NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
WRT to the better than expected yields: My bets are, that the yields they were expecting were based on a 512/448 mix of launch products; if that's true, it's not very surprising that they are better than expected.

WRT to the better than expected yields: My bets are, that the yields they were expecting were based on a 512/448 mix of launch products; if that's true, it's not very surprising that they are better than expected.
They said in the conf call that yields on all 40nm products, not only Fermi, were better.

But did they also they that with the same enthusiasm? I seem to remember a passage in the tone of "Fermi yields are way above expectations". Not that i wouldn't like way better yields on all products (they mean, after all, lower prices), but I'm having a hard time taking this at face value.

so according to many people, NV is selling "only low to mid chips" (G2xx), yet they are increasing gross margins.
AMD had sold 6mlns of R8xx vs few hundered thousand Fermis, yet NV got 3x the profit.
I'm starting to think that all these cries about Nv having problems (bumpgate, yield-gate, whatever-gate) are just that - cries.
That, or AMD is in severe mismanagement crysis. Or both?
Hearing "profits from R8xx will show up in next quarter" for last 6 months is enough.

Margin is non-linear - market share numbers, hence absolute volumes, are key.

Also the way the numbers are reported aren't comparable, e.g. chipsets are in NVidia's numbers but not in AMD's GPG's.

Jawed

Also Nvidia has a line of extremely high margin products (ATI doesn't have anything close I think) to offset lower margins in other lines.

I haven't been paying attention but I don't think ATI's FireGL line is as highly priced as the Quadro and Tesla lines.

Even without that, ATI is managing margins similar to Nvidia's.

The market is still Nvidia's to lose (or not), but ATI has made rather huge strides the past year in gaining ground. If not for 40 yields, ATI might have gained even more ground. Although it's also possible without those same problems Nvidia would have gotten Fermi out sooner and in a more acceptable power envelope.

Add to that, Nvidia did a good blocking maneuver on ATI by buying large quantities of 40 nm wafers (or capacity?) thus further limiting the amount of chips ATI could push out while they were working on Fermi.

Regards,
SB

Techpowerup is carrying the story here:
BFG Technologies today announced their exit from the graphics card category. The company will continue to sell their line of BFG Tech power supplies as well as their Deimos gaming notebooks and Phobos gaming systems.

Quickly looking could not find any news relase on their website. Interestingly they might still be selling nvidia products as part of their Deimos and Phobos lines. From a long way away it looks like a margins type decision, if profitability improves some time in the future leaving the door open for a comeback.

It might be my imagination but i have noticed that Zotac seems more prominent as a reseller lately at least in the areas where XFX is also present.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many chipsets are they moving nowadays? MCP79 has been replaced by MCP89 which is only used on the 13" Macbooks(i read somewhere that Nvidia and Apple have an exclusive agreement on this?). Ion is now dead and Ion2 is not a chipset :p In the AMD department, have they introduced any new chipsets in the last two years? Their market share has also shrunk drastically since AMD bought ATI

How many chipsets are they moving nowadays? MCP79 has been replaced by MCP89 which is only used on the 13" Macbooks(i read somewhere that Nvidia and Apple have an exclusive agreement on this?). Ion is now dead and Ion2 is not a chipset :p In the AMD department, have they introduced any new chipsets in the last two years? Their market share has also shrunk drastically since AMD bought ATI

They pulled out of the market for AMD chipsets a while ago, claiming it "wasn't worth it". They're probably still selling some, likely not many.

Dont think theres much to that, AMD probably wanted someone to push Eyefinity, Stream(or OPEN CL?)etc so they got someone from NV who had experience pushing CUDA and Physx. Or am i completely wrong here :???:

Is this confirmed anywhere else?

http://physxinfo.com/news/3060/manju-hedge-former-cuda-and-physx-vp-is-leaving-nvidia-to-join-amd/

Our sources at NVIDIA are indicating – this information is truthful.

However, according to our data, Manju departure won’t affect PhysX or CUDA development process in NVIDIA, and his new roll in AMD won’t be connected to game physics related projects (instead, he is going to be involved in ISV recruitment).

That's physxinfo, they ought to be right.. right?

So if I'm reading it right, Hegde's now in charge of Fusion's direction, ultimately, because he's responsible for shaping it into something end users and developers will want?

So if I'm reading it right, Hegde's now in charge of Fusion's direction, ultimately, because he's responsible for shaping it into something end users and developers will want?

To further pinpoint that, I'd put my money on that he's mostly focusing on finding the best ways to utilize both CPU and GPU parts of Fusion, to share the workload between them wherever possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back