can always be debated the closer one gets, if all one is dealing with is a month or two.) And these particular comments may just be referring to the expected UK release... (No, I don't think they're going to do a global, simultaneous launch. Faster transitions, yes.)

Meanwhile, I find the other tracking info to be a lot more interesting overall. ^_^ The rest is debated enough already.

its not really that 2005 is so important . Its that holiday that is . Esp if its a holiday of only ps3 or only xbox2 or only n5 . Either one of them would sell extremly well . THat is why i hope nintendo suprises us all and releases october 2005 with a new smash brothers a mario and a few more solid tittles . Nintendo can really use a head start

Hence why I'm not satisfied with any definitive comments to any of them making or missing that date until they come right out and state their launch. (Or they get a lot closer and we can note their production levels.) Any of them could push for them, and any of them could also use the extra time to make sure their launch is solid.

Perhaps all of them are SAYING they're planning on 2006 and that the other two are going to be in 2006 as well, so as to try to make them THINK they won't either, but secretly they all are prepping for a head start, and EVERYONE launches in November! :p

Perhaps all of them are SAYING they're planning on 2006 and that the other two are going to be in 2006 as well, so as to try to make them THINK they won't either, but secretly they all are prepping for a head start, and EVERYONE launches in November
Unless it's a worldwide launch (not bloody likely) this is all pretty immaterial. They will launch in different teritories, and that holliday period in Japan isn't particularly big deal compared to US or most Europan countries.

PS2's Japanese launch still fired up people over here, and importers and eBay were certainly busy. ;) I don't see that being different this time (in fact maybe more frentic because of close proximity of all three). They just have to exist to make people all over the world freak out, spike interest (because, of course, screens and reviews and looks will ignite every magazine and website), and create huge demand--no matter where they start off.

(Well, ok, some territories will largely ignore others without REALLY good reason, like Japan with the Xbox2 and UK with Nintendo. And, of course, simultaneous different-territory launches would confuse each other.) But just ONE of them getting a headstart--no matter where--will be very beneficial. (In fact, it's probably best to be first or last, the way news flows. ;) )

Demand always outstrips production capability at major console launches, and that will especially be the case for anything resembling a worldwide launch where demand in multiple territories has to be fed. Both Microsoft and Sony are easily able to stir up the anticipation necessary to at least launch with that kind of demand, regardless of how much hype the other has going for them.

Since it would take a few months anyway before production could keep up, a console could launch just as successfully early in a year as it would at the holidays. By the time supply caught up, in the scenario of an early year launch, the holiday shopping season would then kick in, and elevated demand would continue the stressing of production capability until the new year.

For this reason, it could be well over six months passed launch (assuming they're all well-executed) before any console can build a momentum with real substance to it. With Microsoft and Sony both planning so ambitiously for this and both having an ability to later bring in the mass market of gamers with franchises like Halo and Gran Turismo respectively, each system should capture a large part of the market if they launch around the same time.

This would seem to meet Microsoft's objectives very well. As they've shown with MSN, succeeding in just being able to hang around is enough for them for a good long while. And like Sony's arrival raised the stakes for being a console manufacturer on companies like SEGA (perhaps too high for a company of their standing to reasonably last), Microsoft's may put a similar pressure on Sony.

Since it would take a few months anyway before production could keep up, a console could launch just as successfully early in a year as it would at the holidays. By the time supply caught up, in the scenario of an early year launch, the holiday shopping season would then kick in, and elevated demand would continue the stressing of production capability until the new year.

of course you'd miss out on all the new storys about shortages at launch and for the holidays thus loosing free hype . A holiday launch in the usa is allways important.

Hmm this is something I haven't seen touched upon yet. Most people are saying late 05/early 06 for the initial PS3 launch, but this will almost certainly be in Japan first. Remember PS2 launched in America almost 8 months after it launched in Japan, and almost 9 months after in the UK! Optimistically, summer 2006 is the earliest the US launch could happen, and I think fall 2006 is more likely.

Hmm this is something I haven't seen touched upon yet. Most people are saying late 05/early 06 for the initial PS3 launch, but this will almost certainly be in Japan first. Remember PS2 launched in America almost 8 months after it launched in Japan, and almost 9 months after in the UK! Optimistically, summer 2006 is the earliest the US launch could happen, and I think fall 2006 is more likely.

They could easily do the opposite, and launch in the US first...

I think MS should launch in March 2006 in the US, June 2006 in Europe, and September 2006 in Japan. Sony should probably go with JP/US/EU instead.

Nobie, you just said what I was saying a few days ago. Perhaps they do launch in fall 2005 in japan, but it wouldn't be until 2006 when they launch in america.

Sony certainly won't launch in america first. They are based in japan remember, they will always launch there first. the second reason is that it would be too difficult to have enough units made to launch in multiple territories at the same time, so that's probably out of the question.

I think that Sony has to be a little nervous about the XB2 hitting North America six months sooner than the PS3. On the other hand, MS probably isn't too concerned about Japan. I wouldn't be too surprised if MS tries to launch NA and Europe simultaneously (or with a short three month window).

I agree that Nintendo and Sony will launch in Japan first, which really makes the '05 holiday season a very hard target. If MS can make it, they'd have a nice little head start.

The real variables here are the launch software. Who's really going to have the edge here? One thing is certain, it will be a very expensive year for hardcore gamers.

Squidlor said:
I think that Sony has to be a little nervous about the XB2 hitting North America six months sooner than the PS3.
Kinda hard to say stuff like this when no launch dates have been set, eh? ;)

cthellis42 said:
Squidlor said:
I think that Sony has to be a little nervous about the XB2 hitting North America six months sooner than the PS3.
Kinda hard to say stuff like this when no launch dates have been set, eh? ;)

Yes and No. We're all just speculating anyway, but that doesn't mean we're necessarily spreading FUD or BS. If you worked at Sony and were planning for some type of May 2006 North American Launch, you can't preclude out the possibility of MS trying to launch in Dec 2005. That's the type of six month window that I'd be nervous about, if I was a Sony or Nintendo exec.

I do think that MS has the best launch options. There's no reason to launch in Japan three to six months earlier than NA. MS could also choose to launch EU before JPN/Asia. Or not. Sony and Nintendo are basically limited to JPN->NA->EU, even if it isn't the best market strategy.

I should say that I don't expect to see any next gen before Sum '06, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the companies try to fast-track for an 05 holiday in one of the regions.

Back