[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

Installed patch 1, doesnt really seem to make a difference in performance. Maybe 1 or 2 fps more, maybe 1 or 2 less, depending on where you are. shadows seem to be partially fixed. The shadows on the ground seem less pixely, now only the edges look bad. Shadows projected on wall etc still look bad.

Say, when are the new ATI or nvidia cards due? I am gonna upgrade this shit to some Core i7 lovin'.
In around a month. I plan to get one of the new cards at launch, and an i7 setup as well. The mutiplayer for GTA4 and Crysis are my two favorite games at the moment, and while my e8500/8800gt setup gets by well enough for the most part, in particularly heavy action I'm still left wanting better framerate in both.

In around a month. I plan to get one of the new cards at launch, and an i7 setup as well. The mutiplayer for GTA4 and Crysis are my two favorite games at the moment, and while my e8500/8800gt setup gets by well enough for the most part, in particularly heavy action I'm still left wanting better framerate in both.
Thanks. I'm basically in the same boat: E6300@2100 and 8800 GTX.

Man, why don't I have analog control! The sticks have it, but the triggers for some unknowable reason don't!

Just for my peace of mind, the walk/run is controlled by everyone else by the press of a button, right? You can't switch between walking and running simply by using the analog stick can you?

Not in single player. Well, you can walk real slow by just moving the analog stick a hair, but yeah, you have to press A to run and tap it to sprint. In multiplayer walk/run is all on the analog and just hold A to sprint.

As for your triggers not working as anolog, perhaps you need to update your controller drivers?

Man, why don't I have analog control! The sticks have it, but the triggers for some unknowable reason don't!

Just for my peace of mind, the walk/run is controlled by everyone else by the press of a button, right? You can't switch between walking and running simply by using the analog stick can you?

Have you checked the input device settings for the controller, see if the triggers are mapped onto another axis?

Have you checked the input device settings for the controller, see if the triggers are mapped onto another axis?

It all seems fine in the control panel. All behaving as expected. Its fine in other games with analog triggers too.

The only thing I could think of us that I have xpadder installed on my system - however its not even active when i'm in the game so I don't see how that could be effecting anything.

kyleb said:
As for your triggers not working as anolog, perhaps you need to update your controller drivers?

I'm not sure you can get updated drivers for the 360 control pad can you? UNless they're downloaded through Wondows update but i'm fully up to date there.

Yeah, the drivers come though Windows update as optional updates.

Anyway, looking at the fix I'm guessing the problem is just with the wireless setup as I still use an old wired version I bought a few days before the 360 was released.

I'd imagine you can take that E6300 much higher, mine did 3.2Ghz.
I overclocked it to 2.4 GHz and running the workload tests in TAT, it hit 80 degrees C and the thermal monitor kicked in. I guess the stock HSF is holding me back. :)

Now I'm running it at 2.2 GHz with the memory at 4:5 FSB.

Sounds like the heatsink still isn't installed well and/or you've got really poor case ventilation. The stock heatsinks are far from the best, but using one a Conroe at 2.4GHz shouldn't get anywhere close to 80c unless perhaps you've got the voltage cranked.

I guess the fastening mechanism is broken. One of the thingies was bent so I pushed it back in line and I think it just pops out. Meh, maybe I'll buy an aftermarket HSF.

You could always just get some nuts and bolts to tack it down right, along with some rubber washers so as not to harm the motherboard. But yeah, a good HSF would be even better.

I don't know if I'll bother. I'm contemplating upgrading this crap to a Core i7 or something.

soon it'll be time to overclock my fx60 (liquid cooled plus big fans). i built it like that to learn the overclocking racket when it got long in the tooth. i may try the cooking oil submersion technique, if i can come up with something more tasteful than dunking the appropriate bits in a rubbermaid tub. something all sciency looking.

This game will never be satisfied, video-wise. I just recevied a new videocard yet the game insists on still crawling. Plus it looks terrible. I would have thought the ability to raise the resolution up a few notches would at least mask the fact that there's zero AA. And the difference between medium and high textures isn't even noticeable, at least I didn't see any. The fact that I can max out Crysis and have it run flawlessly, yet this piece of shit can't give me a decent framerate makes me despise Rockstar for creating, officially, the most graphically demanding game to date. Albeit, I didn't fool around with it all that much. I simply changed some settings, checked it out for a few minutes, then logged out in disgust.

Perhaps more tweaking is in order. I really don't care, though. I've been so disappointed with this release, it kind of makes me was to re-sell it and just play the stupid thing on my 360. I never thought I'd willingly choose a console game over the PC, but for performance's sake, I just may.

Maybe it's just me, and my expectations are far too high, but apparently it's too much to ask to ever even consider maxing this game out without risking damaging my card. If that's the case, why do I even bother?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's just me, and my expectations are far too high, but apparently it's too much to ask to ever even consider maxing this game out without risking damaging my card. If that's the case, why do I even bother?

Its not about maxing out, but high-end rig owners not even being able to get decent perfomance at high settings (lets say maxed is ultra). And then visual feedback is disgutsting. And jaggy galore fest FTL.

Back