Plasma > LCD

Motion resoultion is just as important as any of the other highly marketed figueres. People should pay attention to them!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8855358&type=product&id=1209772210029
I was thinking about getting this one and didn't know where to ask on the site and ask given the price range around that are there any other displays anyone can suggest?

Samsung's 1080p plasmas are cheaper but the quality isn't as good either.
Pioneers are even better then Panasonic, but they're about twice as expensive.

I'd go with this one ;)

Just one thing: the only difference I know between the PZ85 and the PZ80 models is that the former features IFC - intelligent frame creation, where if you're viewing for example 24fps material at 96Hz screen refresh, it'll calculate interpolated extra frames. This is a post processing effect you may or may not like, so it's best if you try to test it in person.

Personally I'd take the PZ80 as it's about 10% cheaper usually.

Get the 800U instead. It's THX mode have great color accuracy. The 850 doesn't have this mode.

According to this chart near the bottom of the screen, the 850 has the same THX certification settings that the 800 has.

How close will you be sitting? A 1080p on a 42" will make for some very tiny text at much more than 5'. Personally, I use a 768p 50" from 8' and run my desktop at 1440x810.

How close will you be sitting? A 1080p on a 42" will make for some very tiny text at much more than 5'. Personally, I use a 768p 50" from 8' and run my desktop at 1440x810.

About 8 feet, but I will use it for HTPC, not for working on it like a computer. I just wanted a clear picture when I do have to mess with windows stuff, and for static still images a 1080p seems pretty nice.

I was originarlly targeting a 42" LCD as they were in my price range, then I moved onto 47" and then 52" even in the off brand (like westinghouse), but now I am leaning back toward plasmas and a decent brand which is putting me back around the 42-46" mark budget wise. It is a tough decision I admit.

At 8' from a 42" you'd need better than 20/20 vision to get any benefit from more than a 768p display anyway. Even having 20/15 myself I wouldn't trade my 768p 50" for a smaller 1080p display unless I was planning to sit notably closer.

At 8' from a 42" you'd need better than 20/20 vision to get any benefit from more than a 768p display anyway.

Everyone's eyesight is different though. Mine's certainly not the best but I can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on my 42" @ 8'. We are talking about a > 2x increase in pixel count here, I don't think that can be ignored even @ 42" and 8'.

Everyone's eyesight is different though.
Hence the "better than 20/20" qualifcation. Do you not know what that means?
Mine's certainly not the best but I can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on my 42" @ 8'.
Which doesn't have anything to do whith my statement about the differece in 768p and 1080p native resolutions at that distance on a display of that size.
We are talking about a > 2x increase in pixel count here, I don't think that can be ignored even @ 42" and 8'.
I'm talking about established science, while you are talking missunderstanding and conjector.

Kyle calm down.

They already said above that motion resolution is way lower. So if you cannot see the difference between 800 lines and 300 lines fine. Other might be able to.

I am looking to get a plasma. I am looking at the Pioneer 60 inch that just came out the 6020 model number. I am a bit torn between waiting for the LED Sony XBR8 hopefullly end of the year or just grab this monster of a tv. I will mostly be using it for watching bluray movies and PS3 gaming. I have been doing a lot of reading on the webs and it seems plasmas do not have the burnin situations that they used to have before. And then I read that you can buy these dvds that you can play that sort of exercise the tv and uhh 'break it in' so that the chance of burnins is even lesser. Anyone care to comment about that? Is that a gimmick?

Another site I read that its best if you dont play any games on it for the first 150-200 operating hours of the tv...if the plasma tech has improved why do any of this is my question...

I am looking to get a plasma. I am looking at the Pioneer 60 inch that just came out the 6020 model number. I am a bit torn between waiting for the LED Sony XBR8 hopefullly end of the year or just grab this monster of a tv. I will mostly be using it for watching bluray movies and PS3 gaming. I have been doing a lot of reading on the webs and it seems plasmas do not have the burnin situations that they used to have before. And then I read that you can buy these dvds that you can play that sort of exercise the tv and uhh 'break it in' so that the chance of burnins is even lesser. Anyone care to comment about that? Is that a gimmick?

Another site I read that its best if you dont play any games on it for the first 150-200 operating hours of the tv...if the plasma tech has improved why do any of this is my question...

After using my Panasonic plasma extensively both for gaming and as a general PC display since day 1, my personal experience has been that while I have seen some image retention (this easily corrected by the TV's anti-image retention routine that can be run from the setup menu) I have seen no evidence of burn-in. In fact, it's excelled at every task I've thrown at it.

Totally satisfied with my purchase and glad I went this route over LCD.

Kyle calm down.

They already said above that motion resolution is way lower. So if you cannot see the difference between 800 lines and 300 lines fine. Other might be able to.
Plasmas don't inherently loose any resolution from motion, and certainly don't loose as much are suggesting in your "800 lines and 300" argument. I'm not riled up at all here, but if something I've said has upset your calm then I recommend taking a breather and rereading what has been presented in this thread.
After using my Panasonic plasma extensively both for gaming and as a general PC display since day 1, my personal experience has been that while I have seen some image retention (this easily corrected by the TV's anti-image retention routine that can be run from the setup menu) I have seen no evidence of burn-in.
"Burn-in" is basically just "image retention" that doesn't go away as fast as one would like. Well, actually, there are two ways the phosphors which make each pixel in a plasma retain images; either by certain phosphors remaining lit brightly which leads to a residual charge continuing to dimly light those phosphors after the charge has been removed, or by certain phosphors remaining lit brighter than others for an extended period which causes them to loose their brightness more than the phosphors which were not so brightly lit. The former is generally known as "image retention" as goes away as the charge is removed, even when the display is off. The latter is where the confusion is, since while the uneven fading is generally called "burn in", it is often referred to as "image retention" when individuals find that running an anti-image retention routine or even just switching to content that evenly wears the phosphors will eventually even out that difference in brightness.

Last edited by a moderator:
As always kyleb, your knowledge of plasma sets is welcome. :)

Why don't plasmas lose resolution from motion? I've read the links, but I'm still not particularly clear about it.

It's not that they don't, various image processing can cause reduced resolution from motion regardless of display technology. However, Plasmas don't inherently lose resolution in moving images because the phosphors have an effectively instant response time, where as LCDs do inherently lose effective resolution due to the time it takes time for each liquid crystal to shift from one postion to another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back