Official E3 Sony Conference Thread 2010

Burger King games were not free. You had to pay $4 with a combo meal to get them and they were never released digitally. BTW, I mentioned what games MS offered for free earlier.
Alright, but were those free for silver members too? The only one I have of that list is Undertow, wasn't that because of some XBL outage a couple years back?

Alright, but were those free for silver members too? The only one I have of that list is Undertow, wasn't that because of some XBL outage a couple years back?

I don't think all of those were free for Silver members. Which ones? No idea, I've always have had a Gold account. However, I think you're right about Undertow being a freebie for the Live outage during Christmas. But again, the reason I brought that up was somebody disputed that Microsoft doesn't give away free games. They have and every one of them can still be played even if you don't pay for Live Gold.

Tommy McClain

I must confess that it is the first time in my life I do say this but

Playstation is loocking really good... and it is not a gfx comment, from Move to games, free basic network...

The only thing that could be better is a nicer price/bundle scheme for Move.

I noticed you were asking about Move compatibility in several threads.

Here's a GAF thread tracking Move games:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398419

Sports Champions™, September 2010
Eye Pet™, September 2010
Kung Fu Rider™, September 2010
Start the Party! ™, September 2010
echochrome™ 2 (PSN), September 2010
Tumble (PSN), September 2010
Hustle Kings, October 2010
PAIN (PSN), October 2010
TV Superstars™, October 2010
The Fight: Lights Out™, October 2010
The Shoot™, October 2010
High Velocity Bowling (PSN) October 2010
Heavy Rain®, October 2010
Sly Collection, November 2010
SingStar® Dance, November 2010
LittleBigPlanet™ 2, November 2010
Beat Sketcher (PSN), Fall 2010
SOCOM 4, Fall 2010
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11 (Electronic Arts), September 2010
Toy Story 3: The Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios), September 2010
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest (WB Games Inc.), September 2010
Brunswick Pro Bowling (Crave), September 2010
Resident Evil®5 Gold Edition (Capcom), September 2010
Time Crisis: Razing Storm (Bandai Namco), September 2010
NBA® 2K11 (2K Sports), October 2010
John Daly's ProStroke Golf (OG International), Fall 2010
Racquet Sports (Ubisoft), Fall 2010
R.U.S.E. (Ubisoft), September 2010
Kung Fu LIVE (Virtual Air Guitar Company), October 2010
Deadliest Catch: Sea of Chaos™ (Crave), November 2010
Disney Tron Evolution the Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios), November 2010

It only lists 2010 games. So games like KZ3 are not listed.

EDIT:
2011 list:

Sorcery™, 2011
Heroes on the Move, 2011
Killzone® 3, 2011

I don't think Sony care since they don't charge for online gaming.

FWIW, they allow NetFlix and other video streaming services to operate on PSN together with their own video stores.

I meant things like selling games, mini-games, DLC, etc. through Steam rather than PSN.

I'm sure Sony would love to have online gaming go through Steam's server rather than theirs, that would be less recurring costs and less infrastructure needed. Likewise if they could get demos and patches hosted through Steam's servers rather than their own.

What would be interesting is if Steam implemented cross game chat at some point and then made it work on PSN also.

But all this is premature speculation as I have seen anything concrete on just how much of Steam will make it to PSN.

Regards,
SB

I meant things like selling games, mini-games, DLC, etc. through Steam rather than PSN.

If these are PS3 games, then Sony will earn from the royalties.

If these are PC games, then Sony can earn a referer/affiliate fee (if negotiated)

EDIT:
According to the video interview, there are more details to be released. Sony sees Steamworks as a complementary service.

For PSN+ specific content, it's probably safer to assume they will generally disappear with the end of subscription unless stated otherwise (or unless you buy 'em).

OTOH, it is not inconceivable to have free (really free) items for PSN+ members only. It's cheaper than giving the entire PSN population free goods. :)

Yes, confirmed by Sony:

The free games each month are usable whilst your account is active - if you stop subbing and then re-sub the content is still usable.

Any other freebies (and discounted purchases) are free forever (inc. LBP for EU (instead of 3 extra months) on the 1 year sub).

All content is usable by all account holders.

You can use PSN cards to pay for PSN+ (so you can make a bit of a saving that way)

Has LOTR: Aragon's Quest been announced for Kinect? I find this an intersting title as WB were differentiating their content, with the 'kiddie' LOTR games on Wii and their gory mature games on PS360. Now as Move is directly compatible with Wii interfaces, a port of Wii titles, which should be dead easy if you preserve the same simple content, ports of Wii titles look like easy cash-ins, with the end result PS3 offers both the kiddie and mature experiences. That seems quite significant as a family gaming box.

Year 2010 should list Under Siege PSN game as well, so list may not be a complete.

It's definitely not. We learnt about Dead Space 2 having Dead Space: Extraction included as a bonus with Move support for instance.

Now as Move is directly compatible with Wii interfaces, a port of Wii titles, which should be dead easy if you preserve the same simple content, ports of Wii titles look like easy cash-ins, with the end result PS3 offers both the kiddie and mature experiences. That seems quite significant as a family gaming box.

Yes, that's what I thought too, particularly when we learnt that the SDK for Motion+ support, done not by Nintendo but a third party (AILive 2.0 or something), would be available for Move on the PS3 in pretty much identical form.

Further evidence that this same idea lives in the mind of publishers is a question in an earlier interview on this subject being answered with "we're not going to allow direct ports of Wii games - we strongly encourage publishers to add support for the additional features available on the PS3 platform, like additional content, support for the camera, trophies, etc." I think it's basically an extension of their current policy, that if you don't release a multi-platform title day-and-date on the PS3 with the other platforms, you need to add extra content.

Has there been any more specific news about PSN+, like which free PSN games, or map packs we'll get? This is supposed to start tomorrow right? I'd like to know if MAG's Interdiction map pack, which will also be available tomorrow, comes free with PSN+.

Now as Move is directly compatible with Wii interfaces, a port of Wii titles, which should be dead easy if you preserve the same simple content, ports of Wii titles look like easy cash-ins, with the end result PS3 offers both the kiddie and mature experiences. That seems quite significant as a family gaming box.
I agree, I just posted something quite similar in the Nintendo conf thread. If you own both Wii and PS3 (like I do), the value of the Wii going forward just plummeted. Any 3rd party game that makes good use of the Wii is immediately a candidate for a PS3 port now. With the Virtual Console as dry and dusty as it is, I'm now back to 1st party games justifying the system alone. Not to troll, but the you-know-which thought did cross my mind briefly.

In the opposite direction, the 3DS, thanks to its analog nub and ballin' new graphics capabilites is bound to absorb a lot of PSP cake.

3DS is the first Nintendo handheld or console to pique my interest since Game'N'Watch!

Didn't Nintendo make those? Or at least the originals? So you've come full circle from games in watches to games in handhelds, it only took you about 20 to 25 years or so!

Yes, though the chances of me actually getting a 3DS are extremely slim, whereas I had a few GnW, including the original DS clamshells.

Updated the first post with my live summary, for convenient reference.

EDIT: oh yeah, I may have missed some stuff here and there, I had some connection issues sometimes (I think too many people were watching)

E3 2010: John Daly's ProStroke Golf PS Move Preview:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1100750p1.html

Simple but good use of the light ball since golfers often look down their club (at the golf ball) and then at the Green.

As I stepped up to the mini tee box that was constructed for E3 purposes, I was told that I had to first calibrate the Move by aligning the club with a spot on the ground and tapping the trigger button the back. That essentially gave the Move a central point on the ground that it could use as a virtual ball. The size of that "ball" is changeable through the difficulty settings of the game, but for my demo it was tuned to be nice and big so as to not create frustration caused by consecutive whiffs.

Once I had decided on my virtual point of contact, I tapped the trigger again which changed the color of the Move's sensor to green, letting me know that my club's movement would now interact with the ball if I swung haphazardly. In-game all of this was represented by the viewpoint shifting from behind the player to looking through their eyes and directly down at the ball. All that's visible is the club head so you can align it perfectly with the ball and make your shot.

From there it was time for me to take my first shot. I felt that the club did a good job of judging my speed, as my first swing only yielded a 90% power rating. That made sense given the effort I exerted. When I pulled back a bit more and really let it rip, I wound up with a power rating up near 106%. As I twisted my hands and tried repeat shots, the ball behaved just as you'd expect; twisting and bending in the appropriate directions. The demoer noted that the sensitivity wasn't quite tuned in this early version, but he assured me that they'd have everything worked out by the time the game ships later this year, so players can make the game as realistic as they want.

3 month to launch is short. These first wave of Move development must be very hectic now.

So... I found this old Bruce Lee Youtube video by chance. Can Sony make a Bruce Lee game using Move ? I'd like to wallop someone's head with a nunchuck. :devilish:

Wii and Move people will find this video familiar, especially Wii folks:

Yeah, nunchuck should be possible, and could be interesting - you could do it without worrying about accidentally smashing your own face in. ;) But the full Bruce Lee experience would be a bit tricky, unless you strap two more Move controllers to your feet. ;) (Honestly I wouldn't even mind if it came to that) However, the problem is of course that there's a limit to what kind of thing you can be expected to do in a game - you can't keep doing real flying kicks for instance (or even one, for most people). ;) I see more in an advanced version of something like Tekken, but then one with (slightly) more believable physics, realistic damage, and where you have a lot more control over your actions.

Back