NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

this is yummy.
my dream computer now has :
FX-4300
16GB ddr3
top end GT 640 with 2GB gddr5, GPU overclocking and silent cooling
256GB SSD + NAS storage
350W PSU
Xonar sound card (I own those latter two items)

nothing really high end but that would be a beast for me.

Why don't you dream of something Intel + ATi? :mrgreen:

:devilish:

BTW: It's a "beast" today but tomorrow it will be..... :D What are you going to do with so much memory and so slow processor? :oops:

Yeah what the graph is showing is pretty clear. I'm just not sure why they even bothered....

Because it shows their latest product in favourable light?

Why use that wording then? Why not say "Units sold globally" and cut out all doubt? Sounds like a load of marketing crap to me.

I found this.

The vertical axis is labeled as "Units Sold Out Globally" but there are no numbers attached to it, making things incredibly vague.

When I asked for clarification all I was really given was that "it means sales of boards from AICs to distributors, system builders, e-tailers and retailers." This indicates that we are talking about boards either on Newegg.com, at Fry's or being sold through system builders like Maingear and Puget Systems.

The term "sold out" gave me a bit of pause - but when questioned "is it fair to translate 'units sold out globally' to 'units sold globally'?" I received an affirmative.

http://pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-claims-GTX-680-sales-outpace-GTX-580

What they are doing is simply trying to justify the close to nonexistent availability. Their marketing machine is simply working but it would be much better if they direct these efforts in something worth it.

People don't graze grass. :D

What they are doing is simply trying to justify the close to nonexistent availability.

http://eu.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?family=GeForce+600+Series+Family

Different 690s, 680s and 670s at stock. just one example.

Things aren't that bad over here. Availability has been decent since the launch. I bet EVGA's own EU store ships quite high volume and they have had somewhat good availability from the launch.

What exactly is the problem with this 60 % higher than 580 sales figure? I mean obviously the supply is tight especially in NA, but it's clear they are moving.

ps. I know $ is cheaper than €, but that is what we always face.

this is yummy.
my dream computer now has :
FX-4300
16GB ddr3
top end GT 640 with 2GB gddr5, GPU overclocking and silent cooling
256GB SSD + NAS storage
350W PSU
Xonar sound card (I own those latter two items)

nothing really high end but that would be a beast for me.

Honestly you'd be better off buying an Athlon II X2 or X4 than the FX-4300. That CPU is abysmal.

A Core i3 would also work.

What they are doing is simply trying to justify the close to nonexistent availability. Their marketing machine is simply working but it would be much better if they direct these efforts in something worth it.

When I went to the local pc store to buy my HD 7970, they had several (populated, I asked) boxes of GTX 680 standing there. It was a mid-sized store (KM electronics) in a mid-sized town in northern bavaria. There really is no issue with availability here in germany. (Dunno how often I wrote that).

When I went to the local pc store to buy my HD 7970, they had several (populated, I asked) boxes of GTX 680 standing there. It was a mid-sized store (KM electronics) in a mid-sized town in northern bavaria. There really is no issue with availability here in germany. (Dunno how often I wrote that).

I have no idea why you had several boxes out there, maybe this moment in time coincides with the period of time when there was some availability there http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp, I put the link few posts earlier but no one cares to comment.
So, this means- currently there is availability in USA via newegg but nonexistent in Germany in one of their biggest online stores. Exactly the opposite to what the situation was few weeks ago.
I suspect this is part of their strategy to try to camouflage the low availability, plus the marketing efforts to support this line of thoughts.

At this point, I think there's little reason to doubt that Nvidia is selling all the cards they can make, and that number is higher than they would have expected given their last card priced in this range. I'm sure they're taking all the production capacity TSMC is providing at this price point. What would you suggest they do differently - raise prices?

Honestly you'd be better off buying an Athlon II X2 or X4 than the FX-4300. That CPU is abysmal.

A Core i3 would also work.

it's not the topic, but it should be enough, it's a piledriver with the funny clock mesh thing so it should be back to phenom II X4 performance plus minor things (AVX, AES-NI) and I up the clock two years down the road.

16GB ram so that I can never run out of it. AMD CPU because I get an iommu on the motherboard. nvidia GPU because I'm a fanboi (but I can run an AMD card as secondary one)

At this point, I think there's little reason to doubt that Nvidia is selling all the cards they can make, and that number is higher than they would have expected given their last card priced in this range. I'm sure they're taking all the production capacity TSMC is providing at this price point. What would you suggest they do differently - raise prices?

Well stated.

And it seems that UniversalTruth has trouble understanding the truth that every GTX680 produced is sold instantly. In the USA (demand is far outstripping supply). I am still constantly getting notices from NewEgg that various GTX680's are in stock but as soon as I click the link it again shows Sold Out. They are selling that fast.

What would you suggest they do differently - raise prices?

Of course not- actually what they need to do is the opposite.

1. Relocate more hardware engineers resources where appropriate in order to have better collaboration with the foundry which should inevitably result in drastically improved yields- AMD doesn't have such (so emphasized) issues with HD 7900 series.
2. Talk with TSMC to instantly improve manufacturing capacity- if demand is that high and they can't improve yields.
3. Reduce previous generations prices- this will have the effect to offload the pressure and people's need to buy exactly 680. Given its weak computation capabilities too.
4. Or in case of lying- stop lying that you don't have sufficient supply- simply stop that artificial high price keeping.

I have no idea why you had several boxes out there, maybe this moment in time coincides with the period of time when there was some availability there http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp, I put the link few posts earlier but no one cares to comment.
So, this means- currently there is availability in USA via newegg but nonexistent in Germany in one of their biggest online stores. Exactly the opposite to what the situation was few weeks ago.
I suspect this is part of their strategy to try to camouflage the low availability, plus the marketing efforts to support this line of thoughts.

I don't think that this is a point-in-time issue or do you really believe Nvidia will also influence all of those german online-shops to fake availability when in fact there isn't?
http://geizhals.at/de/?cat=gra16_51...ren+&asuch=GTX+680&v=l&plz=&dist=&xf=132_2048
(this is preselected to GTX 680 & „in stock“, sorted to lowest prices)

UniversalTruth said:
1. Relocate more hardware engineers resources where appropriate in order to have better collaboration with the foundry which should inevitably result in drastically improved yields- AMD doesn't have such (so emphasized) issues with HD 7900 series.
More engineers does not fix capacity issues. What makes you think yields are an issue? And wouldn't this shift in engineering allocation result in delays in front-end design and thus delayed market introduction? (Naively assuming that a front-end designer can be swapped at will into a process related function.) And given that all fabless companies have very close cooperation with their fabs, why do you think Nvidia doesn't? They've been shouting from the roof that they do.

2. Talk with TSMC to instantly improve manufacturing capacity- if demand is that high and they can't improve yields.
You think they aren't doing that already?

3. Reduce previous generations prices- this will have the effect to offload the pressure and people's need to buy exactly 680. Given its weak computation capabilities too.
Most people want a 680 probably already have a 6970 or 580. Or they decided to skip a generation and wait for this one. Also, it would drag down ASPs of the lower performance 28nm products. A short sighted tactic with low reaching negative results.

4. Or in case of lying- stop lying that you don't have sufficient supply- simply stop that artificial high price keeping.
Are they currently lying?

I do see anything particularly sinister going on: supply is decent, but demand is obviously exceptional.

Back