NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume these data represent market share in units sold, not revenue. So as a very high-end product, Fury was unlikely to have a substantial impact. Revenue figures might tell a different story, though they would probably look worse for AMD in absolute terms (i.e. AMD's revenue share might be growing faster, but it's probably lower than 18.8%).

True, but the high end was the only missing part of their lineup and having Fury-series out, their lineup is complete so fewer holes in comparisons. AMD also had the refresh of the 390-series early in that quarter. which still are ok products. I think the lineup is better than what the markeshare is, but yeah it's been tough for them and they really could use some products that leave nVidia behind. I think if Fury had been able to beat GM200, it could have had some carry on effect and make the whole lineup seem and sell better...

I assume these data represent market share in units sold, not revenue. So as a very high-end product, Fury was unlikely to have a substantial impact. Revenue figures might tell a different story, though they would probably look worse for AMD in absolute terms (i.e. AMD's revenue share might be growing faster, but it's probably lower than 18.8%).

Yes the data is market share in units sold, not revenue.

The mention in the report of "the PC gaming momentum continues to build and is the bright spot in the AIB market." shows why Nvidia had a blowout quarter.

U.S. International Trade Commission Declines to Review NVIDIA Patent Suit

Slight update direct from Nvidia about their lawsuit -- http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/12/14/nvidia-itc/

The U.S. International Trade Commission today declined our request to review a recent decision involving NVIDIA by one of its administrative law judges. He had ruled in October that Samsung and Qualcomm infringed one of our graphics patents, which wasn’t valid, and did not infringe two of our other patents

Per JPR - Nvidia had an exceptionally strong quarter

Nvidia's desktop discrete shipments were up 26.35% from last quarter; and the company's notebook discrete shipments increased 14.1%. The company's overallPC graphics shipment increased 21.4% from last quarter. Nvidia had an exceptionally strong quarter.

http://www.jonpeddie.com/publications/market_watch

EDIT: This report seems to be for 2015Q3 not 2015Q4. It would be nice if JPR put a date on these reports.

Last edited:
We can celebrate another great quarter for the good folks at Nvidia who just reported another set of expectation-topping earnings.

• Record quarterly revenue of $1.40 billion, up 12 percent from a year earlier
  • Record full-year revenue of $5.01 billion, up 7 percent from fiscal 2015
  • Growth across all market platforms - Gaming, Professional Visualization, Datacenter, Automotive
Nvidia shares are up 8.21% in after hours trading at the time of reporting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The logic behind the explanation as to why the AMD GPU did significantly better makes sense, hence me jumping to the conclusion that DX12, when properly implemented, will favor AMD's current architecture. Plus for gaming fans, just seeing this play out in a couple of titles will change perception (which now greatly favors NVDA), as future titles will certainly trend towards exploring DX12 to its fullest.

Now it depends on how fast nVidia responds (this involves a significant architectural change). And how fast the gaming community changes its perception, of course.

By the way, I used the chart to illustrate the loss of market share, not to explain the loss of it.

The logic behind the explanation as to why the AMD GPU did significantly better makes sense, hence me jumping to the conclusion that DX12, when properly implemented, will favor AMD's current architecture. Plus for gaming fans, just seeing this play out in a couple of titles will change perception (which now greatly favors NVDA), as future titles will certainly trend towards exploring DX12 to its fullest.

Now it depends on how fast nVidia responds (this involves a significant architectural change). And how fast the gaming community changes its perception, of course.
I don't think this one benchmark warrants anyone changing their perception about anything. Wait until DX12 games actually arrive in significant numbers to draw conclusions.

BTW you have to have around a couple dozen posts before you get editing privileges. :)

By the way, I used the chart to illustrate the loss of market share, not to explain the loss of it.

(Sorry, couldn't add this to my previous post - I can't find Edit or perhaps too much time has passed for me to edit).

"These market share losses have been ongoing for a long time:
[Chart]
They were supported by an intrinsic AMD disadvantage in both markets on two grounds:
  • Pure performance.
  • Performance per energy (power) used."
My contention is that the chart does not show market share in discrete GPU to be correlated to performance or performance / power. So from my point of view you have a conclusion that's not supported by the data right above it. If the graphic specifically showed Maxwell absolutely stuffing Southern Islands w/o context it would be easier to accept the proposition.

Due to timing constraints I published the article including your chart. If you do not want it there, I can ask for its removal and just leave the link:

AMD Gets 1 Of The 2 Miracles It Needs

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3934656-amd-gets-1-2-miracles-needs

Most of the ground loss on the GPU front was because of the late arrival of Fiji and the 3xx series and then some degree of what you stated but not much.

A 9 month delay is nothing to sneeze at, end result more like a year of OEM and system builder contracts down the tubes, and then because of their relative performance when released, they didn't give anything else more over nV's product line to sway anyone.

You realize though, to exploit DX12 "to the fullest", you need to have pretty explicit programming, at thing not many devs are willing to invest in times of MVP crossplatform ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back