NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they have used all the hotlots and never actually went into mass production???

If they only brought GPUs to market using hot lots, their stock would have been depleted many times over after sending out a couple of samples to magazines.

Hot lots and risk lots are entirely different things...

i saw that in a few reports as well ( the minority) but the fact is they dont know that either. but lets put it into perspective, AMD was sueing intel and had lots of Ammo. AMD bought ATI for what, 5 billion.

so you think the negotiations basically ended up:

AMD
AMD can manufacture where ever they like
cross licences for existing stuff still exists
1 billion dollars from intel

Intel
massive case against them gets dropped
access to patents that cost amd 5 billion to aquire
-1 billion dollars

considering various countries/UE had taken intel to the cleaners for a few billion if this is the way the negotiations turned out then AMD is epic fail at negotiating

Due note that ATI and Intel had an cross-license patent agreement as well.

i saw that in a few reports as well ( the minority) but the fact is they dont know that either. but lets put it into perspective, AMD was sueing intel and had lots of Ammo. AMD bought ATI for what, 5 billion.

so you think the negotiations basically ended up:

AMD
AMD can manufacture where ever they like
1 billion dollars from intel

Intel
massive case against them gets dropped
access to patents that cost amd 5 billion to aquire
-1 billion dollars

considering various countries/UE had taken intel to the cleaners for a few billion if this is the way the negotiations turned out then AMD is epic fail at negotiating

a) AMD bought much more than patents when they bought ATi.
b) AMD used to pay some amount of per x86 chip royalties to Intel. With the latest agreement that is no longer the case.
c) Some amount of money now is better than the chance of risk associated with a long drawn out trial.
d) Only EU has levied any substantial fines against Intel so far and Intel is pursuing that case in court.

I'd say very good settlement for AMD. Their CPU execution is another matter however.

a) AMD bought much more than patents when they bought ATi.
b) AMD used to pay some amount of per x86 chip royalties to Intel. With the latest agreement that is no longer the case.
c) Some amount of money now is better than the chance of risk associated with a long drawn out trial.
d) Only EU has levied any substantial fines against Intel so far and Intel is pursuing that case in court.

I'd say very good settlement for AMD. Their CPU execution is another matter however.

a). i know that but you can buy a lot of smart peope for 5 billion USD
b). never heard of this, link? given the fact the cross licence agreement is confedential i wouldn't expect this kind of information to be made public
c). not really see rambus
d). true, but intel are like running 3 and 0? korea japan and the EU.

There CPU execuition has been fine, deneb, thurban, instanbule, magny cours haven't had any issues. What was lacking was direction and a way foward. bobcat seems to be fine same with bulldozer, the only issue they have had is llano and that for all we know could be more GPU then CPU.

b). never heard of this, link? given the fact the cross licence agreement is confedential i wouldn't expect this kind of information to be made public

Patent Cross License Agreement - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. and Intel Corp.(Jan 01, 2001)

INTEL & AMD CONFIDENTIAL

IN CONSIDERATION OF THE MUTUAL COVENANTS AND PROMISES CONTAINED HEREIN,
THE PARTIES AGREE AS FOLLOWS:

4. ROYALTY PAYMENTS BY AMD

4.1. AMD agrees to pay INTEL a royalty on the Net Revenue from sales and
other dispositions of Royalty-Bearing Units as a percentage of such
Net Revenue according to the following schedule:

4.3. Within ***** (*****) days of the end of each calendar quarter, AMD
shall pay the full amount of royalties due with respect to such
quarter to Intel by wire transfer for the account of Intel to *****,
or such other account as Intel may indicate from time to time. Along
with each such payment, AMD shall deliver to Intel a detailed
written royalty statement, in a form reasonably acceptable to Intel,
which shows the sum of the ***** each allowed deduction applied by
AMD to arrive at the ***** sold or otherwise disposed of, the
royalty rate in effect, and the total royalty due to Intel. All
royalty notices and reports shall be delivered to Intel at the
following address, until such address is changed by notice from
Intel:

4.4. All payments shall be made free and clear without deduction for any
and all present and future taxes imposed by any taxing authority.

LINK :cry:

Looks like Rambus is after Nvidia now....

Rambus wants Broadcom, Freescale Semiconductor, LSI, MediaTek, NVIDIA and STMicroelectronics barred from importing products which allegedly infringe Rambus-owned patents known as the Dally1 and Barth families and the Farmwald-Horowitz patents.
The Dally1 patents refer to some PCIe, SATA, SAS and DisplayPort interfaces. The Barth ones cover memory controllers used in DDR, DDR2, DDR3, mobile DDR, LPDDR, LPDDR2 and GDDR3 products used in graphic, communications and media processors, chip sets and other integrated circuits.

Jeez I hate rambus.

The Dally1 patents refer to some PCIe, SATA, SAS and DisplayPort interfaces. The Barth ones cover memory controllers used in DDR, DDR2, DDR3, mobile DDR, LPDDR, LPDDR2 and GDDR3 products used in graphic, communications and media processors, chip sets and other integrated circuits.

I was sad Nvidia lost whether they deserved it or not b/c someone needs to kick RAMBUS to the curb.

So lets see, PCI-E, SATA? Oh that is just niggly stuff that no one uses.

IIRC, that was about the gddr controllers in gpu's.

Seems like Rambus is going after anyone who dares to manufacture any kind of PHYs.

I'm surprised that no one has posted about the humor of this latest round. Its akin to hand loading the bullets, putting them into the gun, and then handing it to the person who is going to kill you.

...Yeah, that sounds like nVidia. That's classic nVidia, in fact.

._. Why do they always do stupid shit like this?

Don't know whether it is Nvidia or not. But why shouldn't they? All Nvidia has to take care about is Nvidia and its employees and shareholders but definately not Rambus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back