epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
http://www.rense.com/general72/size.htm
13db9ddd.jpg

13db957.jpg

13db967.jpg

13db976.jpg

If I remember correctly, Antares is so large that if it were positioned where the Sun is, it would engulf the orbit of Mars! That means it's radius is about 140 million miles!

OpenGL guy said:
If I remember correctly, Antares is so large that if it were positioned where the Sun is, it would engulf the orbit of Mars! That means it's radius is about 140 million miles!
How certain are scientists that there isnt anything larger?

if stars this large are possible, does that mean that if they have planetary objects, they would be similarly huge? And if so, why dont we have an easier time of detecting them?

epic

epicstruggle said:
How certain are scientists that there isnt anything larger?
Where did you get the idea that scientists think Antares is the largest star?! I've never seen such a proclamation made anywhere. It's certainly a very large star, but there are a whole lot of stars in the universe whose size we can't measure.

epicstruggle said:
if stars this large are possible, does that mean that if they have planetary objects, they would be similarly huge? And if so, why dont we have an easier time of detecting them?
Not necessarily. Also, a star would have to be near enough for us to detect any planets. Antares is quite distant (1000 light years?), so I think our chances of observing any planets there are slim.

Antares is unlikely to have any planets given that it is a binary star and a red supergiant to boot.

Antares is so much bigger, but it only has about 15 times the mass of the sun, so it's really a big poofy ball of gas.

Neeyik said:
Antares is unlikely to have any planets given that it is a binary star and a red supergiant to boot.
True enough. Antares probably started as a very large star, but is now bloated to a red supergiant because it is burning helium (hydrogen has already been consumed). When it bloated, it probably vaporized any planets that were orbiting.

OpenGL guy said:
Where did you get the idea that scientists think Antares is the largest star?! I've never seen such a proclamation made anywhere. It's certainly a very large star, but there are a whole lot of stars in the universe whose size we can't measure.

Antares' dimensions are as much inferred as measured. There are good reasons to believe that there's an upper limit to the mass of a "normal" star which exist for meaningful periods of time. This in turn implies a limit to the size a star can attain in the supergiant phase.

epicstruggle said:
sorry im not too knowledeable in this area, but why does it matter if it was a binary star?
Binary star systems aren't particularly good at helping planets to form regular and stable orbits - well, they didn't last time I modelled some out.

nutball said:
Antares' dimensions are as much inferred as measured. There are good reasons to believe that there's an upper limit to the mass of a "normal" star which exist for meaningful periods of time. This in turn implies a limit to the size a star can attain in the supergiant phase.
Of course there are limits: If the energy from fusion isn't enough to prevent gravitational collapse, then you get a black hole instead of a star. However, given that there are billions of galaxies, chances are there's a star that's closer to that limit than Antares.

BTW, I think I once read that if the mass of the entire universe were packed into a black hole, the event horizon would be about to Mars' orbit as well.

epicstruggle said:

epic
Good question. The simple answer is that we don't know. The slightly more complex answer would be, that we think that the larger the star, the less chance there is on smaller planets. And the more complex answer would be, that we haven't got the means or data to calculate that in either case.

But don't expect life around there, as they will burn fiercely and fast.

OpenGL guy said:
Of course there are limits: If the energy from fusion isn't enough to prevent gravitational collapse, then you get a black hole instead of a star.
No that's not what I meant, and actually it's back-to-front.

As you increase the mass of a "normal" star (ie. a star composed of non-degenerate matter) you increase the energy output of the fusion reactor in the core. This energy produced is (broadly speaking) released from the core in the form of electromagnetic radiation, radiation which exerts a "pressure" on neutral or partialy ionized gases (eg. the stellar envelope). Eventually as you increase the stellar mass you reach the point at which the radiation pressure exterted by the core on the envelope of the star exceeds its self-gravity, and blows the envelope away... basically the star is so massive and hot it boils itself into space. From this we can infer that "normal" stars cannot do the things they do above a mass of ~150-200 Solar masses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back