Official M$ Press Release On Rare

Confirmation from IGN XBox?.. hmmm.

Hmm, so what. Not to mention that cybermerc posted a link that confirmed it again. Who's your source for saying this "isn't" the case?

RareWare never owned those, we already know this.
They own them now and that's all that really matters. I could really careless about who once owned them and who didn't anymore. There was obviously some sort of conflict on this since we saw many things trademarked under differnt names.

I could be wrong on that yeah, its just the way it looked that's all.

It didn't look like that to me, but that's my take on it.

so we have nothing to argue about in this instance.

ok fine... i guess you weren't clear enough earlier. i thought you meant somthing else.

However all I was saying there is I will not just believe this info with nothing official, or even close, backing it up, certainly not some quote from Planet XBox. The IGN quote (al be it IGN XBox) has almost persuaded me that its true though.

Well, the quote from the heads of Rare should be enough to push you over the top. Convinced now?

I've changed that comment already BTW, so it doesn't look like I'm taking a swipe at you (you mustn't have seen the change before posting).

no i actually didn't.

I'm agreeing with him that Geforcer is only seeing what he wants to see with regard to what CaptainHowdy has said in the past. As in AFAIK CaptainHowdy did not say that MS would not get any of these licences, he only said that IF they get the licences they will have bought them from Nintendo and not gotten them simply because they bought RareWare. I didn't even say anything about MS not getting these licences in that comment.

Well I too remrmber what captainhowdy said. let's just say that i don't agree with you on this point and leave it at that.

BTW.. you seem to be failing to realise here that I did not see any IGN quotes before making the comment you just replied to. I do not have a time machine Quincy ok.

Ok, no time machine, well you must have though I had one when you tried to say that i was "wrong" in Rare going multiplatform when Activision was the lead company for the purchase. You couldn't seem to understand that the deal changed when they struck a deal with MS.

(I'm still not 100% convinced that MS got anything more then those 4 games) all the games that RareWare worked on.

You need to read the entire article cybermerc posted. If you're not convinced after that then nothing will help you.

Kameo looks good to me. I only read up on this game a couple of months ago, but the pic on the back of my Cube box looked pretty cool :p

We need more RPGs on Xbox, so when that game comes out, it'll help fill the void a little. I just hope they improve the Gamecube-quality visuals :oops:

Christ people...

:devilish:

Get a grip. I couldn't care less that Rare is MS owned now, and on XBox. Why? Because I'm getting a f*cking XBox for Christmas to go along with my Cube.

Geez people. Buy the consoles you want to play games on. Enough with this fanboy sh*t.... :rolleyes:

Hmm, so what. Not to mention that cybermerc posted a link that confirmed it again. Who's your source for saying this "isn't" the case?

Firstly, don't try to tell me that you would believe IGN Cube on something like this, because you most deffinately would not. Secondly, once again, I do not have a time machine. I did not see the comment Cybamerc was refering to until after the post you just replied too, is this so hard to grasp?

They own them now and that's all that really matters. I could really careless about who once owned them and who didn't anymore. There was obviously some sort of conflict on this since we saw many things trademarked under differnt names.

I really don't think your reading my comments very thoroughly at all, you just seem to want to argue. The point of that comment, the one you missed completely, was to cast doubt on the knowledge of the person that wrote that IGN quote. Not that it matters now, but it did at the time.

ok fine... i guess you weren't clear enough earlier. i thought you meant somthing else.

I was absolutely clear, evidently you simply do not read things thoroughly enough before replying.

Well, the quote from the heads of Rare should be enough to push you over the top. Convinced now?

Absoltely I do believe that MS acquired these licences from Nintendo:

Killer Instinct, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Battletoads, Blast Corps, Perfect Dark, Kameo

Ok, no time machine, well you must have though I had one when you tried to say that i was "wrong" in Rare going multiplatform when Activision was the lead company for the purchase. You couldn't seem to understand that the deal changed when they struck a deal with MS.

I said you posted about one Rare rumour on this forum a while ago, and no matter what anyone else's opinion was it was "going to happen", and it never happened. Wether it was going to happen and then fell appart, as you now say, or not is irrelivent, it still didn't happen did it. No time machine envolved there.

Ozy

We need more RPGs on Xbox, so when that game comes out, it'll help fill the void a little.

When do you think that will be though? Not before 2004 IMO.

I just hope they improve the Gamecube-quality visuals

What exactly is a GameCube visual? You mean you hope they improve the visuals, which aren't exactly great for PS2 never mind GameCube.

Teasy said:
Ozy

We need more RPGs on Xbox, so when that game comes out, it'll help fill the void a little.

When do you think that will be though? Not before 2004 IMO.

I just hope they improve the Gamecube-quality visuals

What exactly is a GameCube visual? You mean you hope they improve the visuals, which aren't exactly great for PS2 never mind GameCube.

Actually Kameo is announced by Microsoft as being in 2003. I think it will be released in the first six months of the year, probably towards May or June.

And by Gamecube-quality visuals I mean exactly that. Lots of flat-shading, high poly models but no bump-mapping, mediocre texturing, etc etc. Looks like the average Gamecube game.

Actually Kameo is announced by Microsoft as being in 2003. I think it will be released in the first six months of the year, probably towards May or June.

Kameo is scheduled for a fall 2003 release, now unless I'm wrong fall means around September right? So at earliest its looking like late 2003, don't you think it'll be delayed at least once given RareWare's past delays?

And by Gamecube-quality visuals I mean exactly that. Lots of flat-shading, high poly models but no bump-mapping, mediocre texturing, etc etc

So what console was Rogue Leader made on then?.. was it not GameCube? What about all the other great looking games on GameCube?, were they all infact made on XBox? This is typical of your usual blinkered Nintendo fan baiting. You really do have a nasty tendency to troll sometimes.

Kameo looks like a average to poor GameCube game, allot worse then RareWare's only finished GameCube game (SFA) and far worse then many other gameCube games.

Looks like the average Gamecube game

So the average looking XBox game has loads of bump mapping and great high res textures?.. get a grip man.

Ozymandis said:
And by Gamecube-quality visuals I mean exactly that. Lots of flat-shading, high poly models but no bump-mapping, mediocre texturing, etc etc. Looks like the average Gamecube game.

...sounds like PS2 to me. GCN's *STRONG POINT* is its texturing...

Tagrineth said:
Ozymandis said:

and PS2 *STRONG POINT* being poly thoughput.. (IMHO)
and i don't think you can see a lot a bump mapping on PS2.

Firstly, don't try to tell me that you would believe IGN Cube on something like this, because you most deffinately would not. Secondly, once again, I do not have a time machine.

If they reported it along with other websites, then yes. you seemed to jump to conclusions without really looking to be certain Imo.

I really don't think your reading my comments very thoroughly at all, you just seem to want to argue. The point of that comment, the one you missed completely, was to cast doubt on the knowledge of the person that wrote that IGN quote. Not that it matters now, but it did at the time.

i'm the one that seems to want to argue? hardly, your defending you postion with you now know is not correct. Why bother? unless all you wan tot do is argue. No, i'm reading your comments, i just wish you quit flip flopping all the time. Anyway, your "point" was total waste of time. You were trying to discredit the IGN article/quote by using a section of the article that didn't realy matter. That much was obvious to see.

I was absolutely clear, evidently you simply do not read things thoroughly enough before replying.

Riight. Whatever...

Absoltely I do believe that MS acquired these licences from Nintendo:

Good for you. It's about time ;)

I said you posted about one Rare rumour on this forum a while ago, and no matter what anyone else's opinion was it was "going to happen", and it never happened. Wether it was going to happen and then fell appart, as you now say, or not is irrelivent, it still didn't happen did it. No time machine envolved there.

When I said "it was going to happen", that was referring to Rare splitting off from Nintendo.

Teasy,

Kameo looks like a average to poor GameCube game, allot worse then RareWare's only finished GameCube game (SFA) and far worse then many other gameCube games.

Put your nintendo pom poms away for a while. :rolleyes: that comment is pathetic.

Magnum PI said:
Tagrineth said:
Ozymandis said:

and PS2 *STRONG POINT* being poly thoughput.. (IMHO)
and i don't think you can see a lot a bump mapping on PS2.

Precisely what I meant...

Ozy, whatcha talkin' bout anywho? :p

Isn't it amazing how people who were lavishly praising Rare a year ago when they were defending the GC have now completely changed their story? First it was that Nintendo would never let Rare go. In fact, they must not let them go! (why?) Later followed by, well, Rare sucked anyway and hasn't been making good games, so it's no big loss.

And remember the common GC story, about how Rare games don't look the best, but they are fun to play? Now the same "graphics aren't everything people" are bashing upcoming Rare titles for how they look.

I wonder how far back the search archives go in this forum. :)

If Factor 5 or Sega went MS exclusive, you'd see the same irrationalism "they sucked anyway, no big loss, etc"

Can't GC boys afford to buy more then one console? Most gamer friends I know own atleast 2 or 3, and usually more, like a DreamCast as well.

IMO

Kameo does look a bit underwhelming for an xbox game, and i think the GC version looks better at this point

i wonder how long they took to port that for the video?

but i like the new look of Joanna Dark :)

-aneep-

Tagrineth said:
Ozymandis said:

Gamecube's texturing is nice in theory. In practice, it hasn't produced too much of note. Rogue Leader has nice textures, and Eternal Darkness has *some* nice textures. Not sure about Star Fox, but I've heard good things there too. Overall though, Cube games haven't had the kind of texturing that I'd expect.

I've thought about this a bit. It might very well be that the art style of most of the exclusive games tends towards a very flat look. The console is definitely capable of doing some nice texturing. Look at the bumpmapped water in SMS and Pikmin, or the snow textures on Hoth in Rogue Leader. And then you see this kind of texturing in the actual games:

mariosunshine715_gcn_ss2.jpg

luigismansion_gcn_ss5.jpg

Is it possible that developers are just trying to cram all of the textures in the texture cache?

Jesus christ, even have many sites have confirmed (mostly via talking to the Stamper Bros themselves at X02) about the acquisition of the franchises there are STILL Nintendo fanboys running around stating that it doesn't make any sense since MS bought "Rareware" only (got a link to that, btw?), and "Rare Limited" owned the other franchises.

Reality check....

Either way, MS has them now. Get over it.

After getting deep into SFA and seeing most of Rare's next-gen technology in action, I can say a few things.

A. The fur-shading in those new Kameo shots = s**t compared to SFA's. Give them time. :)

B. The GCN is capable of more than SMS shows at 30fps, given what's possible in SFA at 60fps.

C. The texturing in the game is above-average but there's no detail-textures (a layman's term for those textures in Halo/Unreal that get ultra-detailed when you're close) With the exception of that, the game seems to reach Xbox-level visuals consistently.

D. Rare = t3h kickass. What they do with the GameCube in graphics and animation is stunning. Once again, I'll agree that Xbox is more powerful than GCN.. but games like SFA, Metroid, and Rogue Leader show that it's a minimal difference.

Hmm, maybe developers aren't utlizing the texture cache correctly and trashing it. Maybe it is simply art direction. Whatever it is, I wouldn't blame it on the hardware because I think it is obvious that it is capable of some nice texturing.

Anywho, Kameo looks nice, although I wouldn't say it looks any nicer than it did on GC. Given some time though, I am sure Rareware will come out with some very nice games on XBox.

*crosses fingers for a JFG sequel*

Yeah I'm really into SFA and it's textures really look as good as anything on Xbox or GC in some areas (the underworld powerup ones). But you can still see the N64 like textures in some areas too. The lighting is great as is the water. The shadows have been shaped up since the demo but still arent as nice and dynamic as Conker's.

The fur is the most impressive thing by far. This game realls is the first game to use fur shading. Crash really doesnt count. SFA fur was shown and announced way before Crash's and of course Rare being Rare delayed it 9 months. What's neat about the fur is the different kinds of fur. For example, Krystal's is nice and fluffy (fine). SFA and Peppy's is rougher looking. And the Mammoths fur looks different. The grass looks nice too. SFA really shows what the Gamecube can do. And it's really just the beginning. Overall SFA is a nice game. I'd say 8.9/10 as of now.

Blade said:
After getting deep into SFA and seeing most of Rare's next-gen technology in action, I can say a few things.

Most people know this but its worth repeating:

A good deal of the development, especially the closing development on SFA, was actually done by Nintendo engineers. Nintendo not only rescued the title (originally called Dinosaur planet) but they put a serious amount of money and GC know how into finishing that title off.

Without Nintendo's guiding hand who knows where rare will waunder off to now?

Back