NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Kaotik, Sep 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. psurge

Regular

Shouldn't matter - if you assign 10 to each vALU, you stll get 40 cycles of latency hiding out of one vALU instruction across all 40 wavefronts, no?

2. OpenGL guy

Veteran

Edit: Yep this is right.

#3842 OpenGL guy, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  3. DavidGraham

Veteran

I wonder why ???

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/03/28/nvidia_kepler_geforce_gtx_680_sli_video_card_review/5

4. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

5. Jawed

Legend

I think Gipsel was considering a scenario of heavy register allocation and using the same register allocation for both architectures.

He was indicating that whereas Kepler cannot hide ALU latency with relatively few hardware threads, GCN has no problem.

---

Why does a MAD take NVidia 11 cycles, but AMD 4 cycles?

---

The ability to copy from work item to work item should be very nice, obviating moves through local memory. This is similar to Larrabee's shuffle.

6. Psycho

Regular

Multiplayer is MUCH more cpu demanding.

The issue could easily be some memory reporting problem - ie that the CFX setup reports 7GB vram, which BF3 then tries to fill (/doesn't care about cleaning up stuff not currently used), leading to massive vram swapping.

7. DavidGraham

Veteran

I wouldn't call the difference of 3 FPS losing , however MP is more memory intensive than SP , bigger maps , larger textures and more alpha and particle effects (explosion , smoke ..etc) .

The game is multi-GPU aware , it wouldn't do that .

8. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Well in the 4x MSAA test it was 5FPS (or 12%) that seems significant.

It's clearly doing something odd with the radeon's as it's sucking up double the vram.

9. boxleitnerb

Regular

How would it do that if it only has 3072MB? Clearly a reporting error. This is nothing new.

10. Gipsel

Veteran

Yes, but my argument targeted the latency hiding capabilities (for memory accesses) indicated by the number of wavefronts/warps/workgroups in flight (and the time the issue of instructions takes for these) in case of a certain (high) register allocation.
    Thanks!
    Actually, according to some low level tests it is between 18 and 22 (hot clock) cycles on Fermi depending on register bank conflicts, so maybe nV opted for a constant 11 cycles to get rid of the variable latency for the static scheduling.
    I assumed a high register usage, so this isn't the case anymore. ;)
    For such heavy threads the number of workgroups in flight is simply limited by the size of the register files where nV's GPUs have a disadvantage.
    Exactly.
    The scalar ALU with its separate register file actually should enable AMD to get away with slightly less register usage than nVidia in quite a few cases, as for instance constants or adresses which are the same for all elements in a wavefront can be supplied from there and don't have to be in the vector registers.
    Are the 4 cycles confirmed by some low level benchmark?
    Considering the simplifications in the ALUs compared to the VLIW architecture (which had 8 cycles arithmetic latency) it appeared quite possible (and the AFDS presentation mentioned back-to-back issue of vector ops without alternating between wavefronts [vector to scalar issue needs to have a 4 cycle latency panelty, btw.]). But seeing that GCN is actually able to hit frequencies above 1 GHz (my initial guess was not higher than VLIW), it could still be 8 cycles, even if then the architecture presentation at the AFDS would have been misleading in this point.

If it is indeed 4 versus 11 cycles I can only speculate that the reasons are similar to the ones for Fermi: Even as Kepler goes down the route to a much more static scheduling, the actual register access could still be part of the effective latency (not hidden by result forwarding incorporated to the pipeline) while it is not for AMD.

I will wait for benchmarks of this feature. If it is as fast as in case of Larrabee, it contradicts a bit NV's mantra of late to localize the register files as close as possible to the ALUs to get a low power cost. But with some additional latency is appears like a nice idea as it should still be faster and lower power than an exchange through the local memory. Maybe they are even partly reusing the shuffle network for the local memory (which they duplicated for each scheduler/register file set in Kepler?) and just save the writing and reading to the local memory SRAM.

#3850 Gipsel, Mar 30, 2012
  11. psurge

Regular

My understanding was that the 4 SIMDs operate in parallel and have a fixed set of wavefronts assigned to them - why are you adding their individual latency hiding abilities?

Ah, right. It seems to me NV's GPUs are at a disadvantage in either scenario though.

12. OpenGL guy

Veteran

You're right, I goofed. The SIMDs execute simultaneously so even though it's 4 clocks per instruction, that execution overlaps with the other SIMDs.

#3852 OpenGL guy, Mar 30, 2012
  13. lanek

Veteran

This is a damn good question. I have not 3 monitors for test sadly,. but i will suggest they try the same without FXAA ( only 4xMSAA ) just for see what happend. But yes, something is strange is their test, if the 680 take only 2040mb vs 4000mb+ for the 7970's...

#3853 lanek, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
  14. LordEC911

Regular

Wasn't Nvidia touting some sort of feature that would drop the FPS on the peripheral monitors to increase the FPS on the central?

Is there anyway to track the specific FPS across all three monitors to see how and when this feature is working?

15. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

This was a rumor launched by one of the usual sites. But I never saw it mentioned in any review. Probably as much as feature as the HW accelerated physics and $300 launch price.

16. LordEC911

Regular

Yeah, you are right. Now that I think about it I didn't see it mentioned in a single review.

17. Tridam

Regular Subscriber

When a surround setup is enabled (ie 5760x1080), the new drivers enable you to emulate efficiently a single monitor resolution (ie 1920x1080) without having to disable surround (they add black on both sides of the rendered frame). You can now keep surround enabled at all time but decide in which game to actually use it. There is still some cost compared to disabling surround but it should be negligible.

As usual with some leakers they understand half of what they read and are fine with it ;)

18. kyleb

Veteran

That is a nice feature though.

19. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I suppose it's already been asked but I don't feel like digging through 20 pages. ;)

Is the chip-known-as-680 a midrange GPU pushed to high clocks so NVIDIA didn't have to push out their big high end chip that is probably not yielding very well? (See unhappy presentation about TSMC)

20. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

It's a GPU that is comparable to GF104/114 in physical terms (size, power envelope) so perhaps you can think of it in whatever terms you thought of GF104/114.

As for the big chip (GK110, apparently) it's probably not yielding well, but that's normal for a big chip on 28nm. More importantly, it's just not ready for launch.