Nvidia Shows Signs in [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is also fine in a situation where many people are still using 10 and 20 series because of miners.
I don't think that's fine. Nvidia failed to ensure those gamers got reasonably priced 30 series... back when they were the new thing.

We'll have to see what they do with the 30 series now that 40 series is right around the corner.

And like I said, none of this changes the fact that they were ready, and primed, to completely bend us over with the 40 series.

I don't think that's fine. Nvidia failed to ensure those gamers got reasonably priced 30 series... back when they were the new thing.

We'll have to see what they do with the 30 series now that 40 series is right around the corner.

And like I said, none of this changes the fact that they were ready, and primed, to completely bend us over with the 40 series.
What fact? And what exactly do you suggest Nvidia should have done to "ensure those gamers got reasonably priced 30 series"? They went to Samsung for that and has put a pricing pressure on AMD. What else could they do? Kill every miner on the planet?

What fact? And what exactly do you suggest Nvidia should have done to "ensure those gamers got reasonably priced 30 series"? They went to Samsung for that and has put a pricing pressure on AMD. What else could they do? Kill every miner on the planet?
Directly sold by Nvidia... to gamers, at MSRP. 1 per person max. Ensure that more cards were sold via that method.. instead of shutting down their store and releasing them via Bestbuy only, which got pathetic amounts of stock. Reduce supply to partners obviously taking advantage of consumers unless they adopted a similar method of ensuring cards went to gamers. EVGA set up their own queue at MSRP, and were getting a pathetic amount.. queues were moving pathetically slow... I've no doubt EVGA and Nvidia as well as other partners were ensuring the bulk of cards went to miners willing to pay hundreds/thousand+ over MSRP, instead of patiently waiting gamers in their queues.

Stop acting like there's nothing more they could have done.. They made their choice, and it's obvious they all too willing to throw gamers under the bus and did as little possible to ensure gamers were getting a steady stream of cards as they danced with crypto miners. Like I said... they wanted crypto to keep booming as they readied their 40 series GPUs... to absolutely bend us over.

Directly sold by Nvidia... to gamers, at MSRP. 1 per person max. Ensure that more cards were sold via that method.. instead of shutting down their store and releasing them via Bestbuy only, which got pathetic amounts of stock. Reduce supply to partners obviously taking advantage of consumers unless they adopted a similar method of ensuring cards went to gamers. EVGA set up their own queue at MSRP, and were getting a pathetic amount.. queues were moving pathetically slow... I've no doubt EVGA and Nvidia as well as other partners were ensuring the bulk of cards went to miners willing to pay hundreds/thousand+ over MSRP, instead of patiently waiting gamers in their queues.

Stop acting like there's nothing more they could have done.. They made their choice, and it's obvious they all too willing to throw gamers under the bus and did as little possible to ensure gamers were getting a steady stream of cards as they danced with crypto miners. Like I said... they wanted crypto to keep booming as they readied their 40 series GPUs... to absolutely bend us over.
There is nothing more they could have done. It's you who should stop acting like there is just the US in whole world, and even in US it is literally impossible for Nvidia to satisfy all demand through FE sales off their website. Not to mention that this would create serious tension if not outright exodus of AIB partners.

The market is a lot more complex and at the same time simpler than you think. It is more complex in what Nvidia can do with it and simpler in how demand and supply drives it.

There is nothing more they could have done. It's you who should stop acting like there is just the US in whole world, and even in US it is literally impossible for Nvidia to satisfy all demand through FE sales off their website. Not to mention that this would create serious tension if not outright exodus of AIB partners.

The market is a lot more complex and at the same time simpler than you think. It is more complex in what Nvidia can do with it and simpler in how demand and supply drives it.
I'm not even in the US...

But anyway, we don't need to keep going in circles about this. Believe what you want, as I will.

Let's not forget that NVIDIA did everything logically possible to try to get more cards to gamers: they created separate SKUs for mining, limited mining performance on consumer GPUs, released drivers that throttled mining performance, limited number of mining GPUs on a single system through drivers, and encouraged AIBs to sell GPUs to gamers and kept a steady supply of GPUs to mobile and OEM segments. That's more than anyone ever did in the history of GPUs since the mining bubbles have started, and way more than AMD ever did, whether recently or during the previous second or first mining bubbles.

NVIDIA doesn't gain much from selling GPUs to miners, they gain way more from gamers adopting their ecosystem and their PC-centric features.

BRUH $5.9B Q3.
What a disaster.

Ooof, their margins took a rather large hit in Q2. 43.5% GAAP compared to 64.8% GAAP a year ago. As a result operating income (499 million USD vs. 2.44 billion USD a year ago) and net income (656 million USD vs. 2.37 billion USD a year ago) took a nose dive.

But at least they are still generating positive income.

Regards,
SB

We'll see. I'm skeptical.

I think they will bump it up and they'll say "You want cheaper GPUs? We've got some for you.. the 30 series.

Anyway I hope you're right.

If their is no new features, but only a more powerfull gpu with 40xx, I would be okf with this.... 30xx support RT, dlss, etc...

Don’t underestimate the impact of the death of Moore’s Law.

In the past when Nvidia or AMD went from 40nm to 28nm (for example), after the first few months of production and yield optimization, costs would quickly reach a point where a certain number of transistors (and consequently flops) would be significantly cheaper to manufacture (and consume less power) on 28nm. These cost savings would be passed on to us in the form of an xx70 price-class GPU performing the same as the prior generation’s xx80ti price-class (for example).

This cost scaling is completely dead. It seems unlikely that a Tflop on TSMC4 is *ever* going to be cheaper than a Tflop on Samsung8. Ergo it makes sense for prior generation GPUs to co-exist with the new generation for the foreseeable future.

The only possible way to get a “cheaper Tflop” is by bumping frequency (and consequently power) and we’re seeing some of that play out. Still, that’s not an easy game either due to BOM cost increases due to better cooling needs, eroding some of the cost savings.

We need to get accustomed to a post Moore’s Law world. Perf increases will continue but we’ll have to pay for it.

Announced during a recent earnings call (and reported by PCmag), the GPU manufacturer and service provider revealed that the company’s GeForce Now game streaming service has officially surpassed 20 million registered players. This is an impressive amount of growth, especially considering the service only launched two years ago.

For comparison’s sake, Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass service, which first launched all the way back in 2017, has 25 million members as of January 2022. Of course, the two services are rather different when it comes to each service’s library, but thanks to this it seems the two services can co-exist and grow together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back