Plasma > LCD

Well yeah but when was the last time anybody observed something completely absent of light? Even at night theres the moon so unless you've locked yourself inside of a closet with no light whatsoever it's pretty pointless. I think people are into this black stuff because it's the geeky thing to do and talk about with no realworld benefits. Even outerspace isn't completely black. When was the last time someone entered a black hole?:???:

It's more than their (plasmas) ability to generated a "blacker black" they can also resolve a greater range of blacks. This means there is a definite difference between how an average LCD vs. and an average plasma resolve dark scenes in movies and even games. Shadow detail that is present in the plasma picture is just missing in the LCD picture. This is a very real occurrence and seeing a noticeable difference between how an LCD or plasma perform on these types of scenes doesn't require that you lock yourself in a closet.

LED backlighting + local dimming is the answer to this problem on LCD, but it is not fully developed yet and has still only seen limited adoption. When more manufacturers adopt this technology, the technology improves a bit more and the prices get more in line with plasmas LCD's may be able to push plasmas out entirely. Not there yet, though.

Well yeah but when was the last time anybody observed something completely absent of light? Even at night theres the moon so unless you've locked yourself inside of a closet with no light whatsoever it's pretty pointless. I think people are into this black stuff because it's the geeky thing to do and talk about with no realworld benefits. Even outerspace isn't completely black. When was the last time someone entered a black hole?:???:

When night on the TV or a pitch black room is light gray compared to the watching environment, well..it kinda hurts that whole suspension of disbelief a bit. We're not talking black hole, we're talking cinema equivalent.

When night on the TV or a pitch black room is light gray compared to the watching environment, well..it kinda hurts that whole suspension of disbelief a bit. We're not talking black hole, we're talking cinema equivalent.

But I thought with LED backlights LCDs already accomplished a great black level.

And yes Mize you can buy really cheap stuff really cheap, but I have seen better deals on quality LCDs than Plasmas in my experience. I always see the 720p plasmas cheap, but not 1080p.

I don't want the entire picture to be pitch black, only those parts of it that are supposed to be.

pioneer-contrastconcept00.jpg

10707pioxtreme.jpg

And when looking at this, know that the brighter image is on the current best plasma - so LCDs are a lot, lot worse.

if your blacks are blacker, your contarst is better across all kinds of dark colours and shades, so less detail is lost, as compared to an average LCD.

But I thought with LED backlights LCDs already accomplished a great black level.

And yes Mize you can buy really cheap stuff really cheap, but I have seen better deals on quality LCDs than Plasmas in my experience. I always see the 720p plasmas cheap, but not 1080p.

LED backlights have their own issues:
1. fewer leds than pixels means regions, not pixels must be lit leading to pixelation and aliasing on dark edges
2. bleed from bright LEDs to surrounding LCD (green ghosting on black)
3. slower

I'm waiting for good OLED or laser tv to replace my plasma (I also have two smaller LCDs in my bright rooms)

I don't want the entire picture to be pitch black, only those parts of it that are supposed to be.

http://www.engadget.com/media/2008/01/pioneer-contrastconcept00.jpg

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/ces2008/10707pioxtreme.jpg

And when looking at this, know that the brighter image is on the current best plasma - so LCDs are a lot, lot worse.

You can show whatever you want with a photo though and it doesn't necessarily show what your eye would perceive. We only have so many stops :)

@ Mize I wanted a SED or whatever that was, before they got sued out of existence.

I don't have much faith in OLEDs myself.

I think OLED will come along, it already has the advantage of being widely used, albeit in much smaller applications.

I've heard "wait for OLED" about 3 or more years ago when I got my Dell 20" widescreen monitor here. Guess I've made the right choice :)

There's always some new stuff coming up, but I think we can safely assume that OLED will take another 3-5 years to get into the mainstream.

I've heard "wait for OLED" about 3 or more years ago when I got my Dell 20" widescreen monitor here. Guess I've made the right choice :)

There's always some new stuff coming up, but I think we can safely assume that OLED will take another 3-5 years to get into the mainstream.

Oh no doubt, You can now buy small OLED television screens and Sony has promised to have a 27" out by mid 2009.

I don't think I'd delay any major purchase based on that information or anything, but I don't think there is any doubt that OLED will be the successor to LCD. Certainly in small panels. Whether its going to be the image quality champ for large sets in the next 5 or so years is the only real question.

blacks are blacker with plasma
whites are whiter with LCD

the problem is which is more important black or white?

People won't go back to smaller monitors on their computers now, and LCDs are damn hard to beat on price/inch. 19-20" widescreen are pretty much the standard by now, so I think it'll still take a long time.

I'd much more expect OLED to be targeted at the DTP and CG crowd where image quality is a lot more important and there is enough money to make. The new 24" Apple Cinema display with unprecedented color reproduction, available for your Mac Pro, now for only $5000... ;)

Actually the smallest notebooks are very popular right now. So in some aspect at least small displays are very much in and the ability of OLED to contribute to that (0.3mm thick displays) could be a major motivator.

I'm not talking about next year or anything, but OLED is clearly not a tried and failed technology, it's continuing to expand and there's a lot of potential upside.

I don't know about recent stuff, but the older chemistry they were looking at for OLEDs just wasn't very robust especially for blues. They may someday become the next great thing, but they are certainly taking their time about it.

One thing I wondered long ago is when are they going to come up with technology to repaid OLED, LCD, or whatever.

If they could just spit out the panels and then fix any errors from manufacturing it seems the productivity could go up a lot as the price falls. I hope they can figure out a way to do it sometime.

One thing that should be mentioned is motion resolution.
LCD tvs, when not showing static images, don´t show their 1080p or 720p resolution. Instead, the worst ones fall to 300 lines of resolution, and the best to 550-600 lines.
New FullHD plasmas remains, even in most intense moving scenes, in the range of 880-950 lines of res.

One thing that should be mentioned is motion resolution.
LCD tvs, when not showing static images, don´t show their 1080p or 720p resolution. Instead, the worst ones fall to 300 lines of resolution, and the best to 550-600 lines.
New FullHD plasmas remains, even in most intense moving scenes, in the range of 880-950 lines of res.

Err, what? Im not getting that. Any reference?

What a service! :LOL:

Thank you very much.

And why is that? Because of LCDs switching lags? Arent newer LCDs sub 10 millisecond marketing switch times?

Back