[PC] Tomb Raider 2013

Was just an example...keep cool!

LoL :) I think he meant there are a LOT of other single player games out there with dozens, if not hundreds of hours of play time.

For example, anything Bethesda made in the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series :D

I'm not sure using Elder Scrolls as an example is entirely fair. I'm about to hit 400 hours in Skyrim. Which is rather funny since I don't even have a level 50 character yet.

LoL :) I think he meant there are a LOT of other single player games out there with dozens, if not hundreds of hours of play time.

For example, anything Bethesda made in the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series :D

I honestly like it that some games are just 6 to 15 hours long. I don't need every game to be epic, sometimes I just want to play through and move on. Some games like Elder Scrolls I like to be long since I will play them for two years probably. Other games I just want to rip through quickly and have fun in the process. There's room for both types. If every game was a 50+ hour slog then I'd never finish anything.

I honestly like it that some games are just 6 to 15 hours long. I don't need every game to be epic, sometimes I just want to play through and move on. Some games like Elder Scrolls I like to be long since I will play them for two years probably. Other games I just want to rip through quickly and have fun in the process. There's room for both types. If every game was a 50+ hour slog then I'd never finish anything.

I completely agree, ive been slowly working my way through just cause 2 and skyrim now for weeks - both terrific games - but I had to break out and play a nice focussed single player experience (max payne 3 in this case) just to feel like I was actually progressing through my game collection! I finished it in a couple of weeks and I'm back to working through skyrim and jc2 again now. I fully expect to start and complete tombraider before I finish either of them as well.

Thumbs up for Tomb Raider 2013 !
I wish there were more collapsing walkway games like this :D

Random notes:
* I didn't like much previous tomb raider games, as I am usually not interested in platformers. TB2013 game was less focused on puzzles and nano jump trigger precision. However, optional tombs were a missed opportunity, this is where they should have put the nasty puzzles.
* The narrative was nice, not exceptional, but it does try to tell a story (I play games for stories, here I come bioshock infinite)
* As far as I'm concerned the game attains its peak during the burning temple level. The 2-3 levels leading to this part were exhilarating. I was surprised it was far from being the last level. As said previously, the lengthy single player mode was nice for that kind of game.
* It's still buggy with nvidia cards, and I went from 30fps/high vsync to 60fps/ultra vsync with new drivers after I finished 90% of the game. That's not good PR.
* TressFX was bad performance-wise on my pc, and imho not that good looking. Next step is to have tressfx on all characters, even npc, fix the collision detection between hair and shoulders and reduce the performance gap

I wish there were more collapsing walkway games like this :D

Well theres deadspace 3. You would think issac being an engineer would be able to tell if a structure was unstable.

ps: about game length, just playing through dead island goty and its a seriously big game.

ps: about game length, just playing through dead island goty and its a seriously big game.

For me there is a difference when talking about game length or open world games. Of course, you can easily put 100+ into Skyrim. But then you do not have one single story, with tight interesting (non-boring) story telling, throughout that 100+. It is much more difficult in my opinion for a story game to last long (15h) and be interesting at the same time compared to a open world game. I put 120+ plus into Borderlands 2 e.g. But Tomb Raider and e.g. Bioshock are in an other genre imo. And I love those story games and I love when they offer meaty and non-boring content for over 12h. And in this sense Tomb Raider is a perfect example for me.

This game really is superb, I'm only a couple of hours in but so far it's easily one of the best games I've played this generation. And it's graphically stunning. Again, easily one of the best looking games I've ever played and looks completely out of this world in 3D. I can honestly say in 3D this game impresses me considerably more than most of the "next generation" showcases in 2D.

I can only imagine the euphoria that 3D would produce when combined with some of the crazy 80s shit in Blood Dragon. ;)

Tomb Raider just too boring for me. I need rainbows, cyborgs, and hand lasers.

...and looks completely out of this world in 3D.
Ditto. Took me a while to figure out what the different 3D settings do.. seems that no matter what I changed, it looked more or less the same. I ended up going with both depth and strength at maximum.

For those that are wondering, the Depth setting controls interocular distance, so it makes things look further away at higher settings. The Strength setting controls the convergence point, and the higher the Strength, the further out the convergence point is. The game is still very much depth-based (looking "into" the world, rather than things popping out at you), but pushing the Strength to maximum pushes convergence at least a few feet out of the camera. This has the effect of bringing Lara "closer" to the camera, to provide a greater sense of separation between her and the background, which is what I was looking for. Especially when looking out over the vistas or crossing chasms on a log. :)

Back