Performance for next gen gameplay? (devs help)

pc999

Veteran
This is just a simple question, usually in gameplay elements how much power of the next gen console will be used and how much will be used in details? We saw for next gen a number of new things but some just for the detail, eg in HS we saw 3000 individual AI and that is something that will affect gameplay but on the other side they are using one SPE just for her hair which could never be done that none would care (althought after we got it we think it is a nice feature and I agree).

In gameplay elements I put things like: AI, Complexity (ie size of scenes, number of objects/carachters...), basic physics...

In detail elements I put things like: paralax maping and such or everything that could have been a lower qualitity version and make the same effect on the game (eg cloth simulation, smoke/dust...).

Of curse in diferent games diferent things will be a major gameplay feature, but I think that this give you a good idea.

If we assume some moderate gfx features that have a major importance like per pixel lighting and shadows and the level of detail we saw in eg RS carachters how much power is used in next gen consoles (ie PS3/360) for gameplay?

On anouther definition of gameplay element we can put any feature that if does not exist in the or has been changed it would make a diferent action/reaction from the player (something that does not happen just because the things have more or less detail on it).

Back