Older drivers save money by playing computer games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Unknown Soldier, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

I thought this was very cool. :)

News Source: http://www.dailytech.com/Allstate+P...s+Discount+for+Playing+Games/article13108.htm

2. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

eh, why not put them in a DRIVING game? you know, to enhance DRIVING skills like accident avoidance...

3. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

it sounds like it's about training vision and reflexes. quake 3 for instance teaches these skills better than a racing game or driving simulator I believe.

4. Davros

Legend

but quake 3 doesnt teach you to use your feet and hands in a co ordinated manner

5. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

And clicking on fish does?

6. Davros

Legend

you have driving games where you click on fish ?

7. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

At least read the quote in the first post of this thread...

8. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

nor does a car with an automatic gearbox and a speed regulator :)

9. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Steering + braking/gas (depending on situation) certainly qualifies as "co-ordinated movement of the feet and hands", I'd say.

10. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

While Quake 3 does teach you INCREDIBLE reflexes and perception, i dont think Q3 would be better at teaching people to drive than a driving simulator.

A semi-realistic racing game like GT or Forza or GTR doesn't really teach you anything that is needed on the roads, all you learn is how to take corner properly.. If anything it just makes you drive faster on the roads, and we dont really need old people driving fast on the highway.

The skills you need to be good in a racing simulator is far different from what you need on the road, on the road you really just have to watch out for the trafic laws and where other cars \ pedestrians are, its going so slow that you dont need to know how to properly take a corner.

99,99% of the people who drives a car every day does not know you should take a corner properly, simply because you never need that on the road unless you drive like a maniac. On the road, you just have to stay within your line and watch out, on the racing course, taking corners properly is really the only thing that matters.

(Q3 is amazing, it learned me the optimal way to aim in fps games, and it learned me to do it at the maximum sensitivy avaliable, i have become very very good at fps games without really playing them to much, it doesn't matter what game it is either as long as its an shooter i allways finish top 3 (usually i finish first), CQC i havent really met a player that manages to consistently beat me by a significant margin. (Then again i probably havent meet the best players, and now i only play with consoles, and match making usually seems to put me up against morons) . I give credit that credit to Q3, as all the games really just comes down to being able to aim good and FAST while moving, and Q3 railgun only is the best way to learn that )

#10 Cheezdoodles, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2008
  11. KimB

Legend

It wouldn't have been nearly as interesting, however, if the games were driving games. They were trying to show that it's not the content of the game itself per se, but rather the general act of relating motions on the screen to motions of the mouse that improves driving ability.