PC Games are... surging.

PC games are surging:

PC gaming is on the rise, and while it'd be easy to claim that these successes lie in the superior processing and graphical potential of the PC caused by such a lengthy console cycle, the truth is that keys of the platform's resurgence may ultimately lie in much more mundane roots.

Way back in April, the PC Gaming Alliance revealed that the PC gaming market had brought in a total of 20 billion dollars in 2012, marking a full eight percent gain over the figures from the last year. Some of that number has to do with the release of hits like Diablo III, which sold more than 3.5 million copies within 24 hours of its PC release, but that's but a piece of a larger puzzle that saw widespread interest across games from countless genres and from multiple publishers.

One of the big shifts in the new console generation is the reliance on AMD's x86 architecture, making it easier than ever for developers to port their games to the PC.

And this one...

For that, we have to turn to digital distribution services of the likes of GOG, Origin, and most importantly, Steam. Set aside the blessed convenience of being able to access almost any game you want at any time, digital distribution services also tend to trump out their retail and console cousins by price alone. It's usually even enough to justify the purchase of new hardware since the savings you receive from the sales still result in smaller expenditures than you'd witness with boxed console games.

I think that's probably the largest reason.

Regards,
SB

And this one...

I think that's probably the largest reason.

Regards,
SB

Price is definitely a significant factor (especially during sales) but I think there's a lot of convenience involved. Just being able to shop from your desk, see something on Steam, and with today's broadband you can have it and be playing it in 10-30 minutes.

No travelling to a shop with high prices and a tiny selection to be treated like a third class customer. Just instant gratification.

Yeah online stores present games extremely well and make them stupid simple to buy. It works. Steam seems to be a sort of collection habit for some people I know.

Excellent news. I wonder how the new consoles will effect this though, both in the short and long term, especially if its another 10 year console generation.

Good news if true but it comes from the PC gaming alliance who like fox news in the past don't let facts hamper there agenda

One of you start gaming on a high end custom built desktop there is no return. Consoles can't even come close in terms of quality, value, comfort, or customization. My current overclocked ivy bridge beast will blow away the ps4/720 and they're not even out yet. And in a few years I can simply upgrade a few parts for half the price of a console..

Steam seems to be a sort of collection habit for some people I know.

Its a last resort for me
1. I have to get someone to buy it for me as I have no bank account
2. I worry that steam wont be around indefinitely
3. its a hassle setting up a separate account for each game.
4. Any company that says "agree not to sue us or we will take all your games away from you" are a bunch
of cunts
4. I'm a collector I value the physical object, I want a dvd, i want a box, I want a manual ect...

My current overclocked ivy bridge beast will blow away the ps4/720 and they're not even out yet.
It's not that simple. Consoles have way, way less software overhead to get stuff rendered on the screen, and the CPU and GPU are also much more tightly coupled physically, enabling effects processing that won't be (as) feasible on even a high-powered PC because round-trip latency is too long when you have to go across the rather slow PCIe interface both ways.

It's not that simple. Consoles have way, way less software overhead to get stuff rendered on the screen, and the CPU and GPU are also much more tightly coupled physically, enabling effects processing that won't be (as) feasible on even a high-powered PC because round-trip latency is too long when you have to go across the rather slow PCIe interface both ways.

yea but looking at whats coming later this year and 2014 doesn't paint a great picture for consoles.

We have Hawaii coming from amd which is the leaked benchmarks are true we will be getting titan + performance at whats rumored to be $600 pricing. Broadwell is also coming next year too which is going to be a big leap forward in terms of performance with the micron drop. Next year we should also transition to ddr 4 .

The other thing is these new consoles have tons of cpu cores , an amd gcn gpu and are x86-64 . So we should actually see the rise of 64bit games capable of using as much ram as a pc can throw at them.

They said the same about Haswell. Wonder if Broadwell really is going to be that much faster. There isn't really any reason for Intel to release a much faster cpu given that they have no competition in the high end market.

Not that it matters, I doubt any half decent current cpu is going to have problems with performance. Last generation the consoles actually had pretty good hardware for their day but I never had any cpu performance problems on my pc with a q6600 and 2gb ram. That cpu only launched about a year after the consoles. Given how the ps4/one use a cpu that wouldn't have raised any eyebrows on the performance point of view even if it launched 12 months ago I doubt anyone with a fast ivy bridge cpu is going to run out of performance anytime soon.

ivy bridge to haswell was the same micron process. Broadwell is a new micron process. So I would expect some changes to the cpu. We might even see 6 cores enter gaming market as the current 6 cores are quite expensive from intel

To give PC's credit, I bricked my mobo and then went out a got a replacement. I was quite ready for a long rebuild by having something as critical as a mobo change.

Much to my content and shock, there was nothing to do. I uninstalled the OC utilit for the dead mobo and installed the tools for the new one. Back in business. Ran some benchmarks and they came out the same.

This is on Windows 8.1

ivy bridge to haswell was the same micron process. Broadwell is a new micron process. So I would expect some changes to the cpu. We might even see 6 cores enter gaming market as the current 6 cores are quite expensive from intel

The roadmaps aren't really promising a 6 core model though. Also Sandy to Ivy was a node change and per clock performance didn't improve much and Intel even gimped the heat transfer solution to the heatsink and thus Ivy's don't overclock as well.

The GTA V example mentioned earlier imo is more about the +200$ million dollars spent on the game than PS3's capabilities, although I do find it very impressive also. I'm sure there will be console exclusives later on that'll look and play very good though.

I guess we just have to see what broadwell brings. I don't think intel will miss a chance to jump further ahead in the pc realm . 2014 should have amd actually release something for desktops that isn't fully recycled. So I'm sure they will want to push out the performance crown

To give PC's credit, I bricked my mobo and then went out a got a replacement. I was quite ready for a long rebuild by having something as critical as a mobo change.

Much to my content and shock, there was nothing to do. I uninstalled the OC utilit for the dead mobo and installed the tools for the new one. Back in business. Ran some benchmarks and they came out the same.

This is on Windows 8.1

As long as you're using Standard AHCI Driver then swapping motherboards isn't nearly as bad as it used to be years ago. I've done several swaps on Windows 7.

As long as you're using Standard AHCI Driver then swapping motherboards isn't nearly as bad as it used to be years ago. I've done several swaps on Windows 7.

I generally follow the KISS principle and let windows do it's thing. The only manual driver updates I do are video cards for betas.

This is on Windows 8.1

We've noticed the same as well with Windows 8. We never had luck with Windows 7 at changing motherboards, it would always just blue screen. But we've changed multiple mobo's on Windows 8 machines so far and they just worked, we were actually quite surprised and pleased. Even switching same mobo to same mobo, it would fail on Windows 7 and work on Windows 8. Mind you we're more and more switching to laptops now...but it's a nice feature of Windows 8, makes upgrading quite easy.

Back