Parhelia experience

Typedef Enum said:
I thought I would also share some information, with regards to drivers and Matrox support...

Drivers

First of all, the drivers have been very good, with respect to compatibility. Forget about speed/optimizations, the first several months are all about NOT crashing your system.

Since I've had this card, I've not BSOD'd one time. This is a pretty amazing feat, given how much development Matrox had to do in getting this thing up and running. A jump from G400->Parhelia is quite large.

It's also obvious that Matrox is now beginning to tune their drivers. The last driver release really provided a huge jump in OpenGL CAD applications, along with Quake3-engine games. There have also been other optimizations that users have reported on over @ the MURC.

So, I think we're just beginning to see good performance out of this thing. I know this thing has a lot more headroom left, which is always a good thing.

Support

The other nice thing that I've noticed with Matrox is their interaction with users, which is quite a different thing with respect to nVidia.

They have personally emailed me with certain info (some of which has not been released...), posted to the MURC, etc.

There's one guy who's main mission is in the area of Surround Gaming. He posts fixes, new game titles, etc. Always responds to threads directed at him.

They have also just released a utility which handles Surround Gaming configurations...No more need to hack the registry, change config. files, etc. The app. takes care of everything for you.

Finally, they have also been dropping hints that some additional "stuff" will be provided in the upcoming release. One of those is definitely the overclocking tool, which should help boost performance (I've already seen overclocking data, and 30 MHz. jump in clock yielded something close to 20 FPS in some apps)...the others sound like a combination of FAA fixes, optimizations, and more features (A.F?).

Anyhow, the experience has been much better than I thought. I sorta thought that it would be a little scary, but much to my surprise, it has not been a problem.

[/u]

Let me correct this - my adventures from end of June... ;)

Drivers

1. First driver (from the CD): 3dsmax didn't work under OpenGL, lot of games didn't started or randomly quit, famous PS-error with MotoGP (immediately BSOD) - this is the worst driverset.
2. The second one: 3dsmax OGL-fixed, games still crashing, MotoGP still BSOD'ng :), Mafia looks ridiculous (pedestrians on rollerblades. everybody look like the crucifixed Jesus on the tree, etc) - still serious hassles.
3. Leaked driver: some development, PS-error still exist.
4. Current driver: much better, this is the first set we can call DRIVER.

I don't know why everybody loves Matrox driver-style: this is simply ridiculous. (Same thing that happend with their G-family's OpenGL suppport, if you remember... :()
I'm sorry to say but the start was preposterous.

Support - only one mark is enough...

After I got the card from them, they were informed by me about a very serious problem: card didn't work in a Evo W8000 even didn't boot up. They agreed, promised a solution - and nothing happend in the next few weeks.
If somebody attended on this year Siggraph maybe noticed one thing: the most commonly used workstation was the Cpq Evo W8000...

Well, now we have a card and it's working fine.

That's the matter, anyway! :cool:

PS: After three months its release - exactly same thing like the 8500-story last fall...

oh well, could not stay away from here less than a bit over 2 weeks... But here we go again...

I'll keep this short:
comparison between OGL drivers in specview:
OLD:
specview.gif

and NEW:
specview2.gif

source: http://www.darkcrow.co.kr/homedirectory/home.asp?idx=#1234

I would say that results are rather interesting... (or as I am a fan boy I should obiously say: "Holy crap!! that thing beats Radeon 9700!!!11" but that wouldn't be very pro...)

Looking forward upcoming things from their R&D...

O)ut of curiosity, nappe1, wht version drivers are being used for the other cards?
I bet not the latest drivers...

jb,

Those IQ improvements do NOT make the experience more interactive. You can throw out all the kudos towards high-resolution AntiAliasing/etc., but it just doesn't improve the interactive experience...

On the flip side, have YOU tried Aliens vs. Predators in Surround Gaming mode? How about Flight Simulator 2002? Nascar 2002? UT2003? Duke Nuke Em (Manhattan) ?

I'm just telling you...Although I admit that there are drawbacks in Surround Gaming, there's just no comparison. I don't need to use a 9700 to know that it simply will NOT make the game more enjoyable.

Look, when I take one of the surround gaming titles and play it using 1 monitor, it's like comparing apples to oranges. It's one of those deals you just say to yourself, "Yeah right...One monitor is just as good, eh?"

About the fill-rate issue...This is another one of these deals that's just not reported correctly. I don't care what the actual fill-rate is, the Parhelia CAN allow you to use Surround Gaming in a way that doesn't sacrifice performance...to the extent where you get a really good picture, but with horrid performance results. I'm telling you...I have tried like 60% of the supported Surround Gaming titles, and not one of them (to include UT2003) prevent you from enjoying Surround Gaming.

One last thing on the 2D side...You will find a lot of people @ the MURC who obviously came from the G400/550 side of things, when upgrading to this product. To a man, the common theme among them was, "I didn't think they could do any better than what I had...and boy was I wrong."

The single biggest thing I noticed, right off the bat, was my 2nd LCD. I plugged that guy into my Ti4200's Analog output, and it was just ridiculous...With the Parhelia, it's just amazing. And, of course, the overall 2D is just sick looking compared to anything else on the market. Yes, the ATI stuff is well regarded, but I can tell you (from my POV) that there's just no comparison between Matrox and anybody else. I have done a 180 on this issue, as even I was pretty much of the opinion that there wasn't a heck of a lot of difference in 2D anymore.

Typedef, no doubt SG is a game-changing experience. But Ryu is only using two analog monitors, so I think a 9700 is a legitimate option. Both cards have their minor limitations, but the Parhelia just gets eaten alive by the 9700 in every benchmark I've seen (Tech-Report has a new one).

I'm in no way implying that the Parhelia is a bad card, but your response seems pretty strong for my innocent questions. Have you tried a 9700 with your setup (comparing digital to analog 2000FP quality), to compare it to your Parhelia? A 4200 to a Parhelia is about as big a step as you can take in regards to signal quality at 16x12, if what I've read is true (namely, the latest TR 4200 roundup that said all the cards in their roundup were abysmal at 16x12).

Pete,

My main point is this (again)...I don't need to slap a 9700 in my system to know that it will kick ass, performance wise. I'm not disputing this claim.

What I'm telling you is this...There's no doubt at all that Surround Gaming adds a dimension to the gameplay that no other can provide. In the end, the 9700's claim to fame is the ability to jack up the features. That's kool and all, but it does NOT add a dimension to the gameplay. Again, I don't need to fire one up to make this claim.

The benchmark numbers, IMHO, tell not EVEN 1/2 the story. I was going to say 1/2, but even that's too generous. Given my exposure to this thing the last couple of weeks, I can say that the numbers that have been tossed around are, by and large, totally insignificant. The darn thing plays all games perfectly, and has desktop IQ that cannot be topped. I would say that the gaming IQ is unmatched, but I cannot reasonably make this claim without having a 9700 here @ the house.

Althornin said:
O)ut of curiosity, nappe1, wht version drivers are being used for the other cards?
I bet not the latest drivers...

I don't know.

actually I don't care... The key isn't how it compares against those cards, but the key is that in most of the tests, Parhelia has about doubled performance. which I would call some improvment. (Matrox really doesn't advertise their driver updates like the two bigger ones, this I would call something that would have need some PR to get more publicity.)

I don't have statistics about how much those drivers helped on OpenGL gaming, but I did do some searching on madonion's ORB and find out that on 1700XP+ based system new drivers boosted score about 10 %. ( OLD: 7200 NEW: 7890) both tests were made on by _same_ person with system other than driver version being equal.

Those IQ improvements do NOT make the experience more interactive. You can throw out all the kudos towards high-resolution AntiAliasing/etc., but it just doesn't improve the interactive experience

My point for me is that it DOES make the game more fun to play. Last night I was trying to get some screen shots on different games on the R9700. I loaded up Red Faction and found my self playing on line for over an hour. The game became more fun once I could run it at more fluid frame rates. I know its not the same thing as SG. but it can make older games more fun and that, to me, is what matters.

My point for me is that it DOES make the game more fun to play. Last night I was trying to get some screen shots on different games on the R9700. I loaded up Red Faction and found my self playing on line for over an hour. The game became more fun once I could run it at more fluid frame rates. I know its not the same thing as SG. but it can make older games more fun and that, to me, is what matters.

I definetly agree with u there!

But I also agree that SG ifluences gameplay in a bigger way (if u own 3 monitors, that is...).

I'd love to have surround-gaming going, but for the fluidity I'd desire, I will have to wait for the Matrox refresh-part. Perhaps a 0.13 micron part running at 375Mhz. Though I doubt Matrox will have a refresh part out within 9 months. :(

Maybe ATI-Nvidia will include that feature for their spring refresh parts. I can dream...

--|BRiT|

Typedef Enum said:
What game(s) do you want to use S.G. for that would be too slow for the current Parhelia version?

I'm not really sure, to tell you the truth, but I have a feeling that UT2K3 may be pushing usability of Surround Gaming. I currently run an ATI-8500 at 1280x960/1024-32bit+16xAF (UT2K3 demo, NWN, SS:SE) or 1600x1200-32bit+16xAF (Q3, JK2) or sometimes 1024x768-32bit+16AF+4AA. Despite my desires, I've been sticking to a 12-month upgrade cycle for video cards and about 18-month for cpus. I'm also trying to gauge performance of games yet to be released within the next 6-9 months. So this would most likely be my card until the 2003 fall-release time-period.

From what I make from the benchmarks, (Yeah, I know, benchmarks arn't everything but it's only way I have to gauge things), the Matrox-P seems to run on par with the ATI-8500, without SurroundGaming. How much of a drop does the Matrox-P suffer when S.G. is enabled?

Are there any helpful links you could point out, such as discussions on MU-forums?

--|BRiT|

If Surround Gaming is available in UT2003 it is purely a gimmick. The game is too graphically intensive... On a map like Antalus a Parhelia will die trying to run in SG. I know my R8500 is practically unplayable on Antalus getting 30 fps or less at times, which in a game like UT2003 is absolutely horrible (to the point where it is borderline unplayable, at least from a competitive sense).

It won't give you any advantage over other gamers because they'll have R9700s running at 60+ fps, while you are chugging along at <20 and barely able to move. I'm sure it looks cool, and it might even be ok if you just play the game casually, but as soon as you are in a ladder match, running at 20 fps is nowhere near acceptable.

Once again this is an example of the Parhelia just not being powerful enough to expose these features (much like FSAA on the original GF and V5).

Typedef Enum said:
What game(s) do you want to use S.G. for that would be too slow for the current Parhelia version?
None, if 320x240x32x3 (monitors) is your goal resolution.
Lots if 1600x1200x32x3 is, i'd bet.
And even more if you dont want to deal with jaggies (FAA) and even more if you want good looking textures (Aniso).
Fillrate wise, it HAS to take a 3x hit when going to surround gaming.
I'm not saying the feature is worthless, i just dont think i would be willing to sacrifice resolution to get SG.
800x600 IS UGLY. I dont care if its 3 monitors of it or not :)
Sure, SG is immersive, and nice (if you can afford 3 monitors - and LCD monitors suck for gaming anyways, IMO, until they get better REAL refresh rates) but the performance simply isnt there.
Its like AA was a couple generations ago.
Sure, it looked good. But it was only usuable at 800x600, and most people didnt use it...

you're basing your opinions on the anandtech ut2k3 test he had with an early build and early parhelia drivers, the latest parhelia drivers have increased the perfomances by at least 10% if not more , and the S.G hit is by far less than 3x

a 8500 doesn't compared to a parhelia , with the latest drivers, it's easy to compared the parhelia to a gf4 ti4600 ..

and 800x600 is not that ugly , once you turn FAA 16x on ..

I'll see if I can get some numbers when I get home tonight...But I can tell you from 1st hand experience that I have yet to play a single game that's "too much" for Surround Gaming...

Matrox has done a pretty darn good job with their drivers thus far...of course, there isn't a single website out there that has made note of this fact either.

Ryu, did you try an ATi card with that setup? AFAIK, ATi doesn't allow independent resolutions in W2K, but as you have identical monitors, I wouldn't think that'd be a problem. A 9700 seems like a much better price/performance proposition ATM. Assuming you value gaming performance, that is.

The 8500 and below do not properly support dual independent in Windows 2000. They do of course support stretched desktops quite well. Problem is I hate stretched desktops. If your first experience with dual monitors was under a stretched environment I suppose you might get used to it, but I personally think stretched desktops are just asstastic.

The 9700 does support full dual indepedent in Windows 2000, but I was tired of playing around* and these graphics from TecChannel pretty much put any debate I had to rest.

ATI RADEON 8500

Matrox Parhelia

The built by ATI 8500 signal quality isn't bad there. The rise and fall times are a bit wide and thus there can be some spatial resolution problems. Also the swing on the mV is a little high meaning the colors will be slightly washed by too much brightness. Albeit the brightness thing would become a subjective point of view. Some people will prefer the more washed look.

The Parhelia signal by comparison is pristine, the rise and fall times are nearly identical and the mV swing range is just right. Not too dark and not too bright.

Yes, the 9700 is a different card with a different price tag and I'm sure that ATI probably did go with slightly better filters on the 9700 if only because of the faster RAMDAC. I still have my doubts as to whether or not it would be as good as the Parhelia.

*By playing around I mean buying new NVIDIA video cards. People had been going on and on about how the GF4 series was much better than the GF3 or GF2 series in 2D quality. So I bought that GF4 Ti4200 from Gainward and a new Visiontek MX420 PCI. The Gainward 4200 stunk, it was simply no better than the GF3 from MSI. And the Visiontek MX420 PCI wouldn't work in my MSI K7N420 Pro due to some BIOS issue. I exchanaged the Visiontek MX420 for a PNY model and faced the same issue. I eventually gave up and just moved the card to my server as an option to running dual monitors there. I had wasted the money, I had tested the waters, and I didn't like what I had found.

With regard to the 3D performance argument, I found the whole argument against Parhelia a little overblown. The only time I ever game is on the weekends/LAN parties. I don't game alone and I don't buy games that only have single player. In fact I prefer co-op games. System Shock 2 co-op was the most enjoyable experience I think I've ever had. So when I looked at the facts for me, the 9700 was just seemed silly. It was yet another expensive purchase that had the potential of not doing what I needed to do. I need to drive two 21" monitors at 1600x1200@85 with cyrstal clarity under Windows 2000 with dual independent. It sounds like a simple problem, but it's more difficult than most people realize.

You also have to remember that the viewable areas of most games are locked. Meaning that wether you are running 640x480 or 1600x1200 you see the exact same amount of the screen. At this point in time it's easier to lower the resolution and increase the amount of AA and AF on the screen. The Parhelia is more than adequate at lower resolutions and I pretty much game exclusively at 800x600 (have for years now, ever since my Voodoo 2 days) and kick in all the AA and AF options.

Still, sounds like an incredible setup.

It is amazing and it is something I feel everyone would immediately appreciate. It's not quite like RAID or SMP where the benefits are sometimes obscured.

Typedef, no doubt SG is a game-changing experience. But Ryu is only using two analog monitors, so I think a 9700 is a legitimate option. Both cards have their minor limitations, but the Parhelia just gets eaten alive by the 9700 in every benchmark I've seen (Tech-Report has a new one).

I'm in no way implying that the Parhelia is a bad card, but your response seems pretty strong for my innocent questions. Have you tried a 9700 with your setup (comparing digital to analog 2000FP quality), to compare it to your Parhelia? A 4200 to a Parhelia is about as big a step as you can take in regards to signal quality at 16x12, if what I've read is true (namely, the latest TR 4200 roundup that said all the cards in their roundup were abysmal at 16x12).

That would be true. The 4200 cards are just terrible at high resolutions. The 4400 cards waffle between good and poor in this area and the 4600 cards are typically good to very good. The RADEON 8500 cards manage to be good to quite good. When compared at an objective level though, very few acheive the perfection of the Parhelia output. As I have already stated I suspect the 9700 will stand up at least in the same class as the 8500, maybe even a bit better, but finding out cost money and with most places charging a restocking fee for returns and places like NewEgg not accepting any returns at all on the 9700 Pro (unless it's a lemon), testing a 9700 is an expensive proposition. For that matter being slightly better than the 8500 still doesn't put it into the same league as the Parhelia. Why mess around when I know objectively that the Parhelia is going to do the better job?

I would try a 9700 if someone sent one to me for free. That's not going to happen though, so it's somewhat a moot point. When a AIW 9700 Pro built by ATI hits the market I may test the waters, but right now the 9700 is just a really expensive venture that may or may not do what I need it to do, but it games really fast.

Not having one makes number two pointless. Especially seeing as the only real appeal to the 9700 Pro is being able to game at resolutions like 1600x1200. Well if the 2D quality sucks hind tit at that level don't expect the 3D quality to be much better.

If you are a hardcore gamer. If framerate is life for you buying an LCD and going DVI is simply the only smart choice. Leave the bonds of analog behind and laugh at all the people who have to make the choice. Unfortunately I don't like LCDs for numerous reasons, but if you want your cake and to eat it too, DVI allows for gamers to have the most power without worrying about 2D analog quality.

Ryu Connor said:
If you are a hardcore gamer. If framerate is life for you buying an LCD and going DVI is simply the only smart choice.
The rest of your post i'd mostly agree with, but this little tidbit is wrong in so many ways.
LCD is NOT for the hardcore "Framerate is life" gamer.
End of Story.
Real refresh reates arent there yet.
The BEST i have seen quoted is a white to black to white time of 25ms - a true framerate of 40frames/sec.
Thats simply asstastic, to steal a phrase :)
And to boot, thats a BEST case senario....

Now if you had said "If you are a hardcore IQ freak, and IQ is life for you buying and LCD......."
Then i'd agree. but for framerate? Nahhhhh. give it a few more years.

Typedef Enum said:
I'll see if I can get some numbers when I get home tonight...But I can tell you from 1st hand experience that I have yet to play a single game that's "too much" for Surround Gaming...

Matrox has done a pretty darn good job with their drivers thus far...of course, there isn't a single website out there that has made note of this fact either.

Bottomline: show me UT2003 on DM-Antalus playing at 60+ fps and not dropping below 40 fps with at least 5 people on the screen jumping around firing rockets, flak etc. Once you drop below 40 fps you can really feel the game get really sluggish and start chopping. (I'm not going to argue about this either...if you don't believe that people can see over 24 fps please just keep quiet. ;))

Also don't run in a resolution below 800*600*3 because once you get down into 640*480, that's so hideous as to detract too much, regardless of whether you play on 1 monitor or 100. I have serious doubts that the Parhelia will run up to par at 800*600*3 on Antalus during heavy action, let alone at triple 1024. And that's with on aniso or AA or any other unnecessary features. If it does, then great, but I just really doubt it.

I have no doubt it will play fine in Asbestos, but that's hardly the worst case scenario.

muted said:
you're basing your opinions on the anandtech ut2k3 test he had with an early build and early parhelia drivers, the latest parhelia drivers have increased the perfomances by at least 10% if not more , and the S.G hit is by far less than 3x

a 8500 doesn't compared to a parhelia , with the latest drivers, it's easy to compared the parhelia to a gf4 ti4600 ..

and 800x600 is not that ugly , once you turn FAA 16x on ..

The Anandtech test is sheer BS by the way. You never get anywhere close to those numbers in actual play.

BRiT said:
I'd <b>love</b> to have surround-gaming going, but for the fluidity I'd desire, I will have to wait for the Matrox refresh-part. Perhaps a 0.13 micron part running at 375Mhz. Though I doubt Matrox will have a refresh part out within 9 months. :(

Maybe ATI-Nvidia will include that feature for their spring refresh parts. I can dream...

--|BRiT|

you gonna hate me, but...
I have a good reason to hope something a way before next summer... And, next summer / autumn they hopefully follow their tradition by releasing a new product...

so 1+1 makes... ;)
They haven't given up. I said they have fancy roadmap...

Back