nVidia joins forces to create DirectX Raytracing (real time ray-tracing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Well, the holy grail seems more achievable by the day.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2018/03/19/announcing-microsoft-directx-raytracing/

Judging from threads of the past here in Beyond3D, it was bound to happen when the NV30 from nVidia was about to be released, then in 2006 or so it also seemed achievable...

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/real-time-raytracing-real-soon.30308/

Additionally, raytracing was a thing when I had my first PC, in late 1995, but I had never seen it real time, just people creating renders that took days to render on the PCs at the time, to show the screenshots at Siggraph and the like.

When the images where finally rendered on your PC ,they looked amazing, I still kinda remember some of them..

But now, 20 something years later... is this finally the real deal? nVidia has joined forces with DirectX team to create DirectX RT for DirectX 12.

Engines like UE4, Unity, Frostbite, and companies like 4AGames and Remedy have mentioned they are ready, and Metro Exodus and Battlefield V could implement it.

According to nVidia, current hardware can also implement this technique but only Volta has specific and optimised hardware for the task.

Microsoft and Nvidia have been working together to create an industry standard API designed specifically around interactive, real-time raytracing. The big M are adding DirectX Raytracing (DXR) to DirectX 12 as the industry standard API, and the green team are building that out to create RTX, a set of software and hardware algorithms designed to accelerate raytracing on the Nvidia Volta architecture.

There are 2 demos out already:

edit: I wonder if this has something to do with the announcements from Unity engine, planned for today.

Last edited:
What Volta powered console is coming up that justifies this in the console forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back