PC Monitors for HD gaming

Fox5 said:
Metroid Prime was only available as a PAL 60 release, so maybe it was timed to the framerate.
No, the original was not, so I don't see why the sequel would be. MP ran just as fast in 50Hz as 60Hz mode, only difference was 60Hz was slightly smoother (and had more slowdown), while 50Hz had greater screen resolution. Overall I much preferred 50Hz mode I might add.

It'd be a bad idea for games with unstable framerates to tie things to the framerate though, but I think even PC games from the mid to late 90s have been guilty of it.
Painkiller on PC and Zone of the Enders 2 on PS2 are both tied to framerate and will physically slow down when the framerate does. Painkiller on a weak PC is literally like playing the game as if everything is slogging through a sea of molasses. :p

These are quite big exceptions from the rule however...

Even in game I can't handle the 60hz on a CRT thing, but a lot of people don't notice an issue at all.

Guden Oden said:
No, the original was not, so I don't see why the sequel would be. MP ran just as fast in 50Hz as 60Hz mode, only difference was 60Hz was slightly smoother (and had more slowdown), while 50Hz had greater screen resolution. Overall I much preferred 50Hz mode I might add.

Painkiller on PC and Zone of the Enders 2 on PS2 are both tied to framerate and will physically slow down when the framerate does. Painkiller on a weak PC is literally like playing the game as if everything is slogging through a sea of molasses. :p

These are quite big exceptions from the rule however...

No wonder the animation in painkiller always looked so smooth! That, and I thought those were bullet time effects.

I'll just ad a bit about XB360: it doesnt even output 1080p.
Most run at 720P (some upscaled apparently).

The highest my Xbox360 does 1360x768, but I usually keep it around 1280x1024, and even if a higher resolution was offered I'm not so sure I'd use it.

*My CRT is about 19.8 inches viewable so the optimal resolution for this monitor is 1280x960, but I don't like that setting cause my monitor isn't widescreen, so I chose 1280x1024 which is still an excellent choice. Something much higher, like 1600x1200, or much lower, like 1024x768, aren't the best settings for a monitor of this size as too large a setting increases the pixel per inch which in turn could send more data than my eye can see or my monitor can effectively use. Setting the resolution too low will cause everything to lose detail.*

There is actually a chart at the http://normankoren.com website for different sized monitors and the correct resolutions. You may also find the recommended settings in your monitors manual or website.

And yes, quite a few Xbox360 games are upscaled so you won't see a huge difference if any, Rumble Roses XX looks almost exactly the same at a higher resolution on my computer monitor as it does running in 480p on my Trinitron TV set, but DOA4 is a looker at 1280x1024 :)

If you have a CRT monitor and want to calibrate it, just so you can see the astronomical difference it makes, head over to http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html and follow the advice there. Be sure and download QuickGamma software and reset your video card color adjustments back to default.

Huh? said:
*My CRT is about 19.8 inches viewable so the optimal resolution for this monitor is 1280x960, but I don't like that setting cause my monitor isn't widescreen..
1280x960 is not widescreen, it is 4:3 just like any standard CRT.

kyleb said:
1280x960 is not widescreen, it is 4:3 just like any standard CRT.

Ah, your right, sorry about that. I was confusing myself with what I have the Xbox360 set to and what my PC's settings were.

I DO have my PC set to 1280x960. I meant to say that my Xbox360 is set at 1280x1024 because 1280x960 isn't offered, and the other settings are either a hair too low or a hair too high for this monitor to use optimally.

There, I think that's right.

Back