OMG Half Life Gluon gun is real

hupfinsgack said:
london-boy said:
Weak nuclear is the one keeping together the atoms' nucleus, the strong nuclear force is the one keeping together quarks which form the protons and neutrons themselves.
I'm quite rusty on this, so someone else might be able to explain it better.

Actually that's pretty wrong...

Hey i did say i'm rusty :LOL:

Neeyik said:
DiGuru said:
Strangely enough, gravity is the least understood of the forces, especially because it has a reach that makes messenger particles improbable
It's reach is no more and no less than the electromagnetic interaction; the exchange boson in that instance is a photon so purely on the basis of range, gravity can still have a messenger.

That depends: electromagnetic force clearly generates particles that interact individually and have the means to transfer the force. It has no immediate "blanket effect".

and generates strange paradoxes when coupled to the speed of light.
What paradoxes? What do you mean by "coupled to the speed of light"?

Gravity is an instant (although that is debatable) force, that acts on everything around it. And unlike the other forces, you can create an essentially unlimited amount of it by literally just stacking more stuff together. So there is a problem if you want all affected masses to be acted upon by the partices needed, especially because the volume and the outer surface of those masses have no lineair relation.

The paradoxes are the "localized" ones, the variants of the EPR paradox, although that would depend on gravity being instant and omnidirectional versus using messenger particles.

Edit: typo, unidirectional -> omnidirectional.

There is experimental evidence to suggest that gravity is not instantaneous, although as you correctly point out that it's all debatable. However, surely the same argument you're using against gravity can be applied to charge and photons?

DiGuru said:
Neeyik said:
DiGuru said:
Strangely enough, gravity is the least understood of the forces, especially because it has a reach that makes messenger particles improbable
It's reach is no more and no less than the electromagnetic interaction; the exchange boson in that instance is a photon so purely on the basis of range, gravity can still have a messenger.

That depends: electromagnetic force clearly generates particles that interact individually and have the means to transfer the force. It has no immediate "blanket effect".

and generates strange paradoxes when coupled to the speed of light.
What paradoxes? What do you mean by "coupled to the speed of light"?

Gravity is an instant (although that is debatable) force, that acts on everything around it. And unlike the other forces, you can create an essentially unlimited amount of it by literally just stacking more stuff together. So there is a problem if you want all affected masses to be acted upon by the partices needed, especially because the volume and the outer surface of those masses have no lineair relation.

The paradoxes are the "localized" ones, the variants of the EPR paradox, although that would depend on gravity being instant and omnidirectional versus using messenger particles.

Edit: typo, unidirectional -> omnidirectional.

I'm pretty sure i've heard or read that Gravity has been proven NOT to be instantaneous, instead it has the same speed (or less) of light.
Nothing travels faster than light, not even gravity.

Neeyik said:
There is experimental evidence to suggest that gravity is not instantaneous, although as you correctly point out that it's all debatable. However, surely the same argument you're using against gravity can be applied to charge and photons?

Yes, but there are clear differences between how the interactions can be applied. With gravity, there is just no direct relation. I'm sure you agree, that I'm not the only one that is totally baffled by the problems you get when you try to extrapolate gravity based on the other known forces. There are just too many things that won't fit, let alone the standard model and/or quantum mechanics.

london-boy said:

Some things might, as experiments show as well.

But any way you look at it, there are some very nasty problems that can only be solved by declaring time to be quantified and doing some unspecified "bookkeeping" in between the "frames".

For most things, relativity and quantum mechanics offer a nice explanation, there is just no way you can combine them. First and foremost because there is no working particle model of gravity.

DiGuru said:
london-boy said:

Some things might, as experiments show as well.

But any way you look at it, there are some very nasty problems that can only be solved by declaring time to be quantified and doing some unspecified "bookkeeping" in between the "frames".

For most things, relativity and quantum mechanics offer a nice explanation, there is just no way you can combine them. First and foremost because there is no working particle model of gravity.

But the things that "travel faster than light" don't actually "travel faster than light". Space might warp and create situations where something gets somewhere faster than light could on it own, but that's cheating. ;)

london-boy said:
But the things that "travel faster than light" don't actually "travel faster than light". Space might warp and create situations where something gets somewhere faster than light could on it own, but that's cheating. ;)

Yes, that's a large part of it. Einstein would totally agree with that. ;)

But there is some more information about states, spin and such as well, that seems to be known before it possibly could. Which would fit in with the way gravity seems to work. Hence the "unspecified bookkeeping".

Btw, some of the most glaring problems could be solved by postulating a class of undetectable particles that have an upper speed limit that is much higher than the speed of light. But even while I'm not sure that could solve all the main problems, that would be just about as controversial as the alleged bookkeeping, and the probability (not evidence, that would be almost impossible) of time being quantified is MUCH larger.

There isn't even really that much resistance against quantified time and all the things that would imply nowadays, with the advent of movies and computers and such, but for the "sacrilegious" aspect: who or what would be behind the scenes and how in heaven or hell could we ever get a glimpse of it?

And even so: would that be God, or would all we are and know be just some kind of computer simulation? No, that would be unacceptable. We surely are very real and important, aren't we?

;)

DiGuru said:
Btw, some of the most glaring problems could be solved by postulating a class of undetectable particles that have an upper speed limit that is much higher than the speed of light. But even while I'm not sure that could solve all the main problems, that would be just about as controversial as the alleged bookkeeping, and the probability (not evidence, that would be almost impossible) of time being quantified is MUCH larger.

That's pretty 1960ies aka pretty old. Most scientist have abandoned that theory. They're called tachyons (yes Star Trek, i know). They have more or less been ruled out via Tschrenkov radiation.

As for what makes quantum gravitation so goddamn difficult: IT's the metric (more or less the geometry of the space) as it depends on the the gravitational interaction itself. That's also why the graviton is the only interacting boson that's spin 2...

hupfinsgack said:
They have more or less been ruled out via Tschrenkov radiation.
You mean Cherenkov and as far as I'm aware this doesn't discount the possibility of object existing beyond the speed of light in a vacuum; as this only applies to charged particles. Tachyons could be very weakly interacting, non-mass particles but I think the main problem with them is the way they bugger up the lack of absolute reference frames in special relativity.

Neeyik said:
hupfinsgack said:
They have more or less been ruled out via Tschrenkov radiation.
You mean Cherenkov and as far as I'm aware this doesn't discount the possibility of object existing beyond the speed of light in a vacuum; as this only applies to charged particles. Tachyons could be very weakly interacting, non-mass particles but I think the main problem with them is the way they bugger up the lack of absolute reference frames in special relativity.

That's why I said more or less...

String theory more or less predicts Tachyons, so they are not really ruled out at all.

The thing is that in the very particular circumstance where they are produced (vacuum instability in string theory) the causal structure can be reinterpreted in a nice way where you don't get some bizarre time machine or something of that nature. You can look up Sen Tachyon condensation to get more information if you are interested.

Anyway the problem with gravity is that it knows too much. It knows and feels all energy around it (weak, nuclear, EM), but worse it actually seems to know about itself. This isn't really unusual per se, every force has self energy diagrams that contribute to their quantum amplitudes. The problem here is that the actual way which we measure that amplitude (in meters, yardsticks and seconds) by its very nature changes the actual diagram that it itself induces. So you kinda have to stick a recursion relation on the whole enterprise (socalled back reactions on the metric). The series doesn't terminate in any nice way, and instead outputs infinity.

This is the fundamental problem with gravity (amongst several others), and has never truly been understood by any quantum theory of gravity. It has resisted years of research, and even the greatest minds (like Einstein) have hit brickwalls struggling with it.

No.

A quark-gluon plasma is not the same as the gluon-gun. It doesn't destroy everything it touches, it can't be used in that way. It's like saying "Hydrogen combusts, so scientists can make this thing called water with hydrogen in it, it should be really good at exploding!"

Sorry, doesn't work like that.

I once discovered the theory of everything, most enjoyable time of my life, the happiest ive ever been. unfortunately i'd forget it by the time the lsd had wore off

ps: Peter Higgs Rocks
he has never sent an email, browsed the internet or even made a mobile phone call, He has never been tempted to buy a television, but was persuaded to watch The Big Bang Theory last year, and said he wasn't impressed.

Back