Old games that still look good today

yes so i would i, being involved in creating something like it would be a cool sort of homage.
they did release a version of an old stamper game on XBL,
jetpack refuelled
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73956

Yeah, played the demo for Jetpac Refuelled. A bit too old-hat for my liking - too simple a game to bother with an update. If they updated the Filmation games with a touch of colour and maybe some increased res, that'd be nice.

Turok 2 with the expansion pack still holds up extremely well for a N64 game.

158_2_full.jpg

Wow those are some sharp textures for an N64.

Turok 2 runs like crap in hi-res mode. A single enemy on the screen shooting at you can cause the framerate to die, and the worst thing is that dropped frames cause lags in the control, making it impossible to aim and dodge. It runs acceptably in low-res and is still one of the better-looking N64 games.

Rogue Squadron for N64. I still play it to this day, if only because of the missions (and the pacing, something which was lost in Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike). Also, Beetle Adventure Racing.

For something older than 64/32-bit, Magician Lord for Neo Geo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monkey Island 3 still looks good to me. Except the non-AA fonts and low quality cutscenes...

Most cartoon (2D) based games will still look good over time.

Monkey Island 3 still looks good to me. Except the non-AA fonts and low quality cutscenes...

Most cartoon (2D) based games will still look good over time.
Yea I popped in The Dig a few days ago and me and my friend were ooo'ing and aaaa'ing at the cartoon visuals. The animation was so fluid.

Undying
Unreal Tournament
AVP2
NOLF2
many N64 games..

Edit:which PS1 games are worth still downloading to play on PS3? I'm looking for some old school games to play. I've done all the N64 games I can find from Wii VC.

Castlevania: Symphony of The Night. It's out on XBL, PSN and PSP.

In the older catagory:

Alternate Reality (Atari 8-bit version)
alternate_reality.png

On the PC
UT99
Red Alert 2
Wing Commander IV & V with upgraded DVD quality cutscenes

Turok 2 runs like crap in hi-res mode. A single enemy on the screen shooting at you can cause the framerate to die, and the worst thing is that dropped frames cause lags in the control, making it impossible to aim and dodge. It runs acceptably in low-res and is still one of the better-looking N64 games.

Whenever I run it in High Res Letterboxed mode the framerate is really smooth... For a N64 game anyways.

Oh, and it's not using an "unofficial high res texture pack".

Whenever I run it in High Res Letterboxed mode the framerate is really smooth... For a N64 game anyways.

Oh, and it's not using an "unofficial high res texture pack".
Heh, I think you're just seeing it through fan-love goggles 'Turok'. Even the developers acknowledged the framerate problems and as a result the 3rd game was toned down.

Of course the game had framerate troubles. It was shipped during its beta stage after all. All im saying is that the framerate isnt too shabby when running in high res letterbox mode.

carmageddon 2 is still very playable
ufo enemy unknown (as well as being the best game ever made!!)
super smash bro's has held up quite well
red alert / c&c

my brain in broken right now, cant think of much more

Castlevania: Symphony of The Night. It's out on XBL, PSN and PSP.

Downloaded it. It's funny you forget sometimes how unforgiving these old games were in terms of game saves. :devilish: for having to go back and play an entire area complete with cutscenes after doing ONCE.

Forsaken from N64. Nice particle effects and lighting, I like the rotations and the gameplay with the analog stick. I would have liked a second part, using the 4mb expansion. All Iguana games was great in graphic terms. Probe games too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunstar Heroes
Gunstar-heroes-wii-Virtual-Console-04.jpg

Defender of the Crown
amiga_defender_of_the_crown_1986.png

Batman Returns Sega CD
batman_returns.jpg

WonderDog Sega CD
wonder_dog.png

Clockwork KNight-
clockwork_knight_2.jpg

Astal -