Pachter: Apple 2013 Console

That thing makes the iPhone look like a first-gen Atari Lynx.
The comparison is pretty apt on the surface, however, the Lynx had a really TINY screen. As in, surprisingly small compared to the overall size of the console, bordering on stamp-like. Also, the thing was mirrored with twin sets of action buttons in order to be flippable for left/right-handedness, as you may recall. Of course, if you flipped it, the text and logos on the front was all upside down, and it had no accelerometer (a few decades too early for that), so you had to press two buttons to flip the screen... Heh, those were the days!

And yeah, Lynx's internal volume was ~50% batteries, and it still lasted only a few hours. :)

Comparatively small maybe, but it was actually pretty close in size to Apple's pre-5 screens. And a few hours of high end gaming wasn't that bad - a 3D game on the iPhone can drain your battery in a few hours too iirc - and then you lose your GPS/Phone/internet device. ;)

Still, pretty happy with my iOS devices ;) Better Ears is a nice app by the way if you are into making music, just discovered it.

That's just AirPlay audio. I'm referring to AirPlay mirroring. Apple haven't open up access to that protocol yet.

I'm going through WWDC videos this evening. There's of course no mention of any hardware, but what amazes me is Xcode 6. Amazing integrated capabilities. It looks very simple to author and debug an integrated 2D, 3D, resizable UI + cloud apps for iOS _and_ OS X; all in one with live feedback -- like working inside an interpretive language even though there are shaders, Objective C, and Swift mixed together.

I'm going through WWDC videos this evening. There's of course no mention of any hardware, but what amazes me is Xcode 6. .
No hardware announced but if you look rough the APIs for managing the screen, you can see there is either a bigger iPhone, or a smaller iPad, coming. I know what my money is on. :)

I just watched the first 2 Metal videos. Very interesting stuff, similar to PS4 command queues, but different memory architecture.

Very deep and friendly dev tool. I wonder how the dev tool compares with the PS4 one.

Is PS4 using llvm-gcc ?

No hardware announced but if you look rough the APIs for managing the screen, you can see there is either a bigger iPhone, or a smaller iPad, coming. I know what my money is on. :)

They will also need to deal with different screen sizes for CarPlay, HDTV (via AppleTV) and iWearables.

It looks like the Storyboard mechanism has been expanded to deal with assorted devices and use cases. It even extends to OSX, say for standalone apps to handle Continuity.

Back