NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

Why exactly does the GTX 980 Ti need its own thread?

Will there now be separate threads for the Titan X or the GTX 980?

Edit: Currently there are only seven posts in the GTX 980 Ti discussion thread so why not merge them back into this thread.

That's how we usually do things, one thread in the 3D Architectures & Chips section to discuss, well, the architecture in general, and one thread per (interesting) product in the 3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices section.

That's how we usually do things, one thread in the 3D Architectures & Chips section to discuss, well, the architecture in general, and one thread per (interesting) product in the 3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices section.

If that is so then where is the "Titan X" and the "GTX 980" thread because I searched the "3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices section" all the way back to January 2014 and the only Maxwell product thread is on the first gen Maxwell 750ti.

So this really is NOT "the way we usually do things" and something completely different.

If that is so then where is the "Titan X" and the "GTX 980" thread because I searched the "3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices section" all the way back to January 2014 and the only Maxwell product thread is on the first gen Maxwell 750ti.

So this really is NOT "the way we usually do things" and something completely different.
Why does it even matter?

There was a thread for R9 285, GTX 750, R9 290X, R9 295X, GTX660Ti, HD7770, HD7900, GTX 670, GTX 690, ...
The thread was not a surprise to me.

Why does it even matter?
Because as more posts happen on this thread the ONE post showing the link for the thread GTX 980 TI gets lost.

And as can be seen in the follow up posts there are no distinct threads for the other members of the Maxwell 2 family so why create one now.

This site is already hard to follow but at least up to now you could read the Maxwell thread and be informed about Maxwell. Now for some unknown reason that will not be so.

This site is already hard to follow but at least up to now you could read the Maxwell thread and be informed about Maxwell. Now for some unknown reason that will not be so.
I believe if something about 980 Ti is relevant to Maxwell discussion, you are free to bring that up here. But most often it is just stream of subjective opinions about non-architectural features of SKUs. So for purpose of having these threads clean, I applaud the decision to separate these two distinct topics. Even bigger purges would be helpful.

I found it strange that those threads stopped happening and the discussion was all in the single architecture thread. I prefer the separate release threads.

Yep, separate review threads have been standard practice for years at B3D. Helps keep that stuff out of the arch thread.

Yep, we've not done a great job keeping threads clean and on-topic in the last couple of years. That's going to change back to the old way of separate topical threads, but I'll make it easier for you to jump to related ones so it's not hard to navigate.

Nvidia is considering a price-cut of high-end graphics cards
Nvidia Corp. is mulling to reconsider prices of select high-end graphics cards in order to further strengthen its positions in the market advanced graphics solutions. If the company proceeds with the plan, it will get considerably harder for Advanced Micro Devices to regain market share it lost to Nvidia in 2014.

One of the ways to boost sales of GeForce products is to reconsider pricing of GeForce GTX 980 Ti and possibly GeForce GTX 970/980. Prices of GeForce GTX 980 Ti and GeForce GTX 980 are very competitive in the U.S., but in Europe and the U.K. they are pretty high. In a bid to make its GeForce GTX 980 Ti more popular, Nvidia may decrease its prices, at least in some countries, according to a market rumour.

Even though Nvidia has a substantial competitive advantage over its rival even after the latter introduced its new products, the company is considering ways how to improve sales its high-end graphics cards.

If Nvidia changes prices of its GeForce GTX 980 Ti and GeForce GTX 980, AMD will have to reconsider prices of its Radeon R9 Fury X as well as Radeon R9 390X in a bid to stay competitive.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...ering-a-price-cut-of-high-end-graphics-cards/

Honestly, I don't think they need to. Nor do I know why the relative pricing of NVIDIA's cards to AMD's should be differ from place to place.

They have to. Otherwise, the market will keep shrinking, and shrinking.... and it will become worse for them.

They probably don't need to drop prices to maintain the status quo. The only reason would be to gain market share and put the squeeze on AMD's potential Fury X profit/unit.

Back