Nvidia's Next-Generation RTX GPU [3060, 3070, 3080, 3090]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Shortbread, Sep 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

Yeah...the fallacies in use are hillarious

PSman1700 likes this.
  2. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Gamers don't mine too ? I don't get the point. Because ampere is increasing on steam, ampere is not buy by miners too ?

Cuthalu, ToTTenTranz and PSman1700 like this.
  3. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

They picked up a bad situation for DIY gamers - which is having the majority being forced to pay well above MSRP for dGPUs due to shortages - and somehow turned that into good news, as if "gamers are getting richer and paying more for our cards"!
    Of course the moment the 5 year-old GTX 1050 Ti, which debuted at $140, starts selling above $300, you can brag about increasing your the amount of cards selling for over $299.
    At this point they're just celebrating the ripping off of their largest source of income.

Not only that, they're also skewing the numbers. Ampere has 1.7x the adoption rate of Turing, not 2x.
    And it's not like the comparison to Turing is a great accomplishment. They're comparing Ampere to what was probably their family of GPUs with the slowest selling ramp of the past decade. Turing cards released among harsh criticism from their lower value compared to Pascal cards, which at the time Turing released were flooding the 2nd-hand market as miners were dumping them due to the crypto crash.

#963 ToTTenTranz, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Cuthalu likes this.
  4. A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y

Veteran Regular

NVIDIA Calls Ampere GeForce RTX 30 Series Graphics Cards Their Best Launch Ever, More Gamers Buying High-End GPUs

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-calls-ampere-geforce-rtx-30-series-graphics-cards-their-best-launch-ever

5. CarstenS

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I think it's pretty clear from the footnote underneath the graphic itself:„Note: Desktop Card ASP based on MSRP of entire $99+ offering, for first 6 Months after launch“ [edit: missed an f]

#965 CarstenS, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    DegustatoR and PSman1700 like this.
  6. techuse

Regular Newcomer

pharma and Lightman like this.
  7. pharma

Veteran Regular

Seems the increase would be even more if not for an " active rBAR" problem on RTX cards.
    I keep forgetting with many review sites are using rBAR as a standard testing feature.

PSman1700 likes this.
  8. dskneo

Regular

The situation at 1080p is really absurd. The 3090 jump above the 6900xt at 4K also raises eyebrows.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Why though? 3090 has always done better against 6900 at 4K compared to lower resolutions and it was pretty close at 1440p already

10. techuse

Regular Newcomer

I wouldn't say it's faster when the 6900 offers a 50% higher frametime percentile.

Putas likes this.
  11. DegustatoR

Veteran

1080p shows CPU limitation on GeForces.
    4K doesn't.
    Bad frametimes is a result of ReBAR issue in WDL which present in current driver.

PSman1700 likes this.
  12. Benetanegia

Regular Newcomer

A 0.2% percentile is not a particularly useful metric to represent performance of a card or gaming experience. 2 out of 1000 frames being half as fast says very little, even @100 fps we're talking about just 2 frames every 10 seconds being "half speed" vs 50% longer on the 6900), and @65fps (as shown in the charts for the 3090) it's 2 frames every 15 seconds. Even if consecutive, hardly noticeable.

It's interesting from an architectural POV tho. maybe showing the strenght of Infinity Cache.

PSman1700 likes this.
  13. DegustatoR

Veteran

I don't think that IC has anything to do with it since RDNA1 cards and even GCN cards show similar behavior.
    Likely something in renderer resource management doesn't work well on NV GPUs - which is the usual culprit for such issues.

PSman1700 and Benetanegia like this.
  14. techuse

Regular Newcomer

While not a certainty, it could point to frame times at various low percentiles being much worse as well though. Could be a noticeably less smooth experience.

15. pharma

Veteran Regular

PCIe Resizable BAR Performance AMD and NVIDIA benchmarks - DX11: Unigine: Superposition (guru3d.com)

Lightman and PSman1700 like this.
  16. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Question regarding LHR versions of GPUs Nvidia is now releasing. I don't know much about how they detect the hashing but I believe it's based on how the mining tools memory access patterns? I'm wondering if there would ever be a possibility in near future where gaming, rendering or other uses non-mining related could be falsely detected as ethereum-like mining and cause the GPU to throttle?

17. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Unlikely, it's only Ethereum limiter so there's probably very specific things it detects, probably more than just memory access patterns. Other than ETH you can mine away without limitations so if it was just memory access patterns, what are the chances something useful would ever match that while probably more similar mining software for other coins isn't affected.

Malo likes this.
  18. pharma

Veteran Regular

GeForce & Radeon Ultrawide & 4K Gaming Performance Roundup – Techgage
    May 7, 2021

Lightman and PSman1700 like this.