[PC] Tomb Raider 2013

Works pretty well. I've got most settings on "Normal", with Ultra textures, Tess and Tress and "High Precision" or whatever it's called turned off. Getting a nice smooth 60fps in 3D.

There's some ghosting, more than I've seen in some other games, but I think it's up to the game's style, with that high-contrast lighting and coloring that's so popular these days.. those tend to show more ghosting than more flatly-lit games.

Really hope NVidia comes up with some good optimizations for the drivers, since my rig outstrips the recommended specs by a pretty wide margin. Not much hope that's going to happen soon, though.. there was a blurb earlier today on one of the NVidia boards that they're hoping to have something out by the end of the month.

Oh noes. Lots of in game cutscenes and QTEs.

On my unlocked 6950 2GB the hair destroys framerate as soon as you get anywhere near it. I think it's 50% cool and 50% quirk so I'm turning it off. It behaves cheesily quite often I think. The game runs pretty well IMO with max everything else at 1080p and with 2X SSAA.

Clearly the game needs some patching though. I got to a creek and the water was rendering in front of things.... And the NVIDIA performance is simply wrong.

Ugh not happy about that at all, I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay on the Uncharted games, they always felt weak in that regard. I was hoping for more Tomb Raider Underworld style of gameplay, control, adventure and puzzle solving. Dangit, and I was all stocked about a new Tomb Raider game :( Do the puzzle solving elements at least sort of compare to the previous Underworld game or not even close?

Oh, don't take my words for granted. I only played the first 30-40min so far! I heard that it opens up quite a bit compared to Uncharted, so I guess that this fits you better. It was just the intro of the game that reminded me about Uncharted, with all the jumping, climbing, simple puzzles and in-between drama cut scenes and all. So, I am curious how it developes...

Those of you considering buying it, if you're anything like me and prefer a boxed copy you should probably be aware that they don't exist. Only consoles have boxed copies of it, at least according to GameStop.

That must be a US-only thing then. I got a box

the game look nice and most of the time play nice. Its just that there are so many immersion breaker. The constant virtual HUD thing, and theres also QTE thats very annoying, it really breaks the immersion.

watching cutscene, then suddently PRESS X. I failed to press it, repeat the exact same scene again. Really bad QTE implementation. The QTE on Asura's Wrath a lot better than this (different scene if did not press QTE).

btw the 3D Stereo is really nice. The depth is amazing. Too bad my samsung TV have heavy crosstalk. I should have bough LG 3D tv with passive glasses, not this samsung with active glasses.

the game look nice and most of the time play nice. Its just that there are so many immersion breaker. The constant virtual HUD thing, and theres also QTE thats very annoying, it really breaks the immersion.

watching cutscene, then suddently PRESS X. I failed to press it, repeat the exact same scene again. Really bad QTE implementation. The QTE on Asura's Wrath a lot better than this (different scene if did not press QTE).

btw the 3D Stereo is really nice. The depth is amazing. Too bad my samsung TV have heavy crosstalk. I should have bough LG 3D tv with passive glasses, not this samsung with active glasses.

My biggest problem with the QTE's is, aside from the fact the game is absolutely rife with them, is the game doesn't make clear some of the buttons you're expected to mash. There are moments when you need to hit a specific button, and this is represented by a circle that will turn red when you need to hit the correct button. However, there were a handful of times while I was playing last night where it didn't even say WHICH button to hit. So I had to do a few QTE's four or five times while GUESSING which button to hit.

Other than that, I love it so far. It's beautiful, engaging and I'm finding myself surprised, in a good way, by the story and the great voice acting. TressFX, while it's cool to see individual strands of hair with physics applied to them, isn't really worth the performance hit. And there is a pretty solid impact on performance. Nvidia stated today they are currently working on some fixes for Nividia users experiencing poor performance, I wonder if this includes TressFX optimizations.

some of the QTE button also not make any sense. Why i need to rapidly press LT and RT very fast to crawl in cutscene?

but they sometime do it right. For example when if suddently on QTE when you gonna jump, the game says "Press Jump Button".

my character want to jump, so its logical to press jump.

But pressing LT and RT to crawl? o_O

This is what greeted me today when i launched TR.

LINK

It was labelled as "patch related news". I am not sure if i agree with all of the authors points but there is something to it.

This post might also fit better in AMD doom and gloom thread, just move it please if thats the case.

This is what greeted me today when i launched TR.

LINK

It was labelled as "patch related news". I am not sure if i agree with all of the authors points but there is something to it.

This post might also fit better in AMD doom and gloom thread, just move it please if thats the case.

I don't buy into that argument. Most console ports on the PC for the last 7 years have been ports from the 360 version of the game. As such if what this article is saying were to hold true then AMD's 6xx and 7xx series GPU's would have been far more competitive NV's 8xxx and 2xx series GPU's.

I don't buy into that argument. Most console ports on the PC for the last 7 years have been ports from the 360 version of the game. As such if what this article is saying were to hold true then AMD's 6xx and 7xx series GPU's would have been far more competitive NV's 8xxx and 2xx series GPU's.
By the time the Xenos base architecture came out for the PC it was very different. Different RB's, sequencer and shader organization. R600 was a different design. The question this time around is how long will it be before performance tweaks for the PS4 aren't relevant for the PC.

New patch fixed the missing effects in full screen mode issue. And TressFX floatiness was toned down. Now, hair seems to look way better...now I want it myself, wonder how my 670 will handle it...here is the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwVnBdzUWNY

Yeah, that looks quite a bit better, now it behaves more like brunette hair rather than fine blonde hair. And the bounding box seems to have been addressed. Very cool.

I really need to make some time to be able to play games. :D

Regards,
SB

If nothing else, PC will be able to just muscle its way through. It does that on a number of games now that aren't particularly well optimized for PC.

By the time the Xenos base architecture came out for the PC it was very different. Different RB's, sequencer and shader organization. R600 was a different design. The question this time around is how long will it be before performance tweaks for the PS4 aren't relevant for the PC.
Workloads are being places in different areas these day as well and there will be inhernat strengths in the architecture that will get leveraged more and more as the devs start to eke every last ounce of performance out.

I get attacked by a wolf the game prompts me to press left and right keys then a red circle appears on screen, I'm supposed to do something at this point but the game doesn't tell me what

Back