[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

Did you try the full network install of SP3? The web update has always sucked for me when it comes to service pack installs.

Due to my CPU overheating and being throttled by the Thermal Monitor, my previous benchmarks are invalid.

Your definatly being held back by your CPU. I only have a GTS 640 but I can get over 30fps at various settings in the benchmark.

Thats with a 2.4Ghz dual Conroe.

Your definatly being held back by your CPU. I only have a GTS 640 but I can get over 30fps at various settings in the benchmark.

Thats with a 2.4Ghz dual Conroe.
Yes, I know that but I question the underlying engine when going from highest to lowest settings only yields +10 FPS.

It's as if the GPU is not utilised.

Yes, I know that but I question the underlying engine when going from highest to lowest settings only yields +10 FPS.

It's as if the GPU is not utilised.

Pretty much. The game simply isn't very GPU limited but its extremely CPU limited. As your scores demonstrate, just to get the game running smoothly even on the lowest settings you need > 2GHz dual Conroe. Even at 2.4Ghz mine struggles.

Pretty much. The game simply isn't very GPU limited but its extremely CPU limited. As your scores demonstrate, just to get the game running smoothly even on the lowest settings you need > 2GHz dual Conroe. Even at 2.4Ghz mine struggles.
I can't accept that this is intentional. I think they render too much using the CPU.

For instance, why are all the shadows perforated? It looks like crap.

I have no answer for that. It's just a feeling. I don't think the game does anything more than San Andreas except for having a proper physics engine for objects. Only cars had physics in the old games.

I have no answer for that. It's just a feeling. I don't think the game does anything more than San Andreas except for having a proper physics engine for objects. Only cars had physics in the old games.

There's Euphoria in place of ragdoll physics, too.

How do you figure they are rendering anything on the CPU? I'm guessing the system bus is saturated by all the calculations they are doing on it to simulate the city.

What else would it be?

The simulation done for the city is of the lighter type. It's just fade-in fade-out random actors running random acting scripts.

Physics update distance?
Advanced AI?
Streaming time spent on CPU?
Animation system in the predefined radius?

I believe not. And would it be system bus saturation wouldnt the xbox360 be heavily crippled since it's also used for graphics?

What else would it be?

The simulation done for the city is of the lighter type. It's just fade-in fade-out random actors running random acting scripts.

Physics update distance?
Advanced AI?
Streaming time spent on CPU?
Animation system in the predefined radius?

I believe not. And would it be system bus saturation wouldnt the xbox360 be heavily crippled since it's also used for graphics?

With a much-restricted draw distance.

How do you figure they are rendering anything on the CPU? I'm guessing the system bus is saturated by all the calculations they are doing on it to simulate the city.

I may have mentioned this earlier or in another thread, but I don't see how that can be the case. If it were, then Quads would perform no better than duals since they have the same bus. And dual Penryns would actually be faster than quad Conroes because they have a faster bus. But in every case, the quads are faster.

Did you try the full network install of SP3? The web update has always sucked for me when it comes to service pack installs.

nope, did the web update. and you're right, it sucked. i kind of thought it was on purpose on window's part. anyway got to a point where i couldn't boot in any mode whatsover. the "Windows XP" welcome boot screen even dimmed!

tried it twice. basically had to do everything i did when i first built the PC as far as install and drivers and such, only this time. ..once i got it upgraded, the install shield app claimed it was corrupted and wouldn't run (couldn't reinstall games, utilities, etc).

so i punted and went with vista (the next day)....then in the middle of that install...POWER OUTAGE...start over...everything fine after that.

at least i can finally play Halo2. which turns out to be a letdown (gun sounds? sheesh) but then maybe i just wasn't in the mood.

GTA4 hasn't really grabbed me to tightly yet either. can you still mug people for cash? seems people don't die so easily anymore, even when hit with cars. and nobody i've beaten down has any floating cash. took me a long time to find a bat.

is there still a gambling venue?

I don't think the game does anything more than San Andreas except for having a proper physics engine for objects. Only cars had physics in the old games.
The old games had a lot less going on in general; less persistence, less physics, less vehicles, less pedestrians, less animations, less contextual AI actions. If you can't see that I can only guess you haven't played much GTA4.

It is used for graphics, but it is also a rather hefty bus setup for 3 year old hardware. Even then my e8500@401MHz runs the game notably smoother and with better draw distances than my 360.

I may have mentioned this earlier or in another thread, but I don't see how that can be the case. If it were, then Quads would perform no better than duals since they have the same bus. And dual Penryns would actually be faster than quad Conroes because they have a faster bus. But in every case, the quads are faster.
I'm sorry, I meant to say "CPU or system bus limited" CPU limited on the duals, system bus limited on the quads, as I suggested in response to your previous comment back here.

maybe this game would benefit from physx ?
I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

The old games had a lot less going on in general; less persistence, less physics, less vehicles, less pedestrians, less animations, less contextual AI actions. If you can't see that I can only guess you haven't played much GTA4.
Yes, you are right. I haven't played much. I still think it's too CPU dependent.

Back