NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

For that particular product line, yes. All share same B8 chassis, safety features, AWD drivetrain (everything past transfer case), and most interior, body panels, etc. The different first letter of the model name (A4, S4, RS4) is based on the performance level of the car and associated model specific features.

If we are going to keep using car analogies, Intel does the same thing in a way except with the suffix and prefix swapped.

Audi has RS4, S4, A4

Intel has i5-2500K, i5-2500, i5-2500S, i5-2500T

For that particular product line, yes.

What's your corresponding definition of a graphics card product line? There are so many examples of products with feature differentiation within the same generation I'm not even sure why we're going down the silly car analogy road....

:D Something really interesting:

34ecltc.jpg

Nvidia: Geforce GTX 680 sells 60 percent better than GTX 580

:giggle: :oops: :oops: :oops:

You missed the point. It's not the letter in an Audi models name that represents the chassis.... it's the NUMBER. A4, S4, RS4.... A5, S5, RS5.... etc.

No I didn't it's just that your car analogy was quite terrible. If you put A/S/RS4 into the same segment due to the chassis size, it's much more appropriate to compare them to say the GF100/110 lineup, same size chips, varying performance.

gtx 680 sold seven units, over the same period that gtx 580 sold four units! a great success indeed.

And why are you implying the GTX 580 had terrible sales during the first six weeks?

That seems entirely reasonable to me. The GTX 680 is a much better-positioned product than the GTX 580 was.

I personally wasn't able to get a GTX 680, but I now have a GTX 670 and really like it. Haven't had the time to seriously put it through its paces yet. But one thing I do love is that it is extremely quiet. Combined with a Shuttle Intel Z77-based mini case (SZ77R5) with an Intel Core i7-3770 (Ivy Bridge), I have an almost completely silent computer. The refrigerator in the next room is far, far louder while I'm sitting at my computer, even while playing video games.

gtx 680 sold seven units, over the same period that gtx 580 sold four units! a great success indeed.

Hmm...

If I remember correctly, there was never a problem with GTX 580 availability, even it was more than perfectly fine.
However, this means the sales were terrible, partly because of the ultra high pricing which doesn't help to improve sales, relatively poor reputation given the issues.

Now, if you go there (http://www1.hardwareversand.de/708/NVIDIA.search?rp=1) you will see only red for GTX680's availability with delivery more than 7 days.

I suspect there is another force which has an influence on it. Do you think that someone buys all of them for other purposes to generate this effect? :???:

That seems entirely reasonable to me. The GTX 680 is a much better-positioned product than the GTX 580 was.

I personally wasn't able to get a GTX 680, but I now have a GTX 670 and really like it. Haven't had the time to seriously put it through its paces yet. But one thing I do love is that it is extremely quiet. Combined with a Shuttle Intel Z77-based mini case (SZ77R5) with an Intel Core i7-3770 (Ivy Bridge), I have an almost completely silent computer. The refrigerator in the next room is far, far louder while I'm sitting at my computer, even while playing video games.

Then you are lucky to have silent power supply and other fans.
If I take my computer case as a reference, then the video card is the last part (of course, when fan speed managed properly) to generate too much noise.

It means they are selling all they can make, which at this point is 160% of GTX580 at the same point in time. Really shouldn't be that hard to understand...

Last edited by a moderator:
It means they are selling all they can make, which at this point is 160% of GTX580 at the same point in time. Really shouldn't be that hard to understand...

Yeah what the graph is showing is pretty clear. I'm just not sure why they even bothered....

this is yummy.
my dream computer now has :
FX-4300
16GB ddr3
top end GT 640 with 2GB gddr5, GPU overclocking and silent cooling
256GB SSD + NAS storage
350W PSU
Xonar sound card (I own those latter two items)

nothing really high end but that would be a beast for me.

Some of them already seen in certain market. At least this one. They do appear to support up to 4 displays (unless there isn't enough space for that many ports in their bracket.)

192-bit bus? Isn't GK107 128-bit?
My best guess is if there are 192-bit GT640 then just like the OEM versions some of the GT640 variants are going to be chips other than gk107 (in particular gf116, if it's like OEM with one sm disabled). Hence also the comment that the top gt640 will have 384 ALUs, which otherwise wouldn't make sense (well at least I don't think a gk107 with only 192 ALUs, i.e. 1 SMX branded as GT640 would make sense, but clearly making sense is a criteria which was thrown away long time ago for graphic card names anyway, so it could happen...).

Why use that wording then? Why not say "Units sold globally" and cut out all doubt? Sounds like a load of marketing crap to me.

Back