[PC] Tomb Raider 2013

Why is stuff like this still happening?

I know it's happened to AMD before, it's happened to Nvidia now. Why aren't devs giving them final versions of code?

As far as I see it, it's being taken care of and should be solved in a couple of weeks.

It's okay, I'm patient.
I used only AMD/ATI graphics cards for about 10 years so I learned how to be patient. :LOL:

One thing to note is that Tomb Raider seems to behave really well with AMD quad-core CPUs, from the legacy Phenom II X4 to the latest Piledrivers.

It seems that playing Tomb Raider all maxed out can actually come pretty cheap, as long as it's an all-AMD system :eek:

Look here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48952794#post48952794

He goes from 59fps average to 42 fps, that is an enormous hit in framerate for some bad hair physics.

I don't know if it's unoptimized but it's way too costly for such a minor feature.
As others have said hair rendering is expensive. There's a reason you don't see good hair in games. I'd rather have the option to use a feature than not have it there at all. Antialiasing had a huge performance hit in the early days as well.

For those who have tr, is the hair thing lara only? is it used on other characters, how about thinks like rope, vines or even animal fur if those are in game ?
I think it's Lara only due to the performance impact, but this technique evolved from a paper at i3D 2012 where a lion was shown as an example. So the technique should work with fur should a developer wish to implement it.

I'm playing the game in 3D anyway.. that alone is a 50% performance hit, so I need all the fps I can get. At Ultra settings with Tress and Tess off (what are they, sisters?), I can get about 30fps on the benchmark in 3D, so I'm still looking for more stuff to trim back. Hopefully with some nice optimized drivers I can turn some of that stuff back on and keep the frames high.
If I eventually buy the game I'll want to use 3D as well. What graphics card are you using?

42fps is great? from a gpu pushing 3Tflops and the game is not even close to the best looking PC game?

Let me put this another way; you are fine with the game losing almost 30% of its frames to push a half decent cosmetic feature that is only on 1 character and no one else?

Bear in mind that from the quick look I took at the benchmark, a lot of it is Lara's hair/face in close up. When you play the game, you're not often that close to the TressFX effect, so the framerate drop is a lot less. Of course that means you can't see the hair effect so well either, but it is only a cosmetic spot effect after all....

just got done downloading on steam, decided to run the benchmark before I go to bed.

TressFX:

min. 11.7
max. 62.3
avg. 51.1

Normal:

min 22.6
max.62.3
avg. 59.9

1080P HD6970 Crossfire

TombRaider is a no-go on nVidia hardware

I wonder what could possibly have changed so drastically between builds....

“We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.”

The Quicklook of Tomb Raider at Giant Bomb features a look at some amazing glitches in the PC version of nVidia hardware. It's towards the middle of the video when they go down into a cave and a bunch of textures are missing, replaced by bright white, red and pink surfaces. They try to switch between the Low and Ultimate presets, each time making the graphical glitches even crazier. They switch to the 360 version and try downloading newer drivers, but when they go back to the PC version at the end it crashes to desktop pretty quickly. Anyway, worth checking out the video just to see how crazy the glitching makes the game. I could almost see some psychedelic indie cyberpunk game borrowing the look.

It's a ploy by AMD to take revenge on the Rage issues ... :p

I'm just curious as to what type of rendering logic can be so well behaved on one set of hardware and so borked on another. I can understand performance differences but what causes stuff to be completely broken?

I'm quite pleased with how the game performs on my i5 750 /GTX 570 combo. Runs smooth enough and perfectly stable on the game's Ultra preset. If I lower a couple paramenter to high (which makes pretty much zero visible difference. What exactly did they tesselate I wonder?) I can also enable the stupid looking hair tech. The framerate only takes a beating during extreme close-ups, but the hair looks pretty stupid anyway. Still remains oddly glued to her head when Lara is dangling from the ceiling and is generally wholly unconvincing in motion. At least the chunky old-schhol hair gets wet, dirty and bloody when the situation calls for it. The Tress FX hair looks like it comes from a different plane of reality, especially since Lara is the only one who's blessed with it.

100% uncharted so far, although I can see that the light rpg character adds something new, similar to far cry 3.

Ugh not happy about that at all, I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay on the Uncharted games, they always felt weak in that regard. I was hoping for more Tomb Raider Underworld style of gameplay, control, adventure and puzzle solving. Dangit, and I was all stocked about a new Tomb Raider game :( Do the puzzle solving elements at least sort of compare to the previous Underworld game or not even close?

Only gets like that at the end (more old-school), at least from what I hear.

Ugh not happy about that at all, I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay on the Uncharted games, they always felt weak in that regard. I was hoping for more Tomb Raider Underworld style of gameplay, control, adventure and puzzle solving. Dangit, and I was all stocked about a new Tomb Raider game :( Do the puzzle solving elements at least sort of compare to the previous Underworld game or not even close?

Unless the game changes drastically towards the very end I'm gonna have to say no, the puzzle elements do not compare. There are couple of tiny, optional rooms with basic physics puzzles in them, but that's been pretty much it so far.
There's more traversal than I expected though, and while that aspect of the game isn't exactly hard, it does at least have a really nice feel to it. Certainly feels way less on-rails than in the Uncharted games. There's also way more downtime between the shooty bits.

Hmm ok, I guess I'll grab it during christmas steam sales then, if anything just to see the new hair code in action. At least that way if I get bored in an hour it's just a few bucks lost.

Ugh not happy about that at all, I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay on the Uncharted games, they always felt weak in that regard.

I'm the exact opposite. I prefer Uncharted gameplay vs old school Lara. This will probably be the first TombRaider game I ever play.

Welp, I'm pulling the trigger on this tonight and getting a copy. Those of you considering buying it, if you're anything like me and prefer a boxed copy you should probably be aware that they don't exist. Only consoles have boxed copies of it, at least according to GameStop. The Survivor Edition is 57 bucks on Steam, and comes with some nifty content, so I'm planning on getting that.

If I eventually buy the game I'll want to use 3D as well. What graphics card are you using?
GTX-680 2GB. I've only run it through the benchmark so far, I haven't actually sat down to play it yet, but I'll do that here in a bit and let you know how well the 3D works and what settings I end up using.

Back