Official M$ Press Release On Rare

Qroach:

> What's pathetic is the thought that this game looks worse then other GC
> titles.

It doesn't look worse than the worst looking Cube title but it certainly doesn't look as good as the best. Saying that the gfx are "Gamecube-quality" is simply ridiculous trolling.

> anyone that says the game looks worse now then it did on GC is simply
> being fanish. It's the same game.

Has Kameo changed at all from its original conception on GameCube?

Tim Stamper: It's changed since it was last seen, but it hasn't changed just because it's on Xbox. But all the core gameplay elements are definitely still there.
That's Tim Stamper calling you a moron.

> it certainly isn't looking any worse than starfox

Kameo_ss_24.jpg

starfoxad_091302_25.jpg

Sure it isn't...

> Don't think that I don't consider you to be a pom pom waver too.

Right, and you're the very personification of objectivity.

Get over yourself.

Johnny Awesome:

Way to contribute to this thread you sad twit.

Geeforcer:

> It was posted over and over and over again (and I see Teasy did it yet
> again here), as an unimpeachable proof that MS is not going to get any
> licenses out of this deal. The

There's been talk of problems with Nintendo over Banjo-Kazooie. What was that all about?

Ed Fries: That was one of the rumours floating around in the last month, that there was some kind of battle between Nintendo and Microsoft over this IP - it actually couldn't be further from the truth. Everything was very straightforward, what it [Nintendo] wanted and what we wanted, and it was sorted out in less than a day. There were many opportunities where Nintendo could have made this difficult, but it was great about it all the way through.
Nintendo clearly had claims on some of the properties but wasn't interested in them. Now go away.

It doesn't look worse than the worst looking Cube title but it certainly doesn't look as good as the best. Saying that the gfx are "Gamecube-quality" is simply ridiculous trolling.

Why don't you and you anti xbox crew WAIT until the game is finshed? Go, the game is in developement and they just got it running on Xbox. give them a little time, or do you think every game looks polished when it months away?

Quote:
Has Kameo changed at all from its original conception on GameCube?

Tim Stamper: It's changed since it was last seen, but it hasn't changed just because it's on Xbox. But all the core gameplay elements are definitely still there.

That's Tim Stamper calling you a moron.

Whatever cyber. That's tim stamper confirming what I was saying earlier. Did you even notice the part where he says it "hasn't" changed just because it's on Xbox?

Qroach:

> Why do you and you anti xbox crew WAIT until the game is finshed?
> hmmm?

Why should we wait? According to you it looks as good as SFA now.

> Go, the game is in developement and they just got it running on Xbox.

I'm not saying Rare can't do better on Xbox. I'm questioning if they can work fast enough to make it look better by spring 2003.

> or do you think every game looks polished when it months away?

I'm not the one saying it looks as good as SFA.

> Did you even notice the part where he says it "hasn't" changed just
> because it's on Xbox?

Did you notice the part where he said it has been changed since it was last shown?

cybamerc, maybe you should relax with all the name-calling. That's just not warranted here.

Teasy said:
Ozy

You couldn't have picked a worse, more poorly done pic of SMS then that, look at the brightness of the pic. Although yeah overall the textures in SMS aren't too good, but that's Mario for you.

That's not far removed from how the game looks on my HDTV in progressive-scan. It doesn't look quite that bad, I grant you that, but the texturing really IS that awful :-?

Ozymandis:

> cybamerc, maybe you should relax with all the name-calling.

I will once you and your anti Cube crew stop trolling.

> It doesn't look quite that bad, I grant you that, but the texturing really
> IS that awful

Er... no. Lots of detail is missing because of the poor capturing. Granted... the textures are far from hi-res but in general they fit the visual style of the game well.

cybamerc said:
Ozymandis:

> cybamerc, maybe you should relax with all the name-calling.

I will once you and your anti Cube crew stop trolling.

> It doesn't look quite that bad, I grant you that, but the texturing really
> IS that awful

Er... no. Lots of detail is missing because of the poor capturing. Granted... the textures are far from hi-res but in general they fit the visual style of the game well.

Trolling? Hardly. I give my opinion and I stand behind it in my next posts. I don't consider that trolling. I don't see too much trolling going on here at all, but I DO see you flying off the cuff and insulting other posters :(

And you don't need to tell me how Super Mario Sunshine looks. I've played it at home, and seen 4 of the worlds. The game looks pretty bad. I agree that it's not quite as bad as in the capture (which BTW is Nintendo's own) but it's pretty assy-looking. Especially the textures, excepting the water which does look good.

Ozymandis:

> I give my opinion and I stand behind it in my next posts.

It's a ridiculous opinion expressed in an inflammatory way.

> The game looks pretty bad.

Compared to what? As you point out the water looks excellent, you have some truly awesome DOF and motion blur, great particle effects, the goo and paint, projected shadows everywhere (not particularly advanced but still more than you see in most games) cool little touches such as reflections in puddles and windows with moving textures to simulate depth. The draw distance is also pretty damn nice... the fact that you can see other levels miles away is just plain cool.

Don't get me wrong. SMS is neither the best looking nor the most technically advanced game EVAR but saying the game looks bad is just dumb.

My $.02

Mario looks dated. The water is incredible, DoF is actually a bit annoying, nothing else is impressive on the tech/graphics front. Even their art design was a bit off on this one, there is no binding theme in the architecture despite the entire game being played on one island. Mario was a but underwhelming for a current title and a serious let down for a Mario title(which have always pushed the envelope even in the gfx department). It's still hands down the best platformer ever released, just not much worth talking about on the gfx front.

Kameo doesn't look very good on the visual end right now. It certainly doesn't stand up to SFA in any way, not even the artistry seems to be all the way there yet. It is currently my most highly anticipated XBox title(knocking off KOTOR which is saying a lot from me ;) ), and I have full faith that Rare will deliver yet another great title as they have done time and time again. I expect it will surpass the visuals in both artistry(Kameo simply has a better theme to let artistic style shine) and technical basis by the time it ships. If that will actually be spring of '03..... I'm not holding my breath but certainly not because of MS's involvement. This is Rare we are talking about :)

BenSkywalker said:
My $.02

Mario looks dated. The water is incredible, DoF is actually a bit annoying, nothing else is impressive on the tech/graphics front. Even their art design was a bit off on this one, there is no binding theme in the architecture despite the entire game being played on one island. Mario was a but underwhelming for a current title and a serious let down for a Mario title(which have always pushed the envelope even in the gfx department). It's still hands down the best platformer ever released, just not much worth talking about on the gfx front.

That's about how I feel as well. I also felt that the depth-of-field and especially the heat wave effects were extremely annoying. Not as annoying as FLUDD's voice ( :devilish: ), but quite annoying.

Actually I pretty much prefer SM64 gameplay-wise too. I'm not too keen on the game's manual camera. Maybe I need more time to get used to it.

Goldni said:
I personally hate the 'kiddizing' of Kameo and Joanna Dark ( think XIII). That move puzzles me with the XB skewed to PC gamers who are into 'older' type games. I'm sure they are trying to 'pull' some Nintendo fans over to XB. But Rare will be fine as will MS (everywhere but Japan).
EDIT: I can truly say that I'll miss Conker and Banjo the most. The rest MS can have (especially if they go the path the artwork shows). There again I'm interested in any new original games they may show. Also interested in who left and who stayed at Rare as a result of this. Can't wait to see any new Free Radicals this may have created.

what 'kiddizing'? i see the same kameo as it was on the GC a few years ago (E3 2001?)

maybe the main character's model has been changed though, i remember her being smaller (younger) in the past
i have to dig the E3 videos again

and the new PD look has been rumored since it was in development for GC as well

-aneep-

Ozymandis:

> I'm not too keen on the game's manual camera. Maybe I need more
> time to get used to it

It's been a while since I played SM64 but I remember the camera being pretty much the same as in SMS. Personally I like that you can control the camera and I find it rather natural too. What I don't like is the horrible camera AI that will make constant adjustments even after you have moved the camera into a position that you like. Because there is much more to do in SMS it becomes more of a problem than it did in SM64 - plus at the time it was really quite revolutionary.

Personally, I think a combination of a user controlled camera and director controlled camera (certain angles chosen especially for tricky places) would be ideal. They might as well dump the intelligent camera for platformers as we're not quite at the point where the computer can read ones mind.

aneep:

> i see the same kameo as it was on the GC a few years ago (E3 2001?)

The Kameo character design is pretty much the same except that she now has wings. Creature and level design has been changed a lot in general though.

Back