Official MS E3 press conference thread

Content is king, MS delivered. Right off the bat with 3-4 actual GAMEPLAY play through of BIG games coming out this year.

Still lots of stuff still awol. Looking for Forza 3, Allan Wake, Halo Chronicles, All Points Bulletin, Splinter Cell Conviction, etc.

The first of the major console manufacturers to hold their press conference at this years E3 gaming conference, Microsoft took to the stage yesterday to deliver several significant announcements for the XBox 360.

Read the full news item

I didn't get to see Nintendo's conf due to a meeting but did read up on it. For my tastes, MS walked away with this conf. FF13 they have a lot of stuff coming during 2008. The dash overhaul, Xbox Live features, Netflix and ofcourse a LOT of damn really really good games.

Still lots of stuff still awol. Looking for Forza 3, Alan Wake, Halo Chronicles, All Points Bulletin, Splinter Cell Conviction, etc.

Given the delays or early development, I would expect these particular titles at next year's E3 if not Tokyo Game Show.

There is still Bungie's countdown timer coming in less than 18 hours though.

What I find peculiar is that the splash page redirects to Halo's online page ergo I'm thinking it's just something new for Halo 3 online.

In Bungie's most recent podcast they said, "As a reader, I can only imagine just how frustrating it is to not have any new information just yet. Rest assured, dear vengeful, hypertense reader many things are in motion. Many things. These numerous things include the following:

* Major changes to the Halo 3 Online experience
* Sweet Announcements
* Poignant Clarifications
* Certain-point-of-view Truths
* Things you will love
* Things you will argue about
* Things you will make angry videos about"

So I think its safe to say that something regarding Halo 3 is about to change.

Nobody is curious about the third still secret Rare game?
I think it has been delayed to 2009, but I would have love have some hint :)

Content is king, MS delivered. Right off the bat with 3-4 actual GAMEPLAY play through of BIG games coming out this year.

So all the other stuff that is due in Nov/Dec gets a pass and gameplay (half was multi-platform) is a auto-win? So if in theory if Sony had KZ2, Wipeout HD, LBP, Motorstorm PR, etc. taking up their time in gameplay form, they would win?

I think you move the goal post after you saw the presentations... ;)

This reminds me of presidential debates, everyone picks their guy as the winner.

I think you move the goal post after you saw the presentations... ;)

This reminds me of presidential debates, everyone picks their guy as the winner.

The topic pertains to the conference keynote... With your examples of what Sony could have showed, then yes, it would have been better for them. Please stop trying to derail the threads by calling out invisible fanboyism.

OK looks like I missed an episode and that the "third secret Rare's title thingy" has been debunked, well...
later is better than never :LOL:

Those are the only reasons you think? I don't buy that for a second. At the very least they'll want to go for full downloads of games. But I'm 100% sure this is done at least in part to alleviate disc-storage issues. And don't forget there are already a few mandatory HDD install games for the 360, aren't there?

I'm sure full downloads will be available at some stage, and I don't think that's a bad thing. But you've said this was to do with disc storage, and like I've already metioned in this thread, there are only two or three mandatory HDD install games on 360, one being an MMO, and the other being a football manager. This is hardly a floodgate, since they were both available at launch.

Like I said, you're flat-out wrong, Arwin. This does nothing to extend disc space issues. You've also done nothing to back up that arguement, so either support it, or drop it.

For context, I bet you can add up both the multiple disc games on 360 plus the mandatory install games for 360, and come up with a number that's smaller than PS3 games requiring a mandatory install. ;)

The two xbox360 japanese rpg's already came with multiple dvd's (Lost Odyssey (4 discs) and Blue Dragon (3 discs)) , Final Fantasies being heavy on FMV and long games with very diverse environments, I think it's safe to assume FFXIII won't fit on single DVD.
Of course multiple discs doesn't necessitate installing, I'm just assuming ;)
Anyway, FFVII being on four discs didin't really kill the experience for me in 1997, so maybe disc swapping in a linear rpg in 2010-2011 isn't that bad after all.

Again, disc swapping and mandatory installs aren't something that have ever been related on 360 in any way, shape or form. I see why may incorrectly make the connetion, but it is of course not there.

I also don't doubt FFXIII will be on many, many discs on 360 :p

Wow. New Dashboard is pretty damn impressive and informative. I wasn't expecting anything quite like that. It looks pretty clean.

It looks pretty polished. I am curious if it will be as snappy as it looked in the video in changing channels.

Netflix interface is pretty seamless. The XBOX Guide was much more informative and looked much better.

This is a great update to the dashboard.

I don't think it's that invisible.
That said MS conference was very good in terms of showing off new stuff, just not new "hardcore" games.
To be fair, MS was following up on their conference from last year (or was it another show?) where they spend a lot of time showing off games that had not appeared at a prior conference, and were pretty much all coming out this year. RE5 of course being the exception (on both counts :???:). That tactic gets you pumped for the next 6 months as you think 'wow, this will be a great year again!'

Sony's continuing tactic year after year tends to show more CG movies from games coming out in the distant future, or get shown year after year. Remember, Killzone 2 was initially shown at E3 2005, and pops up at conferences for show, but won't even be released until 4 years later. So to answer DrJay's question, I would personally prefer Sony to show the games they're planning on actually, you know, releasing this year... but they largely blew that load last year, or the year before, or the year before :p

I don't know if KZ2 will show up this year or not (just woke up!) but to criticise MS for showing something that I perceive to be more honest and truthful to gamers seems to me a little foolish in my eyes.

Thanks 22psi for the link!

Wow. New Dashboard is pretty damn impressive and informative. I wasn't expecting anything quite like that. It looks pretty clean.

It looks pretty polished. I am curious if it will be as snappy as it looked in the video in changing channels.

Netflix interface is pretty seamless. The XBOX Guide was much more informative and looked much better.

This is a great update to the dashboard.

I'm starting to like it. I really dig the new Xbox Guide. The whole interface screams Xbox540. :) Not a complete next generation feel, but a pretty substantial mid-life upgrade.

Hopefully we'll get more pics or videos showing off there plans for Gamerpics, Dashboard themes, Live Arcade and Community Games and what they plan to do with ads that you know are coming.

Tommy McClain

Back