nVidia Project Th-.. Shield (Tegra4)

What's wrong or weird with the form factor? It's practically the same as a MOGA setup or a Nintendo DS without the bottom screen, which by itself is an evolution of the Gameboy Advance SP.
It protects the screen from scratches while turned off. Many people prefer that to the PSP/Vita's form factor.

Huh? It's nothing like a DS or 3ds or Vita or anything else. Not even the Wiiublet.

Eh? It's bulky. It's a full sized console controller plus a screen, there's no way one would carry it in a pocket like one would a DS.

Neither would a PS Vita or a 3DS XL.
Either way, I think "pocket-able" is an overrated feature. Between wallet, car/home keys and smartphone, my pockets can hardly fit everything I need, so I wouldn't carry a portable console anyways.

At least they didn't skimp on the most important (IMO) hardware features: ergonomics, performance and battery life.

Huh? It's nothing like a DS or 3ds or Vita or anything else. Not even the Wiiublet.
Ermahgerd?

If i was gambling i would put money on PS Vita refresh having Android OS boot option now that it can be used touch only and HDMI

Full integration to Gaikai of course

I don't see the point of this. I guess its nice to play android games with dedicated controllers, but why ?

So, it's going to be more expensive than consoles. According to comments by the Nvidia spokesman.

Less portable than portable consoles.

Basically runs a smartphone OS.

I fail to see the attraction this will have. I predict it'll be lucky if it can do 1/4 of the sales of the PS Vita. And that's being extremely generous.

Regards,
SB

At least they didn't skimp on the most important (IMO) hardware features: ergonomics, performance and battery life.

Actually it seems like they sacrificed some ergonomics to improve portability (sunken sticks) and failed to achieve both portability and a comfortable grip.

So, it's going to be more expensive than consoles. According to comments by the Nvidia spokesman.

Less portable than portable consoles.

Basically runs a smartphone OS.

I fail to see the attraction this will have.
Alternative viewpoint. More portable than a home console. Better ergonomics than a portable console, especially when playing on TV. Huge number of games and plays your existing smartphone library (if they get their drivers working :p). It's an Ouya but more portable. i don't think it'll work, but I can understand them trying. EG has an article on an Archos tablet with controls, which sucks in their opinion, but as I said there, someone make a controller dock for the fabulous Nexus 7 and we'll have the ideal machine for cross-over gaming.

What huge number of games? Smartphone games? Why buy this when you can just play them on your smartphone? Or on Vita?

IMO it's games where this proposition falls apart.

What huge number of games? Smartphone games?
Yes.
Why buy this when you can just play them on your smartphone?
Smartphone controls suck.
Or on Vita?
If you don't own a Vita? :???: Or you want a handheld console that can also game on TV (no Vita HDMI out = fail)? Or you want to play the same block-buster game on you smartphone (Windows challenging that position)

IMO it's games where this proposition falls apart.
I think it's too muddly overall. the games will come, although Android needs more controller based platforms to encourage that. Puya, this, the Archos tablet - it's slowly happening methinks. Then the games will be there and the market will snowball. There's a huge upside to software on Android and that's the free development scenario, unlike consoles where you need to be a registered developer (nigh impossible) and pay plenty and have tricky licensing and management costs. So it's actually software where this is strong in the long-run, if only the market for controller games will gain critical mass. Not sure that'll happen before this project gets canned though.

Well I'm not sure about what to think about that :LOL:
The little something that ticks in my mind is the emphasis put on "we want it to be a controller and seam big picture mode.
For now the product look a bit irrelevant to me, I don't like the screen size. The makes the touch screen pretty useless (my feeling about it without having tried). The shape while it might be better than either the 3ds or vita is pretty bulky. I would have favored either a Gametab style or better a big DS style design. The thing seems design to be foremost a controller.

The only thing that interest me is the hint at a possible alliance between Valve and Nvidia.
Steam box announced next (/soon) for release in 2014 powered by a Nvidia SoC (boulder cores +kepler or maxwell)? Shield as a controller.

There is a lot of emphasis on the design being "open". The only two thing I would qualify as open are Android and Linux, it makes me wonder about Steam choices for their for now nebulous box .
Overall that kind of initiative, along with Steam initiative makes me feel like a lot of people are willing to break the standard console model, be it handled or home console.
we have huya which is really low power, but who knows if some others actors might decide to enter the fray with reasonably potent hardware.

it's a PC engine LT !

PC%20Engine%20LT.JPG

So my 680 in the HT room can run a pc game that i play on the TV in my living room via a wireless dongle while i control it wireless via the Shield controller... hmm

It just now occurred to me that the 5 inch screen is a touch screen (i know i am slow), and since this is a an android device i can play Vice City, with a controller on a Android device anywhere i want, and minecraft etc etc.. whoa...

I can make my son the coolest kid in school when he brings this Console to the class.. it is so bought :)

This has more of a value prospect than the Vita. Simply being able to play PC quality games on a portable makes it an interesting proposition. And the inclusion of a full on Android set up with access to games like NOVA 3 and Shadowgun THD with proper controls is quite exciting. Being able to play on the big TV is just a bonus.

At the moment I use my TF300 and a PS3 controller to do that.

I think that, depending on the price, I will get one of these. If only to see what the Tegra 4 is capable of.

Those are all cool projects. But they have a big downside and that is you are stuck playing the games with the awful touch screen controls.

The whole remote desktop\control your computer from a different device has been around for as long as Unix. The whole X foundation is about different terminals that could be anywhere.

But whatever the tech you are still stuck with the HCI at the end of the chain. That is a big advantage for the Shield project. Sony really need to hurry up and get Gaikai running on the PS? and the Vita.

Alternative viewpoint. More portable than a home console. Better ergonomics than a portable console, especially when playing on TV. Huge number of games and plays your existing smartphone library (if they get their drivers working :p). It's an Ouya but more portable. i don't think it'll work, but I can understand them trying. EG has an article on an Archos tablet with controls, which sucks in their opinion, but as I said there, someone make a controller dock for the fabulous Nexus 7 and we'll have the ideal machine for cross-over gaming.

Yes, but the comment was that the pricing won't be inline with consoles because there's a lot of tech in there including the relatively high PPI display.

So, I'm expecting the pricing to be somewhere around 450-700 USD or more. It's unlikely to be cheaper than a smartphone offering similar hardware, for example.

At that point I really don't see the point. Are people really jonsing to play Android games with a controller that much? If they want to stream their PC games to the TV, there's also far more affordable choices to do that.

The one thing that Ouya has going for it is that it's cheap. Sub 100 USD. And small and somewhat cute. Even then I don't see it succeeding, but we'll see. This proposal by nVidia just seems a bit out there in comparison.

I just get the feeling that nVidia aren't serious about launching this as a game system. But by making noise about it they attract far more media attention to Tegra 4, which is the main point, IMO.

Regards,
SB

If a Nexus 7 sells for $200, a Nexus 4 sells for $300 and a Nexus 10 sells for $400, why would this ever sell for $450 or more?

Unless nVidia has delusions of grandeur and Jen Hsun Huang woke up thinking he's Tim Cook, there's no way this is going to cost more than $350, and I'm rooting for sub-$300.

Back