nVidia's Enemy List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xmas said:
And you don't really want to compare the Inq to the pope, do you? ;)

Well, faith in divine intervention is often necessary when reading Inq pieces, so it's not all that inappropriate. ;)

Really, I was just going for any well known figure that would be ridiculous to accuse of anti-IHV bias.

trinibwoy said:
IbaneZ said:
I've always felt that Fudo likes green more than red. :)

Me too. They usually don't seem too skeptical when reporting on "Nvidia's promises".

Well, this is what I find worrisome. If Inq can end up on the sh*t-list as an ATI-f@nboi site, then anyone can this side of nvnews.

It would be strange for rage3d to be a on an nvidia blacklist as they do not review nvdia cards. In fact they do not even post much about nvidia cards as such.

It is not strange that theInq is on an nvidia blacklist, though how can it be for being regards being biased towards Ati ? More likely because they give gossip ( some of it truthful, some not ) about next generation products and are not under NDA. Surely that is why they are blacklisted ?

dizietsma said:
It would be strange for rage3d to be a on an nvidia blacklist as they do not review nvdia cards. In fact they do not even post much about nvidia cards as such.

It is not strange that theInq is on an nvidia blacklist, though how can it be for being regards being biased towards Ati ? More likely because they give gossip ( some of it truthful, some not ) about next generation products and are not under NDA. Surely that is why they are blacklisted ?

Well, that's where I thot Xmas was going at first. The article is pretty catagorical, however, and is first-person primary source reporting. So the author is a first-class lying-sh*t, or he was told what he was told by those in a position to know of what they speak.

And, if he's a first-class lying-sh*t, he's also a damn irresponsible one, much more so than printing will-o'the-wisp rumors on hardware specs.

dizietsma said:

Let me put it to you another way; don't you think we've tried? Ratch has approached nV more than once to include nVidia cards in our reviews (we are not rich to pay for cards you know)... the result? Nada. Now that I am going back to the mag I used to work for (before my army duty I mean), you will see more nVidia cards featured on R3D ;)

Nvidia take a very simple line: "If you're not with us one hundred percent, then you are against us." They gained this attitude when they were dominant in the market, and they've not changed their view.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Nvidia take a very simple line: "If you're not with us one hundred percent, then you are against us." They gained this attitude when they were dominant in the market, and they've not changed their view.

Eesh, I hope that's a bit of an overstatement, as combined with the FX fiasco --when it was practically impossible for 99.94% of the community to be "with them 100%", you end up with a mighty impressive enemy list.

I will say they've always seemed to have sharp elbows (remembering the anti-Kyro hit pieces) even when they were undisputable top-dog.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:

Not quite sure how you qualify this statement. I know many of the guys working around and with me are not with Nvidia. Yet we are not on the blacklist.

I've approached nVidia dozens and dozens of times. I've literally begged them for something I could review (which made me feel greasy). They lead me on, making it seem like they might actually give me something, but in the end never do.

I've approached most of nVidia's AIBs as well, including the ones that sell both IHV cards, but nothing from them at all. I've been told that not only does nV have a blacklist, they share it with their AIBs as well.

nV PR Person said:
I just know you guys are ATI fans. As an ATI fan, it will be hard to put your emotions aside. You guys are human. No shame in that.

Not a dead issue yet. We will support you in other ways, regardless of the review unit. Still pondering.
While I see the logic in that, and actually appreciate the candor, I take issue with this persons suggestion that I have any emotional attachment to ATI. Quite the contrary in fact, as some people here that know would tell you.

That was back in 2003 btw, still nothing yet. ;)

Ratchet said:
I've approached nVidia dozens and dozens of times. I've literally begged them for something I could review (which made me feel greasy). They lead me on, making it seem like they might actually give me something, but in the end never do.

Aha! The infamous nVidia prick-tease! I'd give up trying to get a review card if I were you. They'd never call you in the morning anyway. :p

Ratchet said:
I've been told by an nV PR rep that a blacklist doesn't exist, but I've been told by other people close to nV that one does indeed exist and nV keeps it updated vigorously. I'm on it (or at least Rage3D is), and apparently so are a few of the other regulars here.

I am sure that i am on it.

Not that i am an ati *Fannboy* anymore.. but.. I stacked up enough hate a discontent over about 6 months a couple years ago to last a good long while.

Diplo said:
It's a videocard. Get over it.

Preaching to the choir, of course, but I would hope that you'd realize that obviously ATi and nV, among others certainly, are incapable of viewing the situation in quite the same light...;) To them, I'd imagine it's not "just a videocard," but also jobs, stock prices, investment funding, profits and...an economically viable future, among other things...:D

I guess I have never heard of the blacklist, but I can imagine that NV PR would shy away from giving Rage3D hardware. If we switch the tables around, do you think ATI would be happy to send NVNews a card for review? Even though Mike bought a X800 XT PE and had some very fair and good comments about the board, do you really think ATI will give them review cards when those same cards could be sent to a place that is either 1) an ATI fan site, or 2) a distinctly non-biased site like Beyond3D (or penstarsys.com... cough)?

I mean, I am pretty non-biased and I will praise what needs to be praised, and condemn what is total crap. However, I don't get didly from ATI, so does that mean that I am on their blacklist?

We probably shouldn't take this so seriously, as I imagine it is more of a factor of supply/demand as well as the foibles of the PR industry. Sure, Ratchet would do an excellent job and produce a fine article and review, and do it fairly, but PR is PR. If the site is a fansite for a certain company, then the competition will not give free samples when their products are so closely matched in overall features and performance. Now... if NVIDIA were to produce an uber-card, and ATI had a flop, then perhaps they would be more open to providing a card. It would be quite a coup if NVIDIA posted a very positive comment about their card on the NVIDIA site from Rage3D.com.

So, keep trying Ratchet!

I could imagine NV PR imagining explaining to joe bobs Gforce Heavan.com how it is they can't get a card (when of course they are the biggest NV fans in the world) when R3D is getting one.

I think Josh made a good point that might also be a path forward --buy your own NV board (or get one from a board partner --did you try that route? Lots more of them) and prove by the only way that matters that you'd do a fair review in that situation (by doing one).

I'm pretty sure (well, y'know, 95%+) that NV wouldn't send in a SWAT team to liberate a board you bought yourself before you could review it. I think. :LOL:

JoshMST said:
do you think ATI would be happy to send NVNews a card for review?
Actually they were planning to, I was friends with MikeC at the time and had made some inquiries about it for him and introduced him to some people to get one and was under the impression that ATi wanted nVnews to review one at the time (R300 vs nV30 timeframe) .

Kombatant said:
dizietsma said:

Let me put it to you another way; don't you think we've tried? Ratch has approached nV more than once to include nVidia cards in our reviews (we are not rich to pay for cards you know)... the result? Nada. Now that I am going back to the mag I used to work for (before my army duty I mean), you will see more nVidia cards featured on R3D ;)

That's interesting, I always had thought that Rage3D had made a decision to just do ATi and as ATti became more popular that decision seemed to pay off very well !

geo said:
I could imagine NV PR imagining explaining to joe bobs Gforce Heavan.com how it is they can't get a card (when of course they are the biggest NV fans in the world) when R3D is getting one.

I think Josh made a good point that might also be a path forward --buy your own NV board (or get one from a board partner --did you try that route? Lots more of them) and prove by the only way that matters that you'd do a fair review in that situation (by doing one).

I'm pretty sure (well, y'know, 95%+) that NV wouldn't send in a SWAT team to liberate a board you bought yourself before you could review it. I think. :LOL:

Heh, as Ratch said, AIB partners were approached, with no different results. So the only choice we have in order to acquire nVidia boards is either for Ratchet to buy them for his reviews, or for me to use the boards we get for the magazine I work for here in Greece (which I intend to do, thankyouverymuch).

dizietsma said:
That's interesting, I always had thought that Rage3D had made a decision to just do ATi and as ATti became more popular that decision seemed to pay off very well !

That's a general misconception really... Rage3D is an ATI fansite, but not a blind fanboi site mind you. We don't have any problems reviewing nVidia hardware, and if they are better, tell that to the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back