Overclock the n64?

Well for the same reason someone cant bring F Zero X as an example that the PS1 cant do a similar thing.

And no one did. This all started with a negative comparison of FZX's graphics to those of PS1 racers. I simply said "Good luck finding a 60fps racer on PS1 with 30 cars on screen" to point out that the criticism isn't apt, as no similar racer existed on the Playstation. In other words, if you want to criticize FZX as not comparing well to PS1, find a comparable game on PS1. You responded by bringing up a racer that does not have 30 vehicles on screen and isn't even consistently 60 fps...so as far as I can tell, you jumped in with a non-sequiter that failed to make any kind of point, and the conversation consequently degenerated into you trying to make it relevant by imagining what would have happened if the programmers had made it a different game instead. If you're going to make a point, make it, but that means following the discussion more carefully.

I dont come in here to quarrel, thank you. I try to be civil with everyone regardless of who that is (and if I did offend anyone in the past thats history now) and I dont like turning things around with selective quoting in the way you did only because you make assumptions about the other person's intentions and points he is trying to make. I find your reply insulting

For that reason I will abandon this discussion although I can make my "intentions/points" clearer and show that your initial point is just as "baseless" as mine.

This is just subjective, but to my eyes 30fps 480i and 480p don't look very different.
60fps 480p and 480i look hugely different though, huge difference in detail.

I'd imagine the same thing would hold for higher resolutions as well, but I don't have a good display to compare on, still using a HD crt.

That sounds like what you'd expect.

UltraHLE isn't so much an emulator as it is a simulator. It doesn't really emulate the graphics chip at all.

Here's some stuff about proper N64 emulation you might find interesting http://moogle-tech.com/blog/?p=37
It's about time the emu devs got serious about properly emulating N64. The buggy HLE stuff needs to go mostly away already. The problem is that he is determined to have accuracy that will probably make it unplayable without a serious multithreading effort and powerful CPUs.

I like playing the games on the real thing the most anyway. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you really get proper N64 emulation? It seems only one has been able to do it and thats Nintendo b/c they have doc.'s ppl in the emulation world dont have. How long did it take for them to get proper emu. for SNES, NES, PS1, and wo ever else if it has been done b/c I have had problems even with them even though ppl say they are great there not perfect

It wouldn't be an advantage, since PS1 games would get the same benefit.

Uh, the PS1 did not have a Z-Buffer. AF doesn't work with it.

Also, most PS1 and n64 emus emulate slowdowns. In some rare cases it doesn't work(IIRC, pSX doesn't slowdown when the Max Life Up is generated after you kill a boss in Castlevania: SOTN), but for the most part they get that right.

well the ps1 didnt have a z-buffer on hardware but there was a game that put it on software. I dont remember the game at this time other than it sucked big time. It had a name like Captain Zebo or something it came out around the time phil hartman died, he was the voice of the main char. in the game

Blasto?

I have an issue of Next Generation mag that front covers an interview about this game and it's supposedly amazing effects. I think the game sucked in the end though, from some reviews of it I've read. Never played it myself.

Blasto that was it I have the same next gen mag laying around somewhere that talks about how they was able to get z-buffer in the game being on software though and the game did suck I rented when it came out.

Back