Online computer hardware stores in the UK

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
If you are in Watford though, there are a few places to check out:

- PC World as above, less than 10 minutes walk south from the train station, in the smaller retail park where the Artworld and Comet is.

- Computer Exchange and Maplins (opposite Pizza Express at the bottom of the High Street near the main entrance of the Harlequin shopping centre)

- the camera shop up at the top of the high street near the camping store by the big square pond also sells computer stuff.

- There's a small store about opposite the Burger King (the one outside in the high street, not the one in the shopping centre) that sells hardware. They have a lot of exotic cases in racks, though I don't know what they are like in there.
Ah, so you meant the High Street station, not Junction. I've been to that retail park twice, but only to Comet, Currys and a furniture store. PC world didn't look all that inviting to me.

On a side note, both times I went there (for a DECT phone and a DVD player) I found a better offer at Tesco.

I remember seeing a nice and reasonably priced collection of KVM switches at Maplin which surprised me a bit, though their graphics cards choice was very limited :D
Not sure about Computer Exchange, but there's a shop right next to Maplin where I bought some cheap second hand DVDs. I don't think I know the others you mentioned.

Xmas said:
Ah, so you meant the High Street station, not Junction. I've been to that retail park twice, but only to Comet, Currys and a furniture store. PC world didn't look all that inviting to me.
It's the same as every other PC World - high prices and clueless staff, but if you want a cable for £5 and not pay the same again in postage from an etailer, they are handy. Generally if you want something unusual or something costing more than £20, online will be cheaper and have a better selection.

Xmas said:
On a side note, both times I went there (for a DECT phone and a DVD player) I found a better offer at Tesco.
That's because the Tescos behemoth has to undercut everyone in the area, and IIRC, that is one of their extra massive "Death Star" class of store. It even has a Krispy Kreme concession inside it.

Xmas said:
I remember seeing a nice and reasonably priced collection of KVM switches at Maplin which surprised me a bit, though their graphics cards choice was very limited :D
Not sure about Computer Exchange, but there's a shop right next to Maplin where I bought some cheap second hand DVDs. I don't think I know the others you mentioned.
CEX is next to Maplins, so that's probably where you got the DVDs.

Maplins also have a massive catalogue and an online website you can order from. IIRC, if you're in one of their stores and they don't have something in stock they will send it to you for free. They are a bit of a strange store, but they sell all kind of weird electronics and components you can't find elsewhere.

If you like Italian food, I can recommend that Italian resturant just north of the small bridge over the high street, a few shops up from the small MacDonalds (not the one with the giant wasp sculpture, the other one). It's a bit noisy when it's busy, but the food is great. It's the one with the murals on the walls and the big glass front they open up when it gets hot.

The Jongleurs comedy club is upstairs of one of these theme pubs a bit further down. That's good for a laugh.

The two Game stores are expensive, and the Gamestation isn't a whole lot better - stick to play.com for games and DVDs unless you want secondhand/tradein stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
It's the same as every other PC World - high prices and clueless staff, but if you want a cable for £5 and not pay the same again in postage from an etailer, they are handy. Generally if you want something unusual or something costing more than £20, online will be cheaper and have a better selection.
One thing we found is that their online prices may be lower than the price shown in the shops. However, you can reserve a product in the shop at the online price.
That's because the Tescos behemoth has to undercut everyone in the area, and IIRC, that is one of their extra massive "Death Star" class of store. It even has a Krispy Kreme concession inside it.
Surely you meant to say "sadly it even has a...." :)

Simon F said:
One thing we found is that their online prices may be lower than the price shown in the shops. However, you can reserve a product in the shop at the online price.

My father-in-law did that a couple of months back, and then had to argue with them when they tried to palm him off with the OEM version when he had specifically bought the retail version. Even then, their online prices are ususally more expensive than other e-tailers. It's the Dixons group way of leveraging their stores to try and compete with other etailers who give a better online expererience.

It's good if you want the comfort/hassle of going to a bricks and mortar store, but you can still get something better for less money delivered straight to your door if you use someone else online.

Simon F said:
Surely you meant to say "sadly it even has a...." :)

I don't even think their donuts or their fillings taste that good, but they will offer you a freebie if you stand around looking unsure. It's like drug dealers offering you your first taste. They are terribly unhealthy, giving with one donut giving you all your daily intake of fat, sugar, and half your carbs (shudder).

There is usually a bloke with a cart at the top of the shopping centre that does fresh hot ring donuts (proper batter ones) that are much nicer.

www.dabs.com :
IMO are very good most of the time I buy stuff from them its sent Royal Mail Next Day, plus you get a good indication of their stock levels. As someone else has said everything is web-based so don't expect to speak to anyone. Their service is quite good and their response times to my queries are about 1 day. They even gave me a full refund on my Asus motherboard (which failed on me and was over 2 years old.)

www.overclockers.co.uk :
Great site for finding out info and pictures of components, their delivery times to me have been a bit variable compared to Dabs.com. Service has otherwise been ok. One thing to note is that I returned my motherboard as it had developed a fault (after 30 days) and was given a used/b-grade one as a replacement.

www.overclock.co.uk :
Only bought one thing from them, but service seems ok. Prices aren't the cheapest but are quite comparable one you factor in that fact they do allow you to collect what you've bought (they're based in Slough), saving you the cost and time of delivery.

Back