Comparing different display technologies

pascal said:
Congrats Digi,
Where are the games Pics? Also try to get some pics in the dark (no ambient light or flash) :)
No DVI or HDGC cable yet, after I get that THEN we'll have us some good pictures! :D

Pascal I will say that you might be right about the colours of the Philips screen looking washed out. Some 42" Philips screens are using the ALIS panel and this panel has a true resolution of 1024*512 but the vertical is interlaced to 1024*1024i. The contrast ratio is not so high on these screens from what I have seen.

OLED's not included as they probably won't be ready for a couple of years on the mass market. The technology does look promising but as Ty said there are still problems.

Tahir2 said:
Pascal I will say that you might be right about the colours of the Philips screen looking washed out. Some 42" Philips screens are using the ALIS panel and this panel has a true resolution of 1024*512 but the vertical is interlaced to 1024*1024i. The contrast ratio is not so high on these screens from what I have seen.

Interesting, I didn't know ALiS panels were interlaced like that. I knew they had square pixels though.

So the native resolution is 1024x1024 so the pixels are square, but it only lights up half the lines at a time? I have heard a bit about the 1024x1024 plasmas, but I have never actually seen one.

Ty said:
Interesting, I didn't know ALiS panels were interlaced like that. I knew they had square pixels though.

"Typical plasma panels have a strip of electrodes for each horizontal row of plasma cells, while ALiS panels share an electrode strip between two rows of cells. At any given instant only half the panel's pixels are turned on. It's somewhat similar to interlaced-scanning on a CRT-based TV — in fact, ALiS technology was developed as a way to make a simpler, lower-cost plasma panel capable of displaying interlaced HDTV signals (1080i)."

plasmawork2.jpg

http://www.plasmadepot.com/plasmatv/howplasmaworks.html

russo121 said:
I simply love the image this thing gives http://www.sony.fr/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDF-E50A11E&site=odw_fr_FR&pageType=TechnicalSpecs&category=TVP+Rear+Projection+TV.

This is a projection tv with "3lcd" technology. Is it any better than lcd tv or plasmas? Please, can someone elaborate the pros and cons of this technology including if there is the burn problem? As I said, the image quality is great, and, I've only seen dvd not hd content.

I have seen these Rear Projection TV's running Standard Definition feeds that were poor quality. I found the image to be badly lit when not directly viewing it and it gave the appearance of a soft blur on the image that is inherent with the 3LCD technology. The blacks are not very good either as contrast ratio suffers.

However some people prefer the soft look and will be sitting directly in front of the TV so these issues would not concern them. The price is very good for a 50" screen though.

Back